The more I see it, the less I like it.

Holly doll

I've never been able to bond with a RW deck; I call it the "cranky old man deck" })...
Hubby loves it, but it does nothing for me - too flat, formal & "directive" for my tastes... :rolleyes:

ravenest

What do you mean with outgrow that stage of reading?

I started with Thoth took simple meanings from the titles but had trouble stringing them together in a reading.

The RW pics on the minors helped me get a wider association to apply a card meaning with an event in someone's reading and I found I could string each little 'stage scene' in the RW minors together into a little play.

After a while I realised this was too specific to those images and it wasnt always applicable to the complexities in someones life and card reading. That was the stage I started to feel I had outgrown the need for visual clues and triggers. For me RW minors had an energy, that was translated into a visual scene with people and I related that ... or 'extracted' the meaning behind the card and applied it via the image on the card to the person in the reading .... but I kept having to modify it and look back to the original energy of the card (that generated the image) ... after a while I realised it was better to have an abstract image, and when I had learnt ( drilled actually - so the associations were embedded in the unconscious) the associations I didnt need a transitory RW image any more. Nowadays I can read cards just with a number on them; like a blank card with a 6 and the word 'cup' or XI . But with Thoth I like to re-read the symbols in a detailed reading ... I find them richer (especially in major cards) and overall more significant .

So I went back to Thoth and saw the whole thing in a new light, learnt a lot more about what the cards meant, there associations and correspondences and saw how all those things inter related to the associations with other cards .... then the deck 'opened up' to me like a giant crystal matrix unfolding.
I do not want my bag being stolen or lost with a nice deck on it

Just put a tag on it " Dont steal a witch's bag with her tarot cards in it - you know what will happen ! " ;)

ravenest

I've never been able to bond with a RW deck; I call it the "cranky old man deck" })...
Hubby loves it, but it does nothing for me - too flat, formal & "directive" for my tastes... :rolleyes:

The deck your hubby uses, you call "cranky old man deck" ??? :laugh:

Richard

Rider-Waite is probably adequate for beginners until they become experienced enough to toss the training wheels and move onward and upward to the Tarot de Marseille. :joke:

celestial

I like the coloring on some of the RWS clones -- like Aquatic, Radiant and Illuminated -- much better than the standard deck. They're sort of a best of both worlds.

ivanna

I started with Thoth took simple meanings from the titles but had trouble stringing them together in a reading.

The RW pics on the minors helped me get a wider association to apply a card meaning with an event in someone's reading and I found I could string each little 'stage scene' in the RW minors together into a little play.

After a while I realised this was too specific to those images and it wasnt always applicable to the complexities in someones life and card reading. That was the stage I started to feel I had outgrown the need for visual clues and triggers. For me RW minors had an energy, that was translated into a visual scene with people and I related that ... or 'extracted' the meaning behind the card and applied it via the image on the card to the person in the reading .... but I kept having to modify it and look back to the original energy of the card (that generated the image) ... after a while I realised it was better to have an abstract image, and when I had learnt ( drilled actually - so the associations were embedded in the unconscious) the associations I didnt need a transitory RW image any more. Nowadays I can read cards just with a number on them; like a blank card with a 6 and the word 'cup' or XI . But with Thoth I like to re-read the symbols in a detailed reading ... I find them richer (especially in major cards) and overall more significant .

So I went back to Thoth and saw the whole thing in a new light, learnt a lot more about what the cards meant, there associations and correspondences and saw how all those things inter related to the associations with other cards .... then the deck 'opened up' to me like a giant crystal matrix unfolding.

Just put a tag on it " Dont steal a witch's bag with her tarot cards in it - you know what will happen ! " ;)

Ahahahah :)
I love this tag! I would like to put it on it, but my tarot hobby is almost a presidencial secret
:D

Marseillee, I never tried it, seems difficult.
I may ask for one for christmas :D

ravenest

Rider-Waite is probably adequate for beginners until they become experienced enough to toss the training wheels and move onward and upward to the Tarot de Marseille. :joke:

The 'archaic flamboyant man's deck' ;)

ravenest

Tell that to the 'deposed Kings' :)

One thing I didnt like about RW was it seemed behind the times as far as sexual equality goes. It doesnt seem 'sexually liberated' to me.