2nd Edition - Circle of Life Tarot

LauraKai

I have the new version, and really like it! I don't think the borders are intrusive and the number tabs do help to figure out which way the image sits. As noted above, the box it comes in looks and feels robust, and the card backs are indeed very pretty :)

strings of life

Aeric, you have enabled me with your review!

I had the first edition, but traded it since I found the circular format frustrating, but I'll give this edition a chance now that I know there's a more substantial "book" (or shall we say expanded booklet ;)). Sure, we love to read intuitively, but sometimes you want to know what the artist meant when they used certain symbolism. The borders are less cluttered in this version as well.

Aeric

I had the first edition, but traded it since I found the circular format frustrating, but I'll give this edition a chance now that I know there's a more substantial "book" (or shall we say expanded booklet ;)). Sure, we love to read intuitively, but sometimes you want to know what the artist meant when they used certain symbolism. The borders are less cluttered in this version as well.
I agree. This is definitely one of the hardest decks to crack intuitively. Even reading some of the new interpretations I had to turn my head and squint a bit at the images to make them sync. Even Shining Angels, the other round Lo Scarabeo deck, adheres more faithfully to RWS than this, despite having all female angels as the subject matter.

I've often wondered if COL was strictly conceived as an art deck and LWB interpretations were clumsily written as an afterthought. Comparing the 2nd's presentation, the 1st feels like a rush job of an unfinished idea, and more deliberation was put into how they could turn COL into a better divinatory deck, on par with Lo Scarabeo's other offerings.

Still, I'm all in favour of round Tarot decks, especially ones that deviate from the majority theme of Goddess or women-centered decks. I love those to death, but it's nice to have a break.

BreathingSince72

Learning through another lens

I want to share my appreciation of your comment. I also love intuitive reading but still enjoy knowing what the artist was thinking when they selected certain symbols. I passed on the first edition several times and ended up buying the second.

Some of the images were, at first, confusing to me...like the pregnant ace of swords. Then I thought swords are east which the artist might be connecting with spring which suddenly made sense. (I haven't checked for confirmation in the book yet but I will say I'm grateful the first 47 pages added in English). Point being, I think this deck kind of challenges what we think we know about tarot and invites us on a deeper journey. I am excited to see where this will go.

Later...just checked the book, doesn't confirm my thought but still interesting...