Non-scenic RWS pips (split from Impact pf PCS on the RWS deck)

Richard

In response to closrapexa's post....

For the reasons mentioned, I would like to have a custom set of non scenic pips for the Waite deck, perhaps similar to those of the BOTA. (The inevitable copy-of-a-copy-of-a copy deterioration of the already flawed pips in the "Waite-inspired" decks is even more disturbing.) I love PCS's illustrations, but they, of necessity, do not resonate (please forgive the term) perfectly with the decans. Of course, for the reader who has no interest in the roots or deeper significance of the deck, it doesn't matter.

It seems to me that the Gra people just prefer the symmetrical elegance of that Tree. I.e., it has more to do with æsthetics than practical application. The Gra serves them more as a memory palace than a map of reality. Some of the Gra people are Payne-Towler disciples, so they may be unconsciously imitating her writing style, and, yes, some of them tend to be confrontational, possibly a defense mechanism.

Teheuti

I would like to have a custom set of non scenic pips for the Waite deck, perhaps similar to those of the BOTA.
You can see a few of the Whare Ra Temple Golden Dawn Minors on my blog (see my public profile>Contact>Blog then search on Golden Dawn Minor Arcana or Whare Ra Minor Arcana). The focus is a paper on the Minors by John Brodie-Innes that I transcribed from an original manuscript.

Or how about scanning a b&w version of the deck (or find online) and erase all the lines on the Minor number cards except for the suit indicators! It would be interesting to see what the result is. You could have this deck reproduced via one of the deck print-on-demand companies.

Richard

You can see a few of the Whare Ra Temple Golden Dawn Minors on my blog (see my public profile>Contact>Blog then search on Golden Dawn Minor Arcana or Whare Ra Minor Arcana). The focus is a paper on the Minors by John Brodie-Innes that I transcribed from an original manuscript.

Or how about scanning a b&w version of the deck (or find online) and erase all the lines on the Minor number cards except for the suit indicators! It would be interesting to see what the result is. You could have this deck reproduced via one of the deck print-on-demand companies.
Interesting idea. I may try it for a few cards of each suit and see how well it works.

Babalon Jones

Cool idea! While I don't have enough time or interest to take on another project, I hope someone does and posts the results so I can live vicariously :)

Laura Borealis

Something like this?

It's just a quick and dirty paintover - and I picked an easy one - a lot of them are overlapped by other things in the picture, so they'd have to be partially redrawn.

Attachments

• Seven of Wands.jpg
    Seven of Wands.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 279

Richard

Here are two versions of the 3 of Cups. The two lower cups were the most obscured, so I fixed up the top cup and cloned it over the other two.

Attachments

• 3c_1.jpg
    3c_1.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 259
  • 3c_2.jpg
    3c_2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 254

Laura Borealis

Nice! I can't decide which I like better. Leaving the cups in the original position appeals to me a bit more, I think. Which do you favor?

I tried my hand at the Nine of Swords. I had to fix the bottom swords where the head overlapped, and I took the time to clone the grainy black background because painting over in flat black looked bad.

Attachments

• Nine of Swords.jpg
    Nine of Swords.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 246

Richard

Nice! I can't decide which I like better. Leaving the cups in the original position appeals to me a bit more, I think. Which do you favor?......
I can't decide. Each one has pros and cons.

Teheuti

Wow, these cards are so cool. I look forward to seeing a complete deck.

Could we get this material moved to a new topic?

ravenest

Something like this?

It's just a quick and dirty paintover - and I picked an easy one - a lot of them are overlapped by other things in the picture, so they'd have to be partially redrawn.

HA! As soon as I saw that, my imagination instantly added figures ( not any from the card ... new ones that I have never seen before ) .