Tarot of the Holy Light Revisited...

Barleywine

The art of the deck has always drawn me, and if it lures me into the "continental" system of correspondences, so much the better. Hopefully if there is ever another run the typos will be eliminated.

magicjack

I'll have to say, this addition is only 2 minor errors which can be lived with. The first one was a major typo in my opinion. But I hear what your saying. You know you could get the app. It's not bad at all. Actually it's better because it has some of the books stuff on it. ( A little wordy but interesting )

Barleywine

I'll have to say, this addition is only 2 minor errors which can be lived with. The first one was a major typo in my opinion. But I hear what your saying. You know you could get the app. It's not bad at all. Actually it's better because it has some of the books stuff on it. ( A little wordy but interesting )

Thanks for the suggestion. If it's a Fool's Dog app, I'm out of luck. They don't support the Kindle.

magicjack

Well,. I'm back again and I have a question for those that have this deck. I would like to know something about the 10's. This is what my 10's look like:

10 of Cups Water Trine. Zodiac signs, Cancer, Scorpio, Pisces
10 of Disks. Earth Trine Zodiac signs, Taurus, Virgo, Capricorn

10 of Wands. Zodiac signs, Aries, Leo, Sagittarius. Fire
10 of Swords. Zodiac signs,. Libra, Aquarius, Gemini. Air

My question is,. Why do 2 suits title the cards Water and Earth Trines with the Zodiac signs following and 2 of the suits list the Zodiac signs first with the words just Fire and Air after?

Why don't they all just say Trine on them or else just the element. Am I finding another typo on this?

Abrac

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a typo, but it's an inconsistency and the type of thing that drives me insane. :D

magicjack

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call it a typo, but it's an inconsistency and the type of thing that drives me insane. :D

Yea, sometimes I feel like instead of reading the cards I'm "proof" reading..

magicjack

OK. Thanks for responding. Now I got something else I need to bring up. Back to the Disks in the app specifically. In the extended version of the cards, it will list the astrology of the card upright. (There are different correspondence's for reversed but that's another story). All suits in the astrology titles match what is on the cards. For example..3 suits match the astrological signs on the card. For instance, the 2 of swords on the card says Libra ruled by Saturn. The extended version in the app says Libra ruled by Saturn..OK!. It matches the face of the card.!.! The 2 of disks (which has typos in the 1st, 3rd, and the app printings), says just Capricorn. The card says Capricorn ruled by Venus. The extended version in the app just says Capricorn. It's like that in all the disks. Why does the app, only in the disks, say the Zodiac sign only? Ruled by nothing in the disks? Thank you all for looking at these details. I'm getting ready to send my response back to CPT.

magicjack

I just wanted to come back one more time and explain my last findng "typo" I had about the word "trine" in the 10's I spoke about in the last post. For me it is not a big deal because I see the word "trine" in the soft suits. (cups and disks). I actually like this typo. It separates my hard and soft suits for me visually.

I also want to say just because the Ace of Disks says 1 - 10" (all aces are 1 - 10") and the 2 of disks says 10 - 20" and not 11 - 20" is also not a problem. It still fits in the zodiac wheel whether it's 10' or 11". THe Hermit card is missing the number 9 ,
( I think it's actually there but looks like it's black instead of white ). It's so unnoticeable you would never know unless your picking it apart like I am doing.

These are things I noticed and was curious to know if others had noticed it. In no way they have changed the order or meaning of the the cards. They are only things that need to be tweaked.

I have done my birth chart with the Thoth and RWS and it was very interesting to do it with the "Tarot of the Holy Light" and see a different perspective on it. It's actually very interesting to look at a system that is somewhat different than the Golden Dawn. I say somewhat because I find some things that are the same. Especially the meanings. I find some things that make more sense than the Golden Dawn. I find some things that don't make sense, just like the Golden Dawn. I was very sceptical to even take on something more than I had already let settle in my brain. Strength as Mars? The Chariot as Gemini? I like how the Pages are the seasons appropriately signed to the suit. But in no way it has been difficult or confusing. (You don't really have to incorporate astrology in any deck of cards). These were the correspondence's before the Golden Dawn. (I'm sure there is a debate on that as well).

What I'm trying to say is, don't get too hung up on the things I found in the deck. I've looked very hard and have not found anything that would actually compromise the integrity of this deck. The reviews of this deck really stand true to the deck. I shouldn't be blaming people for reviewing a deck and not catching little typo inconsistency's.

Except for a few cards meanings, you can actually read it with RWS meanings. There are clues in the cards that can trigger your RWS thinking if you choose but also expands your meanings. My next question to CPT (Christine Payne Towler) will be, is this really an Ettellia deck or not? Everyone seems to say it is but I'm not yet convinced. Ettellia was big on reversals and CPT has different astrological associations given to reversals. (Dame Fortunes Tarot by Paul Huson is Ettellia with a TDM flavor, unfortunately I don't use it as much as THL).

I've had this deck for a month now and have spent some time with it. There is a black and white version but I can't imagine it without the brilliant colors. I want it now in the tarot size but the larger addition is in luxurious linen. I'm sure it's not everyone's taste but I'm lovin it more and more.