Re-building my collection; recommendations?

rainboweve

Onyx is a good grounding and protecting stone. I've got a 12" high onyx pyramid--I love it.

Selenite is great. It's cheap, too. I have spheres, wands, and tealight holders made of it.

Best bet? If there's a rock and gem show in your area, go! Get to know the dealers--a lot of them will give you screaming deals on stuff.

Thanks Darkmage, will definitely look into getting some onyx! I've added it to my list as one of the grounding stones to look for.

I don't know much about Selenite, so I'll have to do some research, but what do you personally recommend Selenite for? :)

I've never thought to go to a rock & gem show actually, could be interesting. I'll ask/look around and see if I can find any. Thanks for the tip!

Darkmage

We have a HUGE rock and gem show every January on the Mesa Community College campus. It's run by the local geology group. Ask around. If you live in CA there should be tons of resources available.

Selenite is gypsum and tends to be very soft. It can also absorb water, so if you live in a humid climate, it may get damaged over time. It has a lovely cat's eye sheen to it and can be found in several colours. I have some in white, which is most common, and a sphere in orange that's just fun to play with. As for magical properties, it's linked with the Moon. I don't use mine very much as it tends to be fragile. I recommend it for something nice to look at and as conversation pieces, but YMMV. This is where Google-fu comes in.

Granite and marble are also great grounding stones. I picked up a black granite floor tile for use as a trivet under my incense burners. You can find single marble and granite tiles at any hardware store and they'll run you about $5 each. I want to get a white marble one for various things. It's also cheaper to get a 12" white marble floor tile at Home Depot to use as a pastry board or serving plate than it is to pick up a marble board at Williams-Sonoma. Soap and water cleans them both. *shrug*

rainboweve

We have a HUGE rock and gem show every January on the Mesa Community College campus. It's run by the local geology group. Ask around. If you live in CA there should be tons of resources available.

Selenite is gypsum and tends to be very soft. It can also absorb water, so if you live in a humid climate, it may get damaged over time.

Granite and marble are also great grounding stones.

Thanks Darkmage! I looked into a few gem shows in CA and actually found out that there is one right in the middle of my hometown in September! Who would've thought... :D There is also one nearby where family lives in July, so I might end up making a trip down there just so I don't have to wait until September.

Selenite is so very beautiful! I think I have seen this crystal before, but didn't know what it was. I do worry about it's potential to be eroded by water - seems extra fragile! :( It seems that Selenite is used a lot for drawing out impurities and activating higher intuition as well as healing. Will definitely add this to my list. :)

Interesting about the granite and marble as grounding stones! I'll definitely have to try that. And I'll definitely be checking out the home improvement store versus the fancy cookware ones :)

Awkward.turtle91

Angel aura is new to me - had to read up on it! Is there any reason in particular you recommended Angel aura? :) I did have a moonstone previously, so I will add that to my list, though I don't think I ever used it much, it was one of those stones that's pleasing to look at.

I really should get myself a book on crystals, it's been years that I've gone without one. Seeing as I'm starting over I should probably add that to my list. :p

No reason as such other then it looks absolutely stunning and is a beautiful cluster to go in the collection.

X