The fish in the cup

firemaiden

What is it about the fish in the cup -- the (Knave/page) of Chalices holds on the RWS and other imitators.

Reference to Jesus as fish?

What do you peeps make of the fish?

nisaba

To me it's more Arthurian - the Fisher-King, which ties up with the archetype of the wounded healer and all that other Arthurian stuff.

BrightEye

Did you mean the Page? I always see him as looking into his soul. The fish is an aspect of his soul, but this being a Christian deck, I think nisaba is probably on the money.

firemaiden

BrightEye said:
Did you mean the Page? I always see him as looking into his soul. The fish is an aspect of his soul, but this being a Christian deck, I think nisaba is probably on the money.
Yes, I meant the page. Sorry. Opening post has been edited.

Hm.... how Nisaba, how do you mean, tied up with the wounded healer? What wounded healer.

If it is a reference to the fisher-king, how ? Just because it is a fish?

What do you do with the fish in readings?

jaled

Symbolism

I read that fish refers to Christianism but also to desires. it means fertility, and thus, a symbol of water.

AJ

a fish in a cup can refer to someone or something out of their natural element.

or someone who sees themself as the big fish in the small pond

firemaiden

Oh AJ, that's good!!! Not only is it good, it's perfect for the reading I pulled it in. (What's this dang fish in the cup trying to tell me?) hahahah.

Duhhhhh, now why didn't I think of that???

Marcia959

Maybe this is Gestalt tarot, but sometimes you're the page and sometimes you're the fish. Sometimes, you're both. The fish guides the page. The page transports the fish.

firemaiden

That's gorgeous, Marcia!

Also we have to ask is it an entire fish? or just a roly-poly fish head, and is it being taken out to see a movie?

Major Tom

Eat them up yum. :)