Pagan Lenormand Oracle by Gina Pace (illustrated by Franco Rivolli)

Lee

[...] the more I look at it, the more I wish that it didn't have a sort of robed chorus line at the bottom of each card.
Le Fanu, I was walking down the street today and this line from your post popped into my head and I started laughing. :joke:

Chanah

I wish there were a 'like' button just for that post, Lee!

metatron3

The back. The back of the cards I just can't.
I could have considered the deck but the back is just ... out of place. I thought LoS had bet on something nice : both niche going out and bringing a lot of fans. Lenormand and Pagan. But the back !! I'm sorry, I can't take my eyes of it ... just like some kind of horror movie you *know* I shouldn't watch but you still have to *know* the end ...

Tanga

Pagan Lenormand!

I just picked this up from my local shop.
...Things I'm not too keen on. The tenuousness of many of the images. In the booklet it says that Lenormand does lend itself to being translated through the pagan theme. Not so sure on that. Pagans in robes on the deck of a modern ship (Card 3) is an example. The animals cards - dog, stork, bear - are presented as ectoplasm-coloured dream-like spirit guides coming out of meditation in a forest clearing. And in the modern mouse card - nibbling on a table with Coca Cola and crisps!

...However, I think the weirdest thing was my bemusement at why there were three lady cards and only one man cards. My first thought was - " are Pagans more likely to be lesbian than gay men?" That must be it.
Oops. Not a good sign if the man card looks like a woman (I hadn't paid attention to the number; yes it's number 28). Very confusing...

Bwahahahah! OK - so I'm 3 weeks late now, so my comments may be struck-off here or something...

Ahem... as a modern Pagan myself, I ask - What is wrong with card 3? - Pagans in robes on the deck of a modern ship? Don't you know that Pagans dress in robes even today? :). So - really - it's not tenuous at all. (my favourite robe is purple - and my mother made it for me, much to her bemusement :-D . Hey - well - she's a far better seamstress than I am.).
And why not have ectoplasmic animals?
And ahhh - what's wrong with Coca cola, and crisps? Lots of modern Pagans partake of these (regardless of/or in ignorance of, what they may represent).

AND - have you never met/seen a man that looks like a woman?? Lol. (surely not? - there've even been some real ones, glaringly obviously on TV recently).
Pagans - just the same as everyone else - run through the whole spectrum of gender - including LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender). Your comments could all be construed as politically incorrect (or simply mal-informed. 'mal' being a deliberate choice since we're on visions of 'old style paganism' and horror.). :)
I'm not offended (I laughed so much!) - just wonder whether you realise this? And whether you were actually serious.

The back. The back of the cards I just can't.
I could have considered the deck but the back is just ... out of place. I thought LoS had bet on something nice : both niche going out and bringing a lot of fans. Lenormand and Pagan. But the back !! I'm sorry, I can't take my eyes of it ... just like some kind of horror movie you *know* I shouldn't watch but you still have to *know* the end ...

Errr... what's wrong with a Triquetra?? It is today - quite a popular modern Pagan symbol.
It's associated with Odin, and with the principles of 3, that Pagans are keen on (e.g. Maiden, Mother, and Crone Goddess - 3 in 1.).
I would comment that it is rather boringly rendered. Bring on more colour and complimentary and/or contrasting details, I say (the more - I guess - 'standard' Lenormand that I have, has a circle of angels on the back of it - ala illuminated manuscripts. It's the petit de Mlle.Lenormand).

Now in terms of the decks interpretation Lenormand style - I cannot comment - as I'm clue-less about Lenormand, and that's why I've just bought the deck that I thought might most easily 'speak' to me, in an effort to make learning smoother for myself.
:-D
This is my very 1st visit to the Lenormand section of AT incidentally - seeking enlightenment.
Lol.

(I think they're too big though - certainly too wide... I hunker after a pocket or mini size).

AND btw - a robed chorus line could be the in-thing - if one is in a modern day coven performing a ritual, or in some other such 'secret' group/society - of which there are many.

Lil Red

I've been wanting this deck for a while now due to it being based on Pagan. Now looking at the images more closely I cringe at the some images. There are just some images that doesn't really has to be there. For instance having people in the bird, the sun card (it's beautiful, but when you do the grand tableau you won't focus right away), the garden, and etc.

I am not in favor of the deck, but the cards are beautiful. It's just not a deck that I'll buy. That's my opinion though I am a bit curious how it would look like in a grand tableau. Would the images be easy to see or would there be some difficulties in identify the cards?

That's the question.

Le Fanu

I've read with it. It's quite big for a grand tableau so you need a decent sized banqueting table to start with. But the deck is full of such needless, unnecessary stuff that really needs skimming off. In an ideal world, this deck, The Rivolli Lenormand, would be reissued in a 2nd edition with all the robed prancing removed.