Is there a card that you never quite 'get' or relate to?

Barleywine

Also, I think where we differ is in your use of planets as an alternative to a zodiac sign...whereas I stay with the zodiac sign...the planets that rule the sign being implicated. All being said, I see that you are not inclined to mix astrology with the tarot. I rather enjoy the additional facets astrology adds to the card, in particular when it comes to considering detriments and exaltations. Also, the tarot draws from astrology when it comes to the elements of fire, air, earth and water and the characteristics that accompany the elements....so tarot and astrology seem to have a natural affinity to me.

The problem is that there are 22 trumps and only 12 signs, so rather than doubling up, the Golden Dawn brought in the seven traditional planets and the three primal elements to round it out to 22. I was just reading Elizabeth Hazel, and she doesn't associate elements with the non-zodiacal trumps at all, and just considers them to be "free-agents." In practice, when I have a planetary trump I also consider the sign ruled by that planet to create an elemental correspondence. And . . . not mix tarot with astrology? Nothing could be farther from the truth. I was an astrologer first and have been since 1970, although now I focus mainly on horary astrology. The system of decans is vital to my use of the Minor Arcana. It's the Major Arcana that don't fair as well in my opinion.

Ruby Jewel

The problem is that there are 22 trumps and only 12 signs, so rather than doubling up, the Golden Dawn brought in the seven traditional planets and the three primal elements to round it out to 22. I was just reading Elizabeth Hazel, and she doesn't associate elements with the non-zodiacal trumps at all, and just considers them to be "free-agents." In practice, when I have a planetary trump I also consider the sign ruled by that planet to create an elemental correspondence. And . . . not mix tarot with astrology? Nothing could be farther from the truth. I was an astrologer first and have been since 1970, although now I focus mainly on horary astrology. The system of decans is vital to my use of the Minor Arcana. It's the Major Arcana that don't fair as well in my opinion.

I, too, was an astrologer before taking up the tarot...so, it is just natural to equate the two under those circumstances. I also apply the decans to the minors. When you said that "astrological correspondences don't add much, if anything," I took that to mean you didn't necessarily mix the two. I'm glad to see that is not the case. Certainly the choice is optional and different applications are quite prevalent, and often personal....one can almost say, arbitrary. I am always interested in your well-researched opinion. Thanks.

Sydkid182

the heirophant. I know its supposed to mean 'conformity' and such but it seems so complex to me. I feel its such a powerful card and it can mean many things.

euripides

. The system of decans is vital to my use of the Minor Arcana. It's the Major Arcana that don't fair as well in my opinion.

This is really interesting. I guess maybe it's a topic for another thread, but I wonder if I should consider paying more attention to astrological symbolism. It seems like it enriches your reading, and it seems very integral to deck design.

Skykid... yeah the Heirophant is an interesting one. Authority, rigidity.... but I think particularly, organizational authority and structure, old established systems and staid values. It always makes me think of old Orthodox priests, and churches full of incense.

headincloud

The ambivilent kings and queens

Barleywine

the heirophant. I know its supposed to mean 'conformity' and such but it seems so complex to me. I feel its such a powerful card and it can mean many things.

I had an interesting case of the Hierophant in one of its less-used interpretations (at least in my experience): as a "marriage" card. I just did my "dysfunctional relationship" spread on my nephew's break-up with his fiancee. In the "central conflict" position I got the Hierophant reversed. I didn't know any details in advance other than the fact itself, but it was obvious from the reading that they didn't see eye-to-eye on the subject, and that it wasn't going anywhere. The rest of the spread showed that she was dissatisfied and bored.

The Hierophant is one that I often struggle to "bring down to earth" in my readings, but it seemed pretty clear here.

lantana

One card still alludes me: Judgement. I think of all the cards, this one has shown up the least for me, and I don't really have a life experience to tie it to. The traditional imagery doesn't help, even though I could always look past the Hierophant's.

I guess I haven't had that moment of "inner calling" yet.

blackmoonbee

Wheel of Fortune
I just can't relate to that card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackmoonbee

The Aces are the "root" of the elemental energy, not yet manifested, the Pages are that energy embodied. The former is a potential or nascent beginning, the latter is an active expression.

Ohh this is helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cfish

Reversed Hermit and reversed Four of cups.
Also Star, I understand its meaning but I am not sure whenever seekers ask if they can get what they want.
Btw, I've had Temperance card for the artist who makes "mixed media" paintings.