RWS Tarot 101 King of Pentacles

PAMUYA

King of Pentacles

When I look into the King of Pentacles I see a man who looks very comfortable and self assured. There is nature all around him with a castle in the background showing his dominant place in society. This king is in a place in life to do what he wishes without worrying what others may think about him. This man is well respected and highly thought of.

Being a retired banker, I have dealt with many King of Pentacles. This picture clearly represents one. One aspect of the picture shows a part of him which many overlook. He is the only king that displays armor, a sign of protection, and strength, he also has his foot of Armor placed apon a head or a helmet (perhaps this is a helmet of someone who has cheated him in business).. what ever this thing is he is placing his foot on, he is making his point very clear “Don’t mess with me!”. He is showing total dominance. In some cultures placing your foot on something is a sign of total disrespect. Successful business people do not get where they are at by letting others walk over them, they are cunning and will not be taken advantage of. This King is generous and enjoys the finer things in life and has a steady temperament, but never violate his trust, for those people he will have absolutely NO mercy.

Threads on what the King of Pentacles has his foot on:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=87541&page=1&pp=10&highlight=King+Pentacles

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57602&highlight=King+Pentacles

Pentacles is the suit of money, everything of the earth, material goods, food , wine, everything that involves the senses. This king is a business man to the core, he is in it for the profit. He is a good provider, husband and father, as long as his authority is not disputed. He is good natured but he is the King of his castle and expects the respect that a king deserves. He will give his time and resources, he knows the more you give the more you receive. He is a good boss who encourages others to succeed. He is trustworthy and a man of his word who will get the job done.

I read somewhere here on the board that they thought of this king as a “kind and peaceful” king. Yes he can be, just don’t mess with his money. ;)

Direct: Successful business man, maturity, self confidence, bounty, influential, a rich man, secure with himself, pillar of the community, generous..

Reversed: Drugs, gambler, easy to bribe, dangerous, do not trust. Will use any means to achieve his goals. Lazy, crude, overwhelmed by family problems

FieryPhoenix

Different take on King of Pentacles

I have a different take on the King of Pentacles. When I contrast this pentacle card with the rest in the suit, it is the only one which appears to have imbalanced excess. Unlike the Queen, 10, or 9 of Pentacles, it does not appear to be in harmony with its surroundings. Rather, this card appears to contain a combination of The Emperor and The Devil as well as the 9 and 10 of Pentacles.

What I see in this card is a man who is asleep, in a stupor, possible refusing to see, or focused solely on the pentacle in his lap. He appears all "hung over" with grapes. Perhaps he is simply weighed down by them. Are those poppies in his crown? If so, combined with the grape image, this can be a man intoxicated with the material world. Perhaps, he is bound to it, similar to those in The Devil card- which his throne resembles. Notice how the area around his throne looks overgrown and the pavement full of cracks. This is quite unlike the cultivation found in the 9 of pents, or the harmony in nature with the Queen of Pents. He also contrasts with these cards in terms of relationships. The figure in the 9 of pents holds the falcon, the hare runs free in the Queen of pents, and the old man pets the dogs in the 10 of pents. The King of pents, however, keeps his foot literally, or symbolically, over the head of a beast. I think this was drawn purposefully vague so as to represent domination over the material- creatures (people) can be material objects to some. Notice that there is a solid (material) wall separating him from the town (or kingdom).

Based on these observations, I would describe this King as being intoxicated with the material which he also seeks to possess and dominate. However, he does not maintain it. He is not connected to the kingdom. He indulges in its resources but does not cultivate them. He exists in stupor, like being drunk or sedated, with his back to the kingdom. Although he believes he rules the material world, it is he who has succumbed to it.

I wish I knew what the yellow flowers in his crown are. I would also like to know what the flowers to his right (our left) side are.

Deoiridh

I have a different take on the King of Pentacles. When I contrast this pentacle card with the rest in the suit, it is the only one which appears to have imbalanced excess....

Notice how the area around his throne looks overgrown and the pavement full of cracks...

However, he does not maintain it. He is not connected to the kingdom. He indulges in its resources but does not cultivate them. He exists in stupor, like being drunk or sedated, with his back to the kingdom. Although he believes he rules the material world, it is he who has succumbed to it.

I wish I knew what the yellow flowers in his crown are. I would also like to know what the flowers to his right (our left) side are.

I see what you mean! He appears to be separated from the city and everything around him is overgrown and decaying. Could the "flowers" in the lower left corner be mushrooms? That's what they look like to me.