Barbara Moore Book/Deck

sibbysgirl

Hello, everyone! I'm relatively new but love all the information found here. I have a question and I'm sure you won't let me down. I am interested in buying a tarot deck with a book written by Barbara Moore. I find both the Mystic Dreamer and Steampunk decks most interesting graphically, the Shadowscapes somewhat less, and all others, meh. I could live with any of these three decks and want to purchase the deck which has the "best" companion book. By "best" I am implying something that goes beyond the basics of tarot and sits down for a cup of tea with the reader, taking its time with, perhaps, some of the more personal uses for a deck. What are your feelings on the companion books for these three decks? Thank you in advance for your help!

delinfrey

Steampunk has one of the best companion books out there.

But have you considered the Hidden Realms?

gregory

As does Mystic Dreamer. To be honest, I don't believe you can go wrong with Barbara Moore. (so Hidden Realms is good too !) So the next step would be to consider which appeals to you most artistically. Of those two, I have to say if I were in your place I would run with Steampunk.

Of course, you could even buy her books on their own. Your Tarot, Your Way is very good - aimed at beginners, but everyone will learn from it.

Nemia

And her book about spreads is excellent, too.

athenafletcher

Barbara Moore's Steampunk Tarot (illustrated by the incredible Aly Fell) was actually my first ever tarot deck and thus my journey with tarot began. I came for the art of the deck, stayed for the excellent companion book and never looked back. I think it was absolutely crucial that the first deck I would ever buy would have to blow me away, otherwise I might have been turned off by tarot. Who knows? But all I know for sure is I'm glad the Steampunk Tarot was "my first." It opened up my world to other tarot decks that I have since discovered and enjoyed. The companion book definitely helped the newbie that I was back then learn the basics of tarot while gradually developing a love and appreciation for it.

Get Steampunk. You won't regret it! The art is gorgeous and the companion book is entertaining and informative from start to finish. It is still my favorite deck to do readings. I will always have a special place in my heart for this deck.

delinfrey

I was writing on the go, so couldn't be specific.

When you are trying to find the best combo for studying, from those you listed, the best one definitely, without doubt, is the Steampunk - it is absolutely for beginners and it's a clever RWS clone (but still a clone, so you can use heaps of material freely available online). The book is also fun (which is a quite relevant factor for beginners), and I really love the clever phrases for each card. To be honest, I would even just get the book, even if without the cards. Strongly recommended companion book.

The Shadowscapes book I've only read from the app, as I own the cards-only version. I like it, but it's very focused on the deck. Steampunk is definitely more down-to-earth.

Hidden Realms is just such a wonderful read - it doesn't do much for your studies, since it is very deck-specific, but the TotHR being such a wonderful deck to behold, the book really adds to the stories.

Achlys

The Steampunk Tarot is the best one out of all of them, to me. I found the book extremely helpful, even considered apart from the deck itself. It's a book that teaches you without talking down to you and is honestly a fun read. I enjoyed reading the book.

sibbysgirl

I was away for the weekend and came back to so much good advice -- thank you all! It sounds like Steampunk is the winner. It is good to know the book for Hidden Realms is quality as well. I wish I connected with the cards, but i just don't, at least not right now. I have considered getting Barbara's books alone, but since I'm still a newbie and just own 4 traditional tarot decks (only 2 of which I connect with), I decided, "Why not get a deck with the book as well?" ONE more deck won't hurt, right? Thank you again for your help. I'll keep checking back for more advice!

Green Faerie

Ditto ! Great stuff :thumbsup:

Thirding this! I first got her book on spreads from the library, and was just given a copy for my birthday. It's excellent, with lots of information on how spreads work, lots of different kinds of spreads to try, and then information on how to construct your own. :)