What you would consider as MISUSE of a tarot deck

La Force

I did a reading for myself today, and in the reading this came up;

La Force said:
3. What are your limits as a deck?

Ace of Deduction (AoP)

Deck: My limits as a deck is " MISUSE "

Which has inspired me to post this thread, to discuss, what you would consider as MISUSE of a tarot deck.

Here is the definition of "Misuse"

verb
misˈyo͞oz/
1. use (something) in the wrong way or for the wrong purpose; to use (something) incorrectly
2. to treat badly or abusively; maltreat; to treat (someone) unfairly

noun
ˌmisˈyo͞os/
1. the wrong or improper use of something. misapplication.
2. Obsolete. bad or abusive treatment.

Looking forwards to hearing what you have to say and I am very curious as to what all of you will come up with.

La Force

My thoughts of Misuse = Burning a deck, hmm how many do you think have done this, naughty naughty
Slap the deck, when it back talks you :D
Abandoning the deck, in a public area hoping someone will pick it up
Playing strip poker with it :D

Scarlet Woodland

Hmm I guess the two biggies for me... ooh hang on make that three would be:

1) To pry unethically and repeatedly into someone else's business/private life.
2) To give biased, agenda driven or downright manipulative readings to another for one's own ends - did that make sense?
3) An oldie but a goodie... asking the same question over and over and over again, ignoring the answers till you force the result you want.

That or, you know, to grout the bathroom tiles ;)

bonebeach

1) Same question over and over again, or endless "clarification" cards
2) Really specific long term future questions ("dear tarot, please tell me where and when I will meet my future husband, what color his eyes and hair will be, and what type of shoes he will be wearing and what will we name our children.")

and vaguely, the only physical misuse I can think of is

3) anti-tarot or anti "witchcraft" propaganda, like if someone bought a deck and set it on fire just BECAUSE it was a tool of the devil, or something.

If you wanna buy a deck and set it on fire for, I dunno, magical ritual purposes or just because that floats your boat, hey, you do you. I wouldn't, but if you have the cash to burn and you are tired of literally burning dollar bills, then have at.

edit: I would love to find someone's (complete) abandoned deck in public!

G6

Leaving it on a shelf unused.

The Happy Squirrel

To use it as a tool for harm and / or to knowingly perpetuate dysfunction in self or others.

La Hierbera

To the current list, I would add excessive use for just about every issue or decision that comes up day to day.

nisaba

To the current list, I would add excessive use for just about every issue or decision that comes up day to day.

This. And using it not to help your clients but to impress them. Or frighten them.

Rosewater

All of the above. Though I wouldn't really be bothered if anyone leaves a deck unused on a shelf - as long as they sell or pass it on with the next spring clean.

La Force

edit: I would love to find someone's (complete) abandoned deck in public!

This I am sooooo quilty of doing, :D you know, when you have a deck that even your friends don't want it, nor can you sell it. hehe feel free to abandon it in a public place where there is lots of people and stand around the corner to watch who will pick it up and watch their face. lol then watch to see if they throw it in the trash. lol Then quickly fish it out of the trash, wait til the next victim comes along and see what they do with it. lol

Great comments above, fantastic.

here is another one to add to this list of ways of "Misusing" a deck

Throwing deck/cards across room, cause you weren't happy with the answer it gave you.

Michael Sternbach

Or throwing it in someone's face (unless you absolutely had to, for reasons of self-defence).