The characters -> real people or archetypes?

TenOfSwords

Having not read the pictorial key or other specific books on the deck, I'm wondering if the author(s) intended for the characters to be more or less modeled over or inspired from real, historic or otherwise, people.

Is it mentioned anywhere or are they 'just' supposed to be archetypical kings and queens and priests and children with some mythological/religious references mixed into them etc?

Abrac

Having read The Pictorial Key and other books on the RWS, I have not come across anything that ties those images with anyone specific, but in many early decks the court cards did represent specific people. In The Encyclopedia of Tarot, Vol.1, Pg.7, Kaplan gives a list of names traditionally associated with the court cards. The Kings are David, Alexander, Charlemagne, and Caesar for example. I have also read about this in other sources on the history of cards. I have seen pictures of cards that actually have the names on them.

As for the Majors, I think it just depends on the deck. The Balbi and the Medieval Scapini tarots both feature Stuart Kaplan as The Emperor. :D I suspect there may be a lot more of this sort of thing going on than we realize.

Fulgour

I've always enjoyed visiting this website...
http://www.madore.org/~david/misc/cards.html

And remember, Pamela Colman Smith had roots
in the theatre, and enjoyed intelligent men too.
She'd a been able to draw to an inside straight!

TenOfSwords

Thanks

Abrac said:
The Balbi and the Medieval Scapini tarots both feature Stuart Kaplan as The Emperor. :D

So that's what he looks like. Lol

Thanks for clearing it up. It's sometimes a bit unclear in the discussions what is speculation/association and what is stated explicit meaning. Makes it a bit more murky that Waite loved cryptic arrogance (or what to call it) from what I can understand from comments on his writings.. I guess I should get around to actually read it in full sometime. lol

@Fulgour: Thanks for the site. I saw some of the other threads discussing the theatre inspiration(s) and they were pretty interesting... I am supposed to be a catholic in a sort of very watered down way, so maybe that's a way of relating as well. :)

That brings up another issue, the religious character in the death card, any idea what denomination he is or formal title he has?

Fulgour

Tarot MYTH

Abrac said:
The Balbi and the Medieval Scapini tarots both feature Stuart Kaplan as The Emperor.
Balbi did a version of EL EMPERADOR styled after Kaplan
but the card in his deck is 100% Tarot without 1% SRK.

moonmorgan

Fulgour said:
Balbi did a version of EL EMPERADOR styled after Kaplan
but the card in his deck is 100% Tarot without 1% SRK.

I've just rushed upstairs to get my Balbi deck to have a look....... I think the emperor DOES look like SRK but he also looks like Rowan Atkinson (Blackadder) as well....Hmmm.... !!

Fulgour

the real aristocrat

You can see the sketch done for Kaplan of a Balbi-style
"Emperor" in one of those "encyclopedias" by USGames.
But if I had to say about who is on the Balbi Tarot card
my guess would be Balbi himself...in a behaved moment.