Runes

faerieluca

I am interested in added a runes deck orr runic themed deck to my collection and I was looking for some thoughts/suggestions. Ive never really worked with runes before, so I thought I'd throw it out there for others to help me.

PS I tried searching on the forums for relevant posts, but didn't find anything comparing runic decks to one another. If anyone knows of a relevant thread, please let me know!

dvorah ophir

runes

to faerieluca hello
i have recently bought the rune cards from ralf blum and find them exelent and very deep.they are regular size with nice scenery illustration, and one keyword the rune is hidden in the illustration.they are very thoght provocing and you can gleen much from them.with them comes a small vellum bound book that is very deep; for every card a song and menning-for some reverse to. to me ralf blum is the best in his feild and if you want only one set this is the one to get-you will not want another!
best luck -dvorah

Aulruna

Well, Ralph Blum has sparked a lot of controversy amongst Rune practitioners with his historically unfounded introduction of the blank Rune.

So much of his writing is to be taken with a grain of salt. For example, his companion book to the cards links the Runes with the Native American Medicine Wheel ... hmmm. It is my personal belief that the Runes need to be studied and interpreted in context, they are less the "whatever you feel is right" type of divination tools.
All that being said, the cards are very executed and very readable, too.

Among my favourite are these two decks:

Power of the Runes by Voenix, interpreting the Runes in a context of Germanic mythology, and the more abstract, but hauntingly beautiful Haindl Rune ORacle (sadly out of print).

Bernice

......It is my personal belief that the Runes need to be studied and interpreted in context, they are less the "whatever you feel is right" type of divination tools.
I have to agree with this - strongly.

I have an early 'rune set & book' by Ralph Blum. I'm sorry to say, but in my opinion his take on the Runes is far & away the least applicable to these ancient 'glyphs'. (For want of a better description)

The runes pre-date 'cards' by hundreds of years. I have not yet found a rune-deck that satisfies me. The lore of the runes is deep.........

Bee :)

F.M. Tarot

The most powerful rune deck I have is this one: http://www.tarotpassages.com/rune1.htm

It's a gorgeous black and white deck with large cards and the large booklet is wonderfully detailed with lots of information. They are by Tony Linsell and Brian Partridge.

The art really is the best I have ever seen depicting the runes, I wish there were more images available online to show you. You can buy them very reasonably at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Rune-Cards-2nd-Tony-Linsell/dp/1898281343

I too do not agree with much of what Blum writes or states about his Rune 'history'. Just be aware his system is mostly things he just makes up or is his spin on the history or use of the Runes. It works for some people.

dvorah ophir

runes

i am afraid i have sparked a somewhat heated argument... not my intention
i do not know that much about runes- only from the blum cards , and so i dont have your background in this area- all i know is that i dont much like the witches runes, or the power of the runes and for me the rune cards by blum is the deepest in hidden meenings- it gives you so much to think about and his text is very inteligent. (the cards are nice on the eyes to).the set stands on its own.and so what if he incorporate the medicine wheel as well?
does not tarot people like to use astrology and the kabala?
it ads another idea another dimention-you dont have to use it but its a sugestion. open your mindes!
the black and white rune cards look beutiful-maybe i will buy them
just my opinions-dvorah

Wendywu

My favourite runecards are the Nigel Jackson/Silver Ravenwolf ones; the Witches Runes. I abandoned Ralph Blum's writings early on (although I like his cards - I just extract the blank). I still prefer my actual runestones - somehow they feel right and cards feel like a substitute. But the Nigel Jackson images are good

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/witches-runes/

I could easily change my mind in favour of those Tony Linsell cards though - very powerful images.

faerieluca

Thanks for the suggestions! I am really looking for a deck to help me learn the runes until I get around to making a stone set for myself

Aerin

I've got some ogham runes from a twig (Welsh made, turned up in my local art gallery for some reason, flat counters cut across the twig if you see what I mean - they still have the bark on) and also Caitlin Matthews Celtic Wisdom Sticks. My first ever foray into divination was with Ralph Blum's rune set so I have a soft spot for them.

I am far more drawn towards the ogham sets on the whole, but I don't use them very much. I have books though :)

This is partly because the last author I read on the Norse ones went on about cursing people which didn't leave me with a great feeling - and yes, I know that's me.

cardlady22

Adding my extreme urging to Aulruna's suggestion for Power of Runes, even if they are a tad larger than I'd like. They were my first rune cards. I have a mini collection and have owned more.

And just for reference, this is where I tried to find out the different Blum sets that were out there:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=111011

Honestly, if you plan on making your own "real" set later, why not snag a freeware or shareware Rune font and make your own cards, too?
*Dan Smith
*Curtis Clark
* ??unsure, but the font name is Pi Rho Runestones