Beginners Guide

meatbox666

WOW!!

I have no planets in my seventh house and it is ruled by Taurus. Is there any where I can look to see if a very significant relationship will happen in my life? Who will the person be(zodiac wise and how long before it happens) I have pluto in my 11th house and that house is rulled by Virgo. Oh but my Pluto is in Libra.

Diana

Oh my. I think I may have to leave Astrology for my next life. Or never. Or is there something called a beginner's beginner's beginner's guide?

*Diana scurries back to the Tarot forums with grateful thanks but with a slight headache. :D *

Keslynn

Diana said:
Oh my. I think I may have to leave Astrology for my next life. Or never. Or is there something called a beginner's beginner's beginner's guide?

*Diana scurries back to the Tarot forums with grateful thanks but with a slight headache. :D *

I know it seems daunting, Diana, but if you can learn 78 cards, you can get the basics of astrology. :) There are some pretty good astrology sites on the web as well as some good beginner books. Some websites you might want to look at are
www.bobmarksastrologer.com
www.mountainastrologer.com (check out the beginners section)

:) Kes

isthmus nekoi

hope you're still here, zorya!

Again, *major thanks*, Minderwiz for taking the time to answer all these questions! <rounds of applause>

zorya> I don't know as much as Minderwiz, but I'll try to answer your questions the best I can..

1) Yes, even if the planets aren't *exactly* 30/60/90 etc degrees, they can still have an aspect (although if they are spot on, the influence of the aspect is stronger). The amount of lee-way you get in terms of degrees is called an orb. I can't remember exactly, but I think the breakdown is like this:
conjunction/opposition: something like 8 degrees off
squares/trines: 6-8
sextiles and other aspects:2

2) OK, so conjunct would be 0-8 degrees. Conjuncts/oppositions are the strongest aspects so they get the largest orbs.

3) Yes, 2 planets can be conjunct but in different houses or signs. However, I believe this makes the conjunction less influential. ie. you can have a stellium (a whole train of conjunctions if you will) but a stellium that's in the same sign/house is much more significant.

4) planet in sign = actor and role
planet in house = actor and genre
This is a great analogy but another one goes like this: the planets are people, the signs are the clothes they wear, the music they listen to etc and the houses are the places they like to hang out...

5) This is a complex question but in general, yes... planets in the signs or houses they rule are kind of 'where they feel at home' so to speak. To bring it back to the actor analogy, Mars in Scorpio in the 8th would be like:
Arnold Swarzeneggar (sp!) (the planet), playing a beefed up macho man (the role), in a big explosion blockbuster action film (the genre).
But of course, Arnold's shown he's capable of sucessfully doing other genres like comedy, or other roles like... an android, a pregnant male etc. Of course, I'm sure there are just some roles that Arnold wouldn't be comfortable in, that he'd have to work very hard at to make it work. Planets are like this too. ie Mars will have a harder time w/homebody Cancer than the signs it rules like action oriented Aries.
Finally, whether your planet is 'at home' or is in a tricky placement is not the end of the story. You have to see how other planets interacting w/that planet will affect it.

Minderwiz

Aeonx,

The MC/IC axis is the South/North axis in your chart - the MC is the degree of the Zodiac which is directly overhead at the moment of birth - and this is taken as a significator of later career and social status.

The IC is the degree of the Zodiac 180 degrees from the MC and signifies the opposite of career and social status - that is the home and domestic circumstances.

The 'Nodes' are quite a technical thing and best ignored by a beginner - they are related to the points in its orbit where the Moon is close to the ecliptic (the apparant path of the Sun) and are therefore related to eclipses (because at or near the nodes the Moon can block the light from the Sun or the Earth come between Moon and Sun). They are used a lot in Karmic Astrology.

Not sure what you mean in your last point. The Sun can only really be in one House - even if it comes on the Cusp between two, you will place most of its emphasis in the House that begins on that Cusp. If you mean that some of Virgo is in one House and the rest in another, then this is the usual situation - it is extremely rare for someone to be born at exactly 0 degrees of a sign and therefore have whole sign houses. Some Astrologers will use whole sign houses in natal work if they don't know the exact birthtime, though it is more conventional to use either Sunrise or Midday in these circumstances.

Minderwiz

Minderwiz

Meatbox,

An absence of planets in the Seventh doesn't mean no relationships and no marriage. In your case if Taurus is on the cusp of the Seventh your relationships will be ruled by Venus - which is probably the best ruler you could have.

Where Venus is located in your chart and what aspects it makes to other planets may give some clue to the ease with which relationships come along - but you're off to a good start.

I have seen some Astrologers try to work out how many chances of marriage/serious relationship a person is likely to have but I haven't really had chance to see whether it works out over a lot of people.

Minderwiz

AquarianGoddess

Meatbox,

As I recall, you have Venus in Scorpio (which is VERY alluring!) and although I don't remeber the degree, I believe that transiting Neptune is, or soon will be squaring (90 degrees) the beautiful Goddess!

This aspect can certainly bring love into your life....but....it also requires mounds of caution on your part. Neptune rules "dreamy" states, illusion, confusion and delusion. It would be wise for you wear your "reality glasses" during this transit and to enlist the assistance and opinions of friends, family, etc., before committing to a long-term relationship with any romantic interest.

After saying ALL OF THAT....please tell us the degree of your Venus (perhaps NONE of the above applies....yet!)

AG

AquarianGoddess

And by the way, Mickey Rooney who didn't have any planets in his 7th, was married seven or eight times!

AG

isthmus nekoi

jump start!

Alright, it seems everyone's getting into this now, so after this upcoming weekend I'm going to have the mythology stuff posted to the Scorpio grp. Other areas I'll definetely cover later:
tarot
Halloween
alchemy (basic)
Jung (basic)

leriel

wow, this is my first post :) I have a few questions (hope they aren't too silly):
* I've done my natal chart on astro.com and it showed that I have ascendant in Taurus. However, I've also made it using Astrolog 5.40 and the result was different. I know the best thing would be if I made the chart myself, but I don't know how. Could you give me some tips how to make it
* and a question about stellium- I have five planets in the same sign, but only three of them in the same house in conjuction ( Uranus, Sun and Moon in Sag 9 house). should I take the two into account (they're Saturn and Venus in 8 h., each of them conjuct Moon)
*when I look at my chart I can see that each house covers different number of degrees. Why is it like that?
I hope I stated it clearly
leriel