how to choose a spread?

fortune

hiya!

just looking at the spreads on llewellyn is overwhelming enough! here there are so many more!

what's a good way for a beginner to choose a spread?

thanks,

f

Knight of Wands

I would chose a spread with fewer positions...sounds obvious, but thats what I would do if I could re-start my tarot journey...the bigger ones are so confusing and intimidating..

KOW

lunalafey

Do you feel up to a big spread for a dead serious question? or are you looking to excercise your tarot abilities?
I use a spread that best fits the question.
Issues have different aspects, some are more about other people and the enviroment. Then there are interpersonal questions.
When I first started reading, most of the spreads I used where basically the same, either small or large (3 to 15 cards), all covered the past present and future (which is a 3-card spread in itself) and some had other factor cards like the self card and outcome, advise and such.

pepperi

beginner spreads

The obvious best basic one is the three card past, present, future. If you want simple but more cards to be more specific the celtic cross is great. It gives you your answer in one spread.

crazelion

I would start with a simple spread like the 3 card past present and future. That's easy to use for a beginner.

I how make descions on hte spreads I use I think my topic and look on this site to see if they have spread I can't use. If not I do a simple 3 card spreading reading. That's what works for me.

MareSaturni

pepperi said:
The obvious best basic one is the three card past, present, future. If you want simple but more cards to be more specific the celtic cross is great. It gives you your answer in one spread.

I personally wouldn't recomment the Celtic Cross for any beginner. I know many books show it but it IS a complicated one...and can be tiring. If you are tired of those 3 cards spreads, i know one using 5 cards that is simple and gives very direct answers. Besides, it can answer almost any question and is easy to remember. It's named "the Peladan spread" and you can find it here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=40875

Leave the CC for when you're more confident about your skills ;)
No need to rush!

Good luck :)

:TPW Yuko

Sulis

I like smaller spreads best.

I think it helps to get a better understanding of the cards if you're trying to get as much out of each one as possible.

Here are the spreads I use the most.

3 card spreads can answer any question in my opinion.
Here are a few:
Past Present Future
The situation / Problem - Wnat you need to know - What you can do
The Situation - Challenge - Advice
Body - Mind - Spirit
Option 1 - Deciding Factor - Option 2
Yes if - Maybe if - No if
The situation - the viel (what you don't know) - the way forward
The situation - What you need to know about it - What you can do about it - add another card if you like for the probable outcome.

5 card spread

1. The situation / You / the querant
2. Challenge / Obstacle
3. What you can do about it / Advice
4. Who or what will help you / Strengths and resources
5. Potential outcome

OR

1. The situation
2. What you can see
3. What you can't see
4. Advice
5. Potential outcome

7 card spread

Lay the cards in a U shape

1. Past
2. Present
3. near future
4. Advice (if it's a question) - The querant if it's a general reading
5. Energies surrounding the question / querant
6. Hopes / fears / attitude
7. Potential outcome

Love

Sulis xx

pepperi

Celtic Cross

miss_yuko said:
I personally wouldn't recomment the Celtic Cross for any beginner. I know many books show it but it IS a complicated one...and can be tiring. If you are tired of those 3 cards spreads, i know one using 5 cards that is simple and gives very direct answers. Besides, it can answer almost any question and is easy to remember. It's named "the Peladan spread" and you can find it here: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=40875

Leave the CC for when you're more confident about your skills ;)
No need to rush!

Good luck :)

:TPW Yuko
I guess it just depends on the person because when I first obtained my cards, I used the celtic cross. As I got bette then went on to more. I believe I used it for three years then found out about other spreads and now I have been comfortable with the WineGlass spread. I also used to visualize before I actually did any readings so maybe visualize where each card goes and practice!