Greenie on eBay

gregory

Indeed, Emily - White Box A is NOT greeny, for one. I have both A and B ! :D

Yes Sulis - it is odd ! But I rather like the greenies ! I suspect it is the old "can't get it any more so it must be good" thing !

Nevermore

:) Gregory, that's exactly the one i'm bidding on. Hope no one takes it off my hands! I'd love to sit at my table and read with an old greenie.

I think it does have to do with the box missing. If it was in a white box I think it'd have more attention. I've actually seen someone selling a new deck (with white strips on the back) with an old white box. Go figure!
Sulis and Gregory- hey, sometimes old is gold!:)

Thanks for the scans, Abrac and Emily! That is really something else, that green.
Maybe the borders were intended to be a lighter colour like white or grey and the green was an accident and it covered the whole picture, making the borders green in the process.

Lillie

Greenies.

I like them.

I have one that is well green and another that is not at all green.
But which has the borderless backs and the red and black hex.
The green seems to have been variable.

I believe that the borderless back style (with varying amounts of green, and the red and black hex) was printed by USG and sold in white boxes from 77 or 78 until about 2000, which is when my green greenie dates from. The non green one dates from probably the late 70's early 80's.

I believe that Weiser also sold the same deck in the green 2 of discs box.
I believe that this was exactly the same deck but in a different box.
However I do not know this for certain as I have never had one of them. But if this is true then greenies can come in green boxes as well as white ones.

To confuse the issue both weiser and USG are now putting the mordern decks with the bordered backs into both the white box and the green 2 of discs box.

Emily

Hi Nevermore,

Just wondered - did you get the Thoth?

gregory

Lillie said:
To confuse the issue both weiser and USG are now putting the modern decks with the bordered backs into both the white box and the green 2 of discs box.
Wot, there are still white boxes on sale ???? :eek: Wow, I didn't know that !

Lillie

Hmmm.

Well, not sure.

I have seen new style decks on ebay with white boxes.

Don't know if people are just putting new decks in old boxes, or if they are being sold like that.

But I have seen more than one.

Other than that, not sure.
I have to admit I was making an assumption form half a dozen ebay auctions.

The point was meant to be that a white box does not necessarily mean a greenie.

For that reason and others.

gregory

Indeed. My first greenie came in a wooden box (with no UCH), and the second (bought for $5 because although it was missing a card, it had a UCH at least !) in a white box that was so badly damaged that it could have belonged to any old deck....

It is all deeply weird and I shall go and have a beer.....

Lillie

Also, if you go on abe there are lots of new decks being sold with the white box as an illustration.

Now maybe they come in a white box, maybe they are new old stock and are really old ones, but it would not be safe to assume that because of the box in the picture you will get a greenie.

Lillie

There is a deck on ebay right now.

GREENIE

It is being sold as 'a special and collectible greenie'.

However, check the card pics!
They are nicked straight off Tarot Garden!
Not the cards you will be getting at all!

Dean

Lillie said:
There is a deck on ebay right now.

GREENIE

It is being sold as 'a special and collectible greenie'.

However, check the card pics!
They are nicked straight off Tarot Garden!
Not the cards you will be getting at all!

Yes i have this exact copy in my collection in the white box dates from 1978 - 86 my cards inside have been kept in its original cellophane wrap, i just wanted to keep mine just like it has just been bought, the white box still looks quite new after all this time.