5 swords

nisaba

That is the usual interpretation of the 5/Swords and how I would see it in this context. Can you tell us why that wasn't your view of it?

<smile> When I was young-in-Tarot, I used to have difficulty separating the Five and Seven Swords, I can understand the confusion.

That, and a two particular Majors. I found that as long as I had certain misapprehensions about the Majors in question, my decks behaved as if my idiosyncratic and -er- unusual reading of them was correct, and only when I did a bit more reading and modified my understanding of them, did they come out with more orthodox meanings.

Could it be that if for their own reasons the OP has a definite take on this card, then it could be giving them that message anyway?

Thirteen

hat, and a two particular Majors. I found that as long as I had certain misapprehensions about the Majors in question, my decks behaved as if my idiosyncratic and -er- unusual reading of them was correct, and only when I did a bit more reading and modified my understanding of them, did they come out with more orthodox meanings.
Heh. Well, that may be what's happening here, and it's altogether fine if so...but I fear it makes it a bit difficult for us to offer help. :D

Are we to take the card as meaning what it typically means and assume that's the message, or do we take the card as meaning what the OP thinks it means because the cards want to get across that message and know that the OP confuses these cards? Is the message confusing because of misreading that card? Do the cards know that help would be asked for, and that we'd go for the traditional meaning and that's what they want to get across?

:joke: Now I'm totally uncertain how to help. :joke:

QueenPen

I've received this card almost daily for the past 10 days and wonder what the cards are trying to tell me? I interpret the 5 swords as the desire or need to conceal something. To keep one's agenda private.

Am I missing something?

It could mean defeat from an argument, in which someone wasn't playing fair. It could also mean manipulation. In any case, 5 swords is not a fun card to draw.

Your interpretation is that of the 7 swords, not 5 swords.

QueenPen

Heh. Well, that may be what's happening here, and it's altogether fine if so...but I fear it makes it a bit difficult for us to offer help. :D

Are we to take the card as meaning what it typically means and assume that's the message, or do we take the card as meaning what the OP thinks it means because the cards want to get across that message and know that the OP confuses these cards? Is the message confusing because of misreading that card? Do the cards know that help would be asked for, and that we'd go for the traditional meaning and that's what they want to get across?

:joke: Now I'm totally uncertain how to help. :joke:

Oh! Hmmmm... I agree with you, 13!

Yuri

I really like this

This is very nice, Thirteen! I agree with paragraph 1 as another possibility. And I really like the approach in paragraph 4. Thanks so much!
Yuri

It doesn't help us understand why you think the 5/Swords is a card about concealing something or keeping your agenda private. Where did you get that?

The 5/Swords, typically, shows a man who has just won two swords off these other guys who are walking away in disgrace and shame. Hence, it is a card that warns against rashly getting into fights, arguments or bets. It implies that the odds are stacked against you, or that you might be facing someone meaner, better, or just able to get you to make mistakes. Someone who will deliberately push your buttons so that you will fight them and lose, big time.

Thus, this card seems to be saying that while it may not be in your best interest to compromise, fighting isn't going to win you anything either. It may, in fact, lose you more.

It would probably be best for you to set down the 5/Swords and say to the cards, "It's not in my best interest to compromise, but you're advising against fighting. What should I do?" And put down a one card answer over the 5/Swords. (Quick moderator note: if you do this, and you want to discuss the answer, do not post it in this thread; that one-card reading should be given its own thread in YR with links connecting the two threads :))

That is the usual interpretation of the 5/Swords and how I would see it in this context. Can you tell us why that wasn't your view of it?

Yuri

small correction of what I wrote

I meant paragraph 2 (interpretation) and then pragraph 4 (approach) :)

This is very nice, Thirteen! I agree with paragraph 1 as another possibility. And I really like the approach in paragraph 4. Thanks so much!
Yuri

RavenDarkWind

I would interpret it as someone being mentally cruel, verbal abuse, stuff like that.