The Ones that Got Away: Decks You Regret Parting With

iseekserendipity

It took forever for me to finally get the Light & Shadow Tarot. I gifted it to a friend before I managed to get my own copy. Sadly either it was victim of my leaky roof or something else that basically ruined the cards.

I realize that that's not what's implied by "got away" but it feels as if it got away in its own way ^_^

I'm supposed to be a minimalist, but decks feel a lot like books. They aren't things used and put away, but rich resources to be returned to when you feel the need.

This describes my relationship with my decks (and my compulsive shopping) so well! Also, I find that some decks that I've collected may not often be taken out, but by admiring them and trying to see the layers that the creators tried to put in them, it added depth to my perception of what some cards I previously had trouble with meant for me. All the Magic Realist Press decks I managed to buy really helped me flesh out the courts and make them become more than 2 dimensional faces...

Rose Lalonde

A few years ago I sold my Victorian Romantic Deck!! Although at the time I got decent cash for it and needed the money then, I really wish I still owned it - right now I couldn't afford it as its so rare and highly priced!

A couple of years ago I was given the Victorian Romantic 2nd ed. by member simphex (who's now HuskyChariot, it looks like). I never read with it, so I feel like I should pass their gift along to someone who will. I'm happy to mail it to you if you'd like. I've sent a PM.

iseekserendipity

A few years ago I sold my Victorian Romantic Deck!! Although at the time I got decent cash for it and needed the money then, I really wish I still owned it - right now I couldn't afford it as its so rare and highly priced!

You're making me want to take it out again! I use to read with it pretty exclusively... Thank you Cosy Mimi!

Snowhunter

The Victorian Romantic, and Lana Zellner's 78 tarot deck. I didn't have the actual decks in person but I had cancelled the orders. I was still going through the phase where I wanted to just have a small, carefully curated collection of decks that I'd still be shuffling and cuddling when I'm 152 years old. I wanted to think about it some more. Sold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FLizarraga

So far, I don't really regret letting any deck go --not deeply, anyway.

The only one that has left an ache is the Bohemian Baroque Cats Gold. I knew from the beginning it was a lost cause -- too rich for my blood, in any case -- but it was just so beautiful.

feynrir

I definitely regret passing along my full size Rosetta. I had a deep bond with that deck, but almost felt like I'd learned all there was to know about it. It was as though we were longtime friends and it didn't matter how far we'd be from each other. Felt like true love :) though I probably wasn't quite as ready to part with it as I'd thought.

Equally as much, though, I definitely don't regret giving it a new home; I don't really live with regret! I have so many wonderful decks and even bought a Rosetta in a tin to always accompany me. :)

RiverRunsDeep

So far, I don't really regret letting any deck go --not deeply, anyway.

The only one that has left an ache is the Bohemian Baroque Cats Gold. I knew from the beginning it was a lost cause -- too rich for my blood, in any case -- but it was just so beautiful.

Oh, Fliz. :heart: Yes, the Golden Cats are incredibly lovely, and also much cherished, thoroughly loved, and well taken care of by me. Though, if you ever decide you simply must have them back, you know where to find me. :)

I have a couple of decks I regret getting rid of, mainly for sentimental reasons. My greenie Thoth and Pracownik's Dragon Tarot. I have replaced both decks, but they are only that..."replacements". The greenie Thoth is not the deck that contained all of my magical musings from my early twenties, and the Dragon deck is not the one DS shuffled in his small hands and explored as his first tarot experience. Yes, I am hopelessly sentimental, but I really miss the original copies of "my" decks.

MissChiff

I've had to sell a few decks because of lack of funds...decks that I practically gave away. And it really hurts. I mean I have actual pain. And people can be really cruel about it.

earthair

I didn't part with them, but they definitely got away...someone was selling some absurdly cheap rare decks on ebay, so I added the listings to my watch list and thought I'd bide my time, but the next day the listings had been removed. Had I bid, they wouldn't have been able to delete the listings. Drat. It still haunts me.

FLizarraga

Oh, Fliz. :heart: Yes, the Golden Cats are incredibly lovely, and also much cherished, thoroughly loved, and well taken care of by me. Though, if you ever decide you simply must have them back, you know where to find me. :)

Thank you, my friend, but I'm actually quite happy knowing that they are with you, loved and appreciated. :love: :love: :love:

I've had to sell a few decks because of lack of funds...decks that I practically gave away. And it really hurts. I mean I have actual pain. And people can be really cruel about it.

I'm sorry you had to part with such cherished decks. And people can be cruel, period. Don't listen to them. Ever.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/15/a0/89/15a089398b9c839566337bb12bdb5d1a.jpg