My thoughts on the Vampire Tarot by Robert Place

ilweran

If you don't mind reading it on a computer or printing it out (or if you have an ebook reader) it's free on Project Gutenberg :)

redflash

I've kept looking at scans online of this one....I...MUST...RESIST.....

firefrost

Warning – Waxing lyrical here…!

I’m settling in with my deck…and I’m happy!

A few things I want to say :)

I’m glad everyone’s getting their level of trimming/cornering sorted out. I decided to do mine as I have because I wanted to leave a millimetre of the suit’s colouring around the edges. And I really do think it looks better without the white border, but each to their own, whatever it takes to enjoy the deck!

I must confess I have never read Stoker’s book. I grew up watching Christopher Lee as Dracula and a few others besides but at the time they were just scary films that I loved. I think the first real production of Stoker’s novel that I saw was the one where Frank Finlay played Van Helsing. Even after that, again, the only one that I can remember being true to the book ( Dracula crawling head first down a wall, like a lizard, him giving his brides a baby to feast on and being in London, a younger version of himself) was the Gary Oldman production.
It may well be that it’s just my memory playing up, but these are what come to mind.

At this moment in time, I can’t decide whether or not to buy the book. Must say, the annotated version one looks appealing but…err...if anyone gets the one with Kostova's input, it would be good to know if it's worth buying that particular version for...

Now onto the important part – my deck!

It’s going in the hall of fame in the ‘Decks that blew you away’ thread, that’s for sure. When I bought it, I didn’t actually envisage myself reading with it, I got it because it was the only theme I ever liked regarding decks. Then my good friend Le Fanu asked my opinion, and since I value his I decided to get myself into gear and form one!

My opinion is that this deck had got a lot to answer for, for me personally. I don’t keep journals or write stuff down (please, keeps the gasps of horror to a whisper!) but what do I find myself doing with this deck? Exactly that! The thing is, (I suppose like any other themed deck that I’ve taken no notice of) it’s got a style of its own. Which isn’t RWS. Which means if I want to read it the way Place intended (which I do), I’ve got to learn his meanings.

I’m reading the very interesting book and I’m actually writing notes down. I’ve not done this since – well, since I first decided that learning tarot was for me. And I’m enjoying it.

I picked up the deck to read with almost a week ago, thinking it would probably last a few days with me before I went screaming back to my old faithful. Not so. I’m getting to know and love it. My old faithful was with me seven months before I put it away for this one. I don’t know whether or not I’ll still be reading with Place in another seven months – but watch this space!

If you got this far – thank you for reading and normal service is now resumed!

Le Fanu

Firefrost, Im so thrilled that you too are really enjoying the deck. And I only bought it because you bought it! :D And I know how you´ve been with decks recently, how less and less appeals, and that only the best will do! It was this that made me keep going back to his one and not-quite-being-de-enabled.

I actually think that the extensive synopsis in the book is enough to work with the deck. I don't think there is any need to really read Stoker from cover to cover, but I feel like doing this as a kind of parallel activity to getting to know the deck (btw, I ordered that book which Soothsayer recommended). That and the fact that there is bound to be a discrepancy between the text of Dracula and the Hammer Horror Dracula. I remember being totally blown away when I read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein; the romance of it all, the emotion and mood and beauty, the sheer humanity of the tale, and it bore no resemblance to the predatory bolts-in-neck image Id grown up with. Im sure Dracula is the same. I bet it is an emotional read which can be taken at many levels, which is why I really want to read it. However, the cards really do speak for themselves already, and I haven't finished Place's accompanying book yet.

And there is so much in the accompanying book, so much information and I think of all the decks Ive purchased recently, this is the deck which has the sharpest, clearest relationship between the concept of the creater and the final product/the deck. Place knew exactly what he wanted to do with tarot here, and executed it very well and explains his concept, in the book, very precisely. There is a lot to absorb here, but it all ties in.

inanna_tarot

Frostie! You put down the Anna K for the Vampire tarot?!?! This has to be a must have deck..
and I love vampires. The only dark deck that I love and often gaze at is the Vargo which is just sublime.

But now Im coming over to the Vampire tarot, pondering and if its good enough for Frostie its gotta be good enough for wee me ;)

Gods im on a deck binge lately lol.

Jewel

Inanna, it is real good. This deck was very well researched and thought out. I am really impressed with it.

Asher

A new book...

for vampire/Dracula fans has just come out: Bram Stoker's Dracula: A Documentary Journey into Vampire Country and the Dracula Phenomenon.

It complements the Robert Place book beautifully. It is full of illustrations including Stoker & his contemporaries, pages of the Dracula manuscript in Stoker's hand, some pages from the typescript of the novel, and more. It seems very thorough and well-researched. Check it out here.

I've just started reading it and finding it fascinating. I'm hoping it will be food for thought as I work with the Vampire Tarot.

Asher

firefrost

Oh my - Le Fanu, Sezo - I didn't realise I influence you both quite that much!

Sezo - I'm not going to go on about this one like I did with the Anna K because Anna is a deck for the millions, whereas IMHO you do have to be a fan to want this deck. But, if you like vampires, then I say yes, go for it! :D

Asher, thank you for that book link, it sounds really interesting.

Le Fanu

firefrost said:
But, if you like vampires, then I say yes, go for it!
And even if you don't like vampires, go for it! Go for it whatever, it's fantastic! There's no excuse not to buy it! :D