Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 297 : April 8 - April 14

CharlotteK

Tabula Mundi is fantabulous. I can't pretend I understand much of the Kabbalah and Astrology but I am learning something about it. Got the book, tree of life diagram and degrees/decans chart with me when I'm reading. The artwork is fantastic, the cardstock is great and I love the holographic backs. This deck is a definite keeper and will be worth investing time and effort in.

Green Faerie

Just a funny little story - I dropped my Tarot Mucha last night, when I was rearranging my shelf, and put a little dent in the corner of the lid. I was so irked! I'm normally so careful with my decks, and it was just a pure klutzy moment. I'm trying to convince myself that it gives the box character, makes it look loved. :)

Rose Lalonde

Tabula Mundi is fantabulous. I can't pretend I understand much of the Kabbalah and Astrology but I am learning something about it. Got the book, tree of life diagram and degrees/decans chart with me when I'm reading. The artwork is fantastic, the cardstock is great and I love the holographic backs. This deck is a definite keeper and will be worth investing time and effort in.
I knew little about astrology when I got TM. I've learned even when I didn't notice I was learning. -- As a little kid I had Garanimals clothes, so I learned to wear the elephant tagged top with the elephant tagged pants, and my outfit would match. For me Tabula Mundi is like a grown up, esoteric version of that :p since cards that share a sign or planet have matching/related symbols in the art.

Carojulie

Just a funny little story - I dropped my Tarot Mucha last night, when I was rearranging my shelf, and put a little dent in the corner of the lid. I was so irked! I'm normally so careful with my decks, and it was just a pure klutzy moment. I'm trying to convince myself that it gives the box character, makes it look loved. :)

Hi Green Faerie, I hope to bring you a little warmth by sharing how I see the signs of wear on my own decks !

I, like you, am taking very good care of my decks. And, for that matter, not only decks, but all the objects that I care for (books, pretty shoes, china teacups.....)

I systematicaly wash my hands carefully before shuffling or handling the cards
I keep each deck secure in a snug homemade bag, or in its original box if it is sturdy and pretty enough, and I keep all decks in a trunk in which they are carefully arranged so no deck risks bumping its corner or having its edge distorted in any way.
This trunk I keep in my bedroom on the second floor of the house (so it cannot be flooded in case the nearby river decides to overflow)
When I use the cards I clean the table AND use a spreadcloth to protect the cards ; I would never just casually spread the cards on any old surface.
I ask my querents to either wash their hands or spray their hands with my homemade spray cleanser, before they touch the cards. And I try to keep their touching the cards to a minimum.

But, my husband is different, he thinks that if an object is loved, it will show its wear, and that a perfect prim object is necessarily unused, hence unloved. He thinks that, if we love something, we use that someting, and that life being tough, the object in question will automatically show signs of having gone through some tough moments.
If I followed his lead, all my decks would be torn, wine/beer/juice spotted, sticky, sporting bent cards, with crumbs grating the lamination, missing cards etc.

When I think of it, I believe that both my husband and I are right in a way, and that the ideal is somewhere in between :
A totally pristine deck is difficult to maintain for long if it is indeed used.
A disrespected deck, full of smears and bent, will look sad.
But a deck that shows a discreet sign of wear or a bump will look good, if it also shows signs of having been well cared for and protected.

So yes, your Tarot Mucha does look loved and beautiful, and the bump on the side of the box is a discreet sign of character !

I hope this little shared piece of information and thought will cheer up your mind !
:)

csmith0406

Hi Green Faerie, I hope to bring you a little warmth by sharing how I see the signs of wear on my own decks !

This is lovely, thank you for sharing this! So true for decks and all things.

RavenOfSummer

I'm in with the Vision Quest paired with the Bird Cards set. Thanks VG! :)

Love this combo! I'm currently awaiting Bird Cards in the post so maybe I'll try this once I receive it :) I've felt drawn to the Vision Quest since spring came around.

BodhiSeed

Love this combo! I'm currently awaiting Bird Cards in the post so maybe I'll try this once I receive it :) I've felt drawn to the Vision Quest since spring came around.
Thank you - I'm enjoying them a lot this week! :)
The illustrations of the Bird Cards are beautiful, though I often do my own research on the characteristics of the birds to come up with a meaning of my own for them rather than using the book.

VGimlet

Time for the new thread already - happy Easter weekend for those who celebrate

New thread is here.

Green Faerie

I, like you, am taking very good care of my decks. And, for that matter, not only decks, but all the objects that I care for (books, pretty shoes, china teacups.....)

I systematicaly wash my hands carefully before shuffling or handling the cards
I keep each deck secure in a snug homemade bag, or in its original box if it is sturdy and pretty enough, and I keep all decks in a trunk in which they are carefully arranged so no deck risks bumping its corner or having its edge distorted in any way.
This trunk I keep in my bedroom on the second floor of the house (so it cannot be flooded in case the nearby river decides to overflow)
When I use the cards I clean the table AND use a spreadcloth to protect the cards ; I would never just casually spread the cards on any old surface.
I ask my querents to either wash their hands or spray their hands with my homemade spray cleanser, before they touch the cards. And I try to keep their touching the cards to a minimum.

But, my husband is different, he thinks that if an object is loved, it will show its wear, and that a perfect prim object is necessarily unused, hence unloved. He thinks that, if we love something, we use that someting, and that life being tough, the object in question will automatically show signs of having gone through some tough moments.
If I followed his lead, all my decks would be torn, wine/beer/juice spotted, sticky, sporting bent cards, with crumbs grating the lamination, missing cards etc.

When I think of it, I believe that both my husband and I are right in a way, and that the ideal is somewhere in between :
A totally pristine deck is difficult to maintain for long if it is indeed used.
A disrespected deck, full of smears and bent, will look sad.
But a deck that shows a discreet sign of wear or a bump will look good, if it also shows signs of having been well cared for and protected.

So yes, your Tarot Mucha does look loved and beautiful, and the bump on the side of the box is a discreet sign of character !

I hope this little shared piece of information and thought will cheer up your mind !

Thank you so much for this, Caroljulie! I've had an incredibly busy week, and so I wasn't able to answer you before now, but your post was very comforting to me. :) I, too, try to be very careful with my decks - I keep them in deck bags, then in their original boxes, make sure my hands are clean, make sure I am using a clean surface, and all of my decks live on a bookshelf. I don't think I am quite as careful and meticulous as you are :), but I do try not to abuse my decks, or leave them anywhere they might get spotted, torn, wet, lost, etc. I couldn't go quite so far as your husband (although I have to admire him for the way he sees so much love and life experience in the wear and tear on decks). After reading your post, though, I felt that the small dent on my Mucha was a sign of life, one of those little incidents that happen that life just sometimes happens, and that maybe it has indeed given the deck some character, since it is otherwise pristine. Thank you so much for the comforting words! :) <3