the painted caravan by basil rakoczi

auntie

Has anyone looked at this recently? It was published in 1954 and it seems like the book is mostly admired for its artwork. The author claims to be coming from a gypsy point of view and the illustrations are original, but the Majors look in the Marseille style, and the Minors a kind of combo Marseille and RWS. The descriptions of the images of the Minors definitely seem to be describing the images of the RWS Minors with a few slight differences, but the interpretations have a more mundane gypsy style feel to them. It's a nice throwback if you're interested in a more profane use of Tarot. In a note at the back, Rakoczi compliments Waite's work but says, "...although from the Gypsy viewpoint he may have overemphasised his Rosicrucian bias." But then, Rakoczi's spread is a Kabbalistic Tree of Life, which doesn't seem quite organic. I don't know anything about the writer. From the little I've googled, he was Hungarian Gypsy on his mother's side. I'm just curious if anyone knows anything about him or the book? Here's an old thread with great images of the cards posted:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=69023