Mythos tarot - The Devil

mythos

This one went quickly in spite of the fact that it weirded out on me all over the place, and just about every aspect of it changed in its creation process. I swear I must have been 'sleep-painting' because each morning it seemed to have gone through some transition. Anyway ... here goes nothing! Photo is blurry as usual in spite of sharpening it with the software. But, regardless, I am rather fond of this one.

Oh!~ the strange circles are actually mirrors because I was working on the premise that 'Devils 'R' Us'. It was a tad disconcerting to be painting and suddenly seeing your own eye or mouth reflected back, I can tell you.

mythos:)

Attachments

• compdev.jpg
    compdev.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 163

Sidhe-Ra

Gosh, that's fascinating! Mirrors are a wonderful idea, as is the puppeteer idea. What a wonderful exhibition you'll be able to put together of these paintings! You put the ideas across so imaginatively- so much symbolism!

Fantastic work, yet again!:)

temperlyne

I love the haunting feeling this card gives me! The use of words and mirrors really make it speak on a personal level to all viewers as it is very confronting.
The contrast to your lovely empress is huge, your characters all have their own personality yet the cards are very consistent in style.
What size do your paintinga have? I imagine they would look magnificent all displayed next to eachother, creating a magical forrest of color and symbolism.

Rosanne

Hi Mythos- everyone knows that 'Mr Redpants'!!! You got him so Mr/s Everyman!! HA! I know him! Her! Me! Very clever peice of work ~Rosanne

mythos

temperlyne said:
I love the haunting feeling this card gives me! The use of words and mirrors really make it speak on a personal level to all viewers as it is very confronting.
The contrast to your lovely empress is huge, your characters all have their own personality yet the cards are very consistent in style.
What size do your paintinga have? I imagine they would look magnificent all displayed next to eachother, creating a magical forrest of color and symbolism.

Hi Temperlyne,
The canvas's are 75cm X 100 cm (30 X 40 inches, I think????). I'm worried that when I shrink it down to card size most of the words will be lost. It was going to be a lot more confronting, with nuclear power towers (alchemical athanor's gone wrong - reminding us of Chernobyl), and the skinny girl was originally a sketetal figure in front of an Auschwitcz cremation oven, to symbolize all the horrors of all the genocides which we human's have committed. Needless to say, I realised that one can be too confronting, especially given that most of us don't like to admit that 'Devils 'R' Us'.

They aren't displayed at the moment. I'm torn between taking down walls full of paintings to hang these, and keeping some of my older one's up. I also have a couple of really huge paintings that have been standing in the hallway for a year which have not gained hanging status yet. I need a huge shed ;)

Rosanne said:
Hi Mythos- everyone knows that 'Mr Redpants'!!! You got him so Mr/s Everyman!! HA! I know him! Her! Me! Very clever peice of work ~Rosanne

Thanks Rosanne. We sure do know Mr Redpaints. Mum asked why he didn't have horns when his shadow did ... so I went into a rave about Jung's concept of the shadow. She got it, which was cool. Mind you ... Mr Shadow is pure 'Nosferatu at the window'.

Sidhe-Ra said:
Gosh, that's fascinating! Mirrors are a wonderful idea, as is the puppeteer idea. What a wonderful exhibition you'll be able to put together of these paintings! You put the ideas across so imaginatively- so much symbolism!

Fantastic work, yet again!:)

Hi Sidhe-Ra,

Gosh ... can't imagine an exhibition. It would be lovely, but unless I rob a bank to pay for it (I don't want to sell any of these at this point), I doubt that it will ever happen. I'm happy just to be able to show them here and on my blog.

Thanks everyone. This is actually the one I am happiest with. It feels most 'real' to me. The Devil Made Me Do It :bugeyed:

mythos:)

arcanum magnum

tarotdjavo.jpg

from my friend, the doctor- ;)

Unknownspirit

I love this card!
I like how there are all those different words to go along with it and he puppets are a great touch to get the meaning across.

FantasyWorld

Great card Mythos!!! Can really connect with it!

Lost girl

mythos said:
. Gosh ... can't imagine an exhibition. It would be lovely, but unless I rob a bank to pay for it (I don't want to sell any of these at this point), I doubt that it will ever happen. I'm happy just to be able to show them here and on my blog.

Remember if you decide to do a show there are always prints. I was at an art show this past weekend and they had lovely prints of the peices on display. You could also make notecards etc.
That way you can keep your originals and share them with everyone. :)