Sun + Coffin

Midsummereve

Hello all,

I am using the Gilded Reverie Lenormand deck by Ciro Marchetti.

I would like some feedback on how you guys see the pair Sun + coffin. In my deck, the mummy's head faces right and no part of its body is covered (its feet face left). I am trying to determine whether Sun + coffin means "Great ending" or "Happiness ends", not the same thing at all! Should it be "Coffin + Sun" for a happy ending, literally the end is positive? In which case sun + coffin would point towards happiness ending?

What is your experience with this pair of cards?

Thanks in advance!

danieljuk

In Treppner's interpretations she doesn't concentrate too much on the order of the cards. For Sun + Coffin she says that it's success regained after putting a lot of effort into something. It's more positive than your take. The Sun is a positive card though and can change many negative cards, perhaps both combos are a positive? happy ending and success regained? not sure but just another idea for you :)

I love the Mummy in Ciro's deck!

Midsummereve

In Treppner's interpretations she doesn't concentrate too much on the order of the cards. For Sun + Coffin she says that it's success regained after putting a lot of effort into something. It's more positive than your take. The Sun is a positive card though and can change many negative cards, perhaps both combos are a positive? happy ending and success regained? not sure but just another idea for you :)

I love the Mummy in Ciro's deck!

Thanks for your input here :)

If we read the literal meaning of each card in its order, then obviously the pair reversed takes a meaning that is totally opposite, hence my question.

I guess that what is giving me pause here is the fact that the Coffin card is at the end of a "line" and I read in Rana George's book that Coffin at the end is not a good placement for that card...

CosmicBeing

Sun = Success or revelation or overcoming (just my opinion)
Coffin=Depression, endings, (even seen it to be transformation), illness

[subject]+[adjective] is how I read lenormand
[main topic] + [describer]

I would see it as a depressing revelation or Success coming to an end...can even indicate overcoming depression.

In addition overcoming an illness....Sun can be telling you what the illness is.

light is being shined on a dark time period.

ThtDancerGuy

Hello all,

I am using the Gilded Reverie Lenormand deck by Ciro Marchetti.

I would like some feedback on how you guys see the pair Sun + coffin. In my deck, the mummy's head faces right and no part of its body is covered (its feet face left). I am trying to determine whether Sun + coffin means "Great ending" or "Happiness ends", not the same thing at all! Should it be "Coffin + Sun" for a happy ending, literally the end is positive? In which case sun + coffin would point towards happiness ending?

What is your experience with this pair of cards?

Thanks in advance!

Hey Midsummereve,

I think what you're asking is a stylistic thing. I personally like to stick to a linear layout, in which cards of action, such as the Coffin, affect what is on the right (your left), producing/harvesting what follows on the left (your right). I don't consider what way a card faces to have any bearing on the interpretation because it is my intention for a deck I work with to interpret how I would like it to interpret. :) It's all about what you program your deck to do for you.

So for the combination Coffin + Sun, the Sun is the final/last card and it modifies the Coffin, and since it is an extremely positive card it casts a positive light on the outcome. Oftentimes I have seen Coffin + Sun come up as a resurgence of energy or a revitalization: energy (Sun) after burnout (Coffin). Or it could be a success to come (Sun) after a hardship or initial failure (Coffin)...

Midsummereve

Hey Midsummereve,

I think what you're asking is a stylistic thing. I personally like to stick to a linear layout, in which cards of action, such as the Coffin, affect what is on the right (your left), producing/harvesting what follows on the left (your right). I don't consider what way a card faces to have any bearing on the interpretation because it is my intention for a deck I work with to interpret how I would like it to interpret. :) It's all about what you program your deck to do for you.

So for the combination Coffin + Sun, the Sun is the final/last card and it modifies the Coffin, and since it is an extremely positive card it casts a positive light on the outcome. Oftentimes I have seen Coffin + Sun come up as a resurgence of energy or a revitalization: energy (Sun) after burnout (Coffin). Or it could be a success to come (Sun) after a hardship or initial failure (Coffin)...

Good evening :)

I am totally confused... The Coffin card is the last card in my line, the Sun precedes it. So doesn't the Coffin modify the Sun here?

ThtDancerGuy

Good evening :)

I am totally confused... The Coffin card is the last card in my line, the Sun precedes it. So doesn't the Coffin modify the Sun here?

OH, that's right. I'm sorry, I glanced at your post and saw "Coffin + Sun" and thought that was the combo. lol My bad... You're right, Sun + Coffin is bad news; Coffin modifies the Sun, thus casting a negative, heavy feeling of dread over the Sun's happy, optimistic light. :/

Midsummereve

OH, that's right. I'm sorry, I glanced at your post and saw "Coffin + Sun" and thought that was the combo. lol My bad... You're right, Sun + Coffin is bad news; Coffin modifies the Sun, thus casting a negative, heavy feeling of dread over the Sun's happy, optimistic light. :/

So we agree that Coffin after a card isn't good news. In the case of Sun + Coffin, how could this combo be interpreted? Happiness ends? Success comes to an end? Energy fades? Warmth ends? How about conscious silence?

Talking about the Coffin card, how would you read Coffin + Whip? (curious to see how 2 negative cards are interpreted when next to each other) Something ends in an argument? Problematic ending?

Thanks much!

Midsummereve

Sun = Success or revelation or overcoming (just my opinion)
Coffin=Depression, endings, (even seen it to be transformation), illness

[subject]+[adjective] is how I read lenormand
[main topic] + [describer]

I would see it as a depressing revelation or Success coming to an end...can even indicate overcoming depression.

In addition overcoming an illness....Sun can be telling you what the illness is.

light is being shined on a dark time period.

Thank you! I read Lenormand the same way. So yes, Coffin kind of literally kills everything that came before it, especially when it's at the end of a line, like Cross. It puts a final stop to things, I can't say that I like to see it turn up in a reading :(

CosmicBeing

Thank you! I read Lenormand the same way. So yes, Coffin kind of literally kills everything that came before it, especially when it's at the end of a line, like Cross. It puts a final stop to things, I can't say that I like to see it turn up in a reading :(

Well all endings are not bad.

Sun+Coffin can also mean a diagnosis of an illness. I am not sure what your question was (either can't remember it or I never knew lol).

But...an ending is not always a bad thing.

From my experience a huge percentage of the time coffin signify an ending... only in certain occasions it meant an illness or depression.