The Current State of the Lenormand Community

Teheuti

For a Lenormand card reading, I expect a reader who reads the Lenormand cards, and traditionally - i.e. not someone who reads the cards like tarot, has not learnt the basic guidelines or rules, or knows nothing about the GT method (even if they don't employ it in the actual reading).
This is a good point. If I'm going to pay a goodly amount of money for an hour Lenormand reading then I want someone who really knows the Lenormand system and isn't just going to use Lenormand cards as a Tarot-substitute in a Celtic Cross spread or even read Lenormand cards in some kind of free-form/intuitive/psychic/channeled manner that could be done with any oracle deck. I'd want someone who really understands the Lenormand process and can maximize the information that appears in a spread. (I've seen several Lenormand readers read the same GT separately from each other and get almost the exact same information; it's like they are translating another language for me.)

OTOH, if I go for a psychic reading or a general card reading, I probably wouldn't mind it if the reader threw down a few Lenormand cards to clarify or check something. I'm not as likely to question or even care HOW they get their information as long as the reading is insightful and helps me.

The problem is that the Lenormand community is made of both of psychics (including wannabe psychics) who like the Lenormand cards and of people who want to be able to use and translate this special Lenormand language. The two don't easily mix.

Seaqueen

Ever hear of Chanah? Chanah was, not so long ago, probably the first one to blog about the Lenormand cards in the English language.

Chanah was one of the "select few"who was an original pioneer in bringing Lenormand to the English speaking community which made it possible for the Lenormand cards to gain popularity.

"It is because of "our" dedication and hard work that the gravel road was paved for a smoother Lenormand cartomancy ride." Madame Seaqueen.

frelkins

Le Fanu for Deity

That's my explanation - a fiery combination of the rise of social networking, the cult of the closed group and a lack of concentration span. But it's a timely debate. That's a good blog post and thanks Tag for bringing it to our attention.

I hereby baptize myself in the cult of Le Fanu's never-failing awesomeness. . .

Sar

When I learned to draw and paint, I went for the Sight Size technique of the old masters. You can't draw if not.

When I learned to play trumpet, I learned classical musical theory. I have no patient for "musicians" who can't read notes.

When I learned to read Tarot I first learned the traditonal way of doing it, I rotelearned every traditional card meaning and and how to read them together to see the entire story. And I don't care much for readers that never bothered to use time to know the traditional meanings of the cards, you have to have something to fall back on when the intuitions fails you.

When I now am going to learn Lenormand I go to the ones who are familiar with the old ways. And when I feel secure (in about 3-5 years) I will try to break free and see what I can do with Lenormand my self.

It is a matter of discipline. One need to commit fully to the craft, not try to bend the craft to commit to one self.

Tag_jorrit

When I learned to draw and paint, I went for the Sight Size technique of the old masters. You can't draw if not.

When I learned to play trumpet, I learned classical musical theory. I have no patient for "musicians" who can't read notes.

When I learned to read Tarot I first learned the traditonal way of doing it, I rotelearned every traditional card meaning and and how to read them together to see the entire story. And I don't care much for readers that never bothered to use time to know the traditional meanings of the cards, you have to have something to fall back on when the intuitions fails you.

When I now am going to learn Lenormand I go to the ones who are familiar with the old ways. And when I feel secure (in about 3-5 years) I will try to break free and see what I can do with Lenormand my self.

It is a matter of discipline. One need to commit fully to the craft, not try to bend the craft to commit to one self.

This. Exactly.

Lee

Moderatar note:

Hey folks, normally I would just let this go, but after four posts like this, I really need to remind everyone:

We like thoughtful posts that contribute your thoughts or opinion. Don't post 'Me too', 'I agree', 'Well said', 'I have this deck too', 'bump' type one line messages, as these will be removed by moderators.
From the Aeclectic Tarot Forum Rules.

Lee, Lenormand Moderator

Sar

I am sick and tired of grown ups that have not figured this out. Instant gratifications is to fool yourselves of the higher pleasure of mastery.

Vanchica

I'm wondering where the Lenormand community has gone

There are some fascinating old threads here from about two years ago but at least two of the very knowledgeable and frequent posters were banned (unrelated to Lenormand) and the conversation seems to have died down, teaching/feedback from experienced and knowledgeable is minimal

I have found two very active groups on Facebook, one of which is lively but is there perhaps only so much to talk about when it comes to Lenormand? Is that why there's so little conversation and so much desire to re-invent the cards with new decks and 'intuitive' readings?

Is the South American community more active, more engaged? No mention I can find of their craft here. Is the European community? I do see a number of European readers teaching on YouTube that have the attention of modern students.... but I don't know where everyone is talking to each other!