Scythe directionality

Aster Breo

I owe you an apology, I believe, Aster Breo - I think I was not really understanding your initial query (which is what I began to think early into this, last night)! I see what you mean very clearly now. I hope I did not come off as patronizing - and to be honest, I was having such fun looking up images of the cards that I kinda got carried away ;) I loved the one with the cow and the Scythe! :laugh:

Thanks for bringing up such an interesting question! Also very grateful to 1Eleven for illustrating the point (no pun intended! :laugh:)

Oh, no worries! I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and you did clarify things for me.

I have to give the whole directionality thing some more thought, to figure out whether/how it fits into my own reading style. But at least I understand the Scythe directionality better now.

And that is a very cool card. :-D I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the deck.

Padma

Aster Breo, I had no real idea about directionality until I watched Malkiel Rouven Dietrich's excellent youtube videos - he has some 60 videos all told in English, and they illustrate very well how the Lenormand works in the traditional German sense. I loved his directional takes for the Scythe, the Fox, the Snake, and the Mice cards...now I cannot read any other way! In fact, I had to switch to a deck that featured the Lady card facing to the right - because I was getting messed up reading her future to the left, if she faced that way...

ETA I am glad that I did not come across in a way I did not intend! ;)

Teheuti

Traditionally Scythe is always a card signifying Peril or Danger! It is less dangerous when several good cards surround it.

For instance, if you are looking at a GT, then you might ask yourself: Where is the greatest danger or peril shown in the reading? Immediately I'd look to Scythe. If there are lots of good cards around it I can sigh with relief! — and then check out Coffin, Cross, etc.

If not surrounded by good cards and it is immediately to the right of the Significator I figure the danger is immanent. If it is immediatey to the left of the Significator then I'd figure the person has very lately encountered some dangerous, probably painful situation. If over her head, then it is weighing on her or she might be being forced to cut something. If it is under her then it is more likely that she is wielding that scythe deliberately.

In line readings it tends to modify the card to its left with further details or a result shown on the right. It's a strong indicator of "No" in Yes/No readings.

I use a lot of different Lenormand decks so I don't pay that much attention to directionality unless it screams at me to do so.