Ten of Cups for a new romantic interest? Does it even make sense?

Kgirl

I am curious to get your thoughts on this. I always find it a little odd to get the Ten of Cups card to represent someone's feelings in a situation that is very new.

For example, a question about a first date or a new interest that you've only just met. I just can't imagine how Ten of Cups could come into play that early in a situation?

In those instances, could Ten of Cups be a sign of something else? For instance, could it mean:

1. the person is committed elsewhere
2. the person is already married
3. the person feels as much as they can feel for you and it won't go further
4. the person is just very emotional and caring for people generally
5. a more friendly connotation

I would like to know your thoughts and experiences of this card when relating it to a new situation.

:)

nisaba

I am curious to get your thoughts on this. I always find it a little odd to get the Ten of Cups card to represent someone's feelings in a situation that is very new.

For example, a question about a first date or a new interest that you've only just met. I just can't imagine how Ten of Cups could come into play that early in a situation?
It indicates that the client really desperately wants this to be the one. The one where there is a house, and kids. The one with rainbows and cups in the sky.

In those instances, could Ten of Cups be a sign of something else? For instance, could it mean:

I think it's just showing what the person you're reading for really, really wants out of this new relationship. At the moment. Until the other person starts swearing, spending their money and farting in bed. :)

Kgirl

It indicates that the client really desperately wants this to be the one. The one where there is a house, and kids. The one with rainbows and cups in the sky.

I think it's just showing what the person you're reading for really, really wants out of this new relationship. At the moment. Until the other person starts swearing, spending their money and farting in bed. :)

This question was from the perspective of the other person, not the querent. It was along the lines of "what does he feel" or "what interest does he have in me".

Thanks nisaba. I know you don't believe in reading for a third party and some here don't, and its possible this could be what it means.

But for those of you who are comfortable with reading for third parties, I'd really like to know what you think :)

Metafizzypop

I'm guessing that the 10 of cups is coming up not for the client, but for the person that the client is involved with. And yes, to me it makes a lot of sense.

I think this card would represent someone that gets overly excited at the beginning of a relationship, in a possibly non-realistic way. Someone who gets high on the thrill of the new. He/she is all gung ho at the outset, all high on love and romance, and experiencing an excessive outpouring of feelings. But then, some time later, it might be days, weeks or months, the novelty wears off. And then he cools down. And then it's all over because he came back down to reality.

Commitment-phobic personalities do this a lot.

ETA: Cross posted. The reading was about the other person, after all, instead of the client.

Kgirl

I'm guessing that the 10 of cups is coming up not for the client, but for the person that the client is involved with. And yes, to me it makes a lot of sense.

I think this card would represent someone that gets overly excited at the beginning of a relationship, in a possibly non-realistic way. Someone who gets high on the thrill of the new. He/she is all gung ho at the outset, all high on love and romance, and experiencing an excessive outpouring of feelings. But then, some time later, it might be days, weeks or months, the novelty wears off. And then he cools down. And then it's all over because he came back down to reality.

Commitment-phobic personalities do this a lot.

ETA: Cross posted. The reading was about the other person, after all, instead of the client.

Thanks Meta ... yes I could definitely see this representing a rush or a high ... where there are so many emotions. Makes sense. Because it feels like too much too soon that it has an artificial sense to it. I like your take on it.

RaaD

10 of cups may come as over abundance. It is likely that the things are going well, but the relationship may be fully consumed soon and someone from the party will start searching for new opportunities

Citrin

I think it could mean an infatuation that isn't as "emotional" and highly energetic as usual. Sometimes you don't get those crazy butterflies in the beginning, it's more of a stable "yeah this could be long term!" feeling from the start, that feels more calm and deep kind of. If it would show up next to maybe The Queen of Pentacles I could see this. Or maybe next to The High Priestess or Strength.

I also agree with what someone wrote, that it could mean the person is desperate finding the one and starting a family ASAP. If the 10 of Cups would be paired with say, Ace of Wands I could see this.

danieljuk

as well as the great other suggestions about they are rushing into this new relationship with way too much excitement, two other suggestions from me...

- thinking or feeling that they have someone they want to have a family / life / get married with. that "love at first sight" idea.

- the opposite of the idea about the desperate person over joyed by the new person. they perhaps can't believe how good it is going? this just seems too ideal, but they deserve it! almost negative thoughts that it does seem too fairytale like.

Nikita_

I would like to know your thoughts and experiences of this card when relating it to a new situation.

:)

I used to get it a lot for a relationship that was very clearly getting nowhere and it was founded on nothing but daydreams and illusions and fantasies. And I wasn't surprised when the nothingness it was really made of showed the relationship for what it was....and that it only existed in the minds of those involved, but never had a real chance of developing in real life...that's what the ten of cups has always meant to me, anyway.

Kgirl

10 of cups may come as over abundance. It is likely that the things are going well, but the relationship may be fully consumed soon and someone from the party will start searching for new opportunities

Thanks for this RaaD. That makes sense. I could see this representing a honeymoon period but they can die out pretty quickly