RWS Tarot 101 Eight of Pentacles

PAMUYA

Eight of Pentacles

When looking into the Eight of Pentacles, I see a man diligently working alone. He shows pride in his work by displaying it for all to see. He is disciplined and driven to get the job done. This card is telling me to learn to enjoy the work itself; it is a part of life’s journey, not to think of work as only for profit. In this card there is a town shown in the distance, perhaps this job is to help the community or others. Working is a part of life; be the best that you can be. A man’s pride cannot be bought, it must be earned.

Direct: Increased income through dedication of work, new skills acquired, attention to detail, persistence will pay off.

Reversed: Need to update skills, shoddy work, cutting corners, lack ambition, ability and clarity, need more education, short term job.

Here is another thread on this card:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=32288 Eight of Pentacles

CheesyChi

Interesting...I like your interpretation.

My daughter and I were looking at this card the other night.

I see a person who has neglected his work by not paying attention, and has to make a lot of amends if you will..he has been somewhat out cast from everyone else (community) and has suffered the consequences..as he didn't keep his work at the best it could be he is now working hard to repair both his work and his reputation..as well as his income potential.
I see the coin on the ground as indicative of him still neglecting it through lack of attention.
He needs to pay closer attention.

Hermotimus

The Eight of Pentacles

One must remember that Waite stated that: "The cards (of the suit of Pentacles) do not happen to deal especially with questions of money" Pg 254 The Pictorial Key to the Tarot (Steiner Pub 1971). Also in his description of the card he states "An artist in stone at his work, which he exhibits in the form of trophies." Waite was always very exacting in his use of the English language and the word trophy means a object that commemorates an event or is an object of pride.

Given this information, the Eight of Pentacles represents an artist creating commemorative emblems. What he is commemorating we do not know, but it would depend on the surrounding cards as Waite states repeatedly in his methodology of spread interpretation. So, he is either creating emblems to commemorate achievements or creating objects for his pride, or perhaps both. This makes the divinatory meanings of this card much more interesting in terms of what it represents. This is a prideful artist creating emblems and as each of the eight emblems is different to some degree, he is perhaps saying that he has much to be proud of or perhaps his pride is overwhelming his true qualities.

Hermotimus

HoneyBea

Hermotimus said:
Given this information, the Eight of Pentacles represents an artist creating commemorative emblems. What he is commemorating we do not know, but it would depend on the surrounding cards as Waite states repeatedly in his methodology of spread interpretation. So, he is either creating emblems to commemorate achievements or creating objects for his pride, or perhaps both. This makes the divinatory meanings of this card much more interesting in terms of what it represents. This is a prideful artist creating emblems and as each of the eight emblems is different to some degree, he is perhaps saying that he has much to be proud of or perhaps his pride is overwhelming his true qualities.

Hermotimus

This brings to my attention at least, that the pentacles themselves have no value it is what you do with them that gives them the value.

It is also interesting to note with this card that the man is working away creating one pentacle after another and so may well indicate here that just because you finish one thing it doesn't mean you have to come to a standstill — it shows that one can be prepared to investigate and even trial the material in order to acquire and hone new skills. Then those skills become of value to one. So it seems to me to be a "motivational card" that encourages one or indicates that one needs to take solid steps towards reaching that goal.

Musing on a Monday morning :)

~HoneyBea~

Teheuti

I always find it interesting to see what people make of the pentacle lying on the ground. Most never notice it, but those who do create all kinds of stories about it being discarded, flawed, forgotten or . . . Sometimes the anomaly reveals more than the major trend.

HoneyBea

Teheuti said:
I always find it interesting to see what people make of the pentacle lying on the ground. Most never notice it, but those who do create all kinds of stories about it being discarded, flawed, forgotten or . . . Sometimes the anomaly reveals more than the major trend.

Hi Mary :)

Ah yes the one on the ground, you know I never see this as discarded or flawed but rather the master copy by which he trys to emulate the others on.

It to me often shows the motivation for which I speak of above, something to aspire to if you like.

~HoneyBea~

Teheuti

HoneyBea said:
It to me often shows the motivation for which I speak of above, something to aspire to if you like.
See - that's what I love about it!

The crowned one

Teheuti said:

I always saw it as the "finished pile" as this artisan is not so sloppy with his work.

I could never decide if the "row" of coins was moving up or down the assemble line. Are they roughed in or finished works of the master?

What I can tell you is he has a direct link to the town and nothing to get in the way of his commerce/work, not even a hill or a gate. He is well commissioned. I should add the sky around him and mostly around his head is close to white, showing clear, pure, focused thought.

minrice

In my Universal Waite it looks like the top pentacle is hanging on the post. Perhaps the others are hanging as well, he has worked so hard on them and has hung them up so they won't become damaged and also because looking at what he has created inspires him to keep going!