2 Wands vs 2 Swords

elena_jaymz

They are both about choices but with a pointed difference.

Two of Swords is a mental choice about a thing, person or plan.

Two of Wands the mental choice has already been made, this card is about a choice between two actions, two modes of carrying out a plan.

Thanks Mittkait, so, here's the difference :D actions vs thoughts! I agree.

Thirteen

All 2's are decisions

As pointed out by others, all "2" are decision cards--or, if you like, that pause you take before deciding. 2/Pents is where the person doesn't want to decide (pents = things, and he wants to keep both things). 2/Cups is where a person feels an emotional connection to another (and they to them). In this pause, they enjoy that connection, but they will have to decide if they want to take it further.

2/Swords: Swords are communications or mental activity, and so it makes sense that when faced with a decision, the Swords want to sit and think. Which may or may not be a good thing. Think too long and the decision may be taken out of your hands. Also, with Swords, you always have the implication of controversy: this decision is about who is the winner (right) and who is the loser (wrong). That's what I've always read the waters behind the woman as indicating. The stormy emotions behind these two sides; their investment in winning/losing, like a flame war on a chat site.

The woman (chosen moderator ;)) puts on the blindfold. Either to (1) Be deliberately blind to it all and so have excuses to keep from deciding, (2) To make sure she remains unbiased, logical, rational, analytical. Whether her blindfolding herself is cowardly or noble, it works for the moment. She declares there is no winner/looser--it's a draw or there will be a compromise or that hostilities are suspended, and both sides need to go to their corners. But as those stormy waters indicate, it's not going to last.

2/Wands: Wands are about energy. If you split your energy between two things, neither one gets done. Right? You do half of one thing, half of another, and then, exhausted, see that you've finished neither. So, the man in the 2/Wands has to decide which thing to invest his energy in. And, of course, once you know what you're going to put your energy in, you know what to do, and you enter into action. Which is why in the 2/Wands, the person is usually already holding the one he wants and going forward. Note that the two wands look almost identical. This has always implied to me that the decision isn't that dire; you won't end up regretting that you didn't pick the other wand. This is important when comparing it to the Lovers, where the decision can be super important, and you may have regrets depending on your choice.

elena_jaymz

Thank you so much Thirteen.
As pointed out by others, all "2" are decision cards--or, if you like, that pause you take before deciding. 2/Pents is where the person doesn't want to decide (pents = things, and he wants to keep both things). 2/Cups is where a person feels an emotional connection to another (and they to them). In this pause, they enjoy that connection, but they will have to decide if they want to take it further.
I agree, 2s are all about decisions.

2/Swords: Swords are communications or mental activity, and so it makes sense that when faced with a decision, the Swords want to sit and think. Which may or may not be a good thing. Think too long and the decision may be taken out of your hands. Also, with Swords, you always have the implication of controversy: this decision is about who is the winner (right) and who is the loser (wrong). That's what I've always read the waters behind the woman as indicating. The stormy emotions behind these two sides; their investment in winning/losing, like a flame war on a chat site.

The woman (chosen moderator ;)) puts on the blindfold. Either to (1) Be deliberately blind to it all and so have excuses to keep from deciding, (2) To make sure she remains unbiased, logical, rational, analytical. Whether her blindfolding herself is cowardly or noble, it works for the moment. She declares there is no winner/looser--it's a draw or there will be a compromise or that hostilities are suspended, and both sides need to go to their corners. But as those stormy waters indicate, it's not going to last.
It makes sense, it a wrong vs right situation, but the lady says you don't have to think that way (you can't carry those swords forever), so you rather need a compromise for that moment.

2/Wands: Wands are about energy. If you split your energy between two things, neither one gets done. Right? You do half of one thing, half of another, and then, exhausted, see that you've finished neither. So, the man in the 2/Wands has to decide which thing to invest his energy in. And, of course, once you know what you're going to put your energy in, you know what to do, and you enter into action. Which is why in the 2/Wands, the person is usually already holding the one he wants and going forward. Note that the two wands look almost identical. This has always implied to me that the decision isn't that dire; you won't end up regretting that you didn't pick the other wand. This is important when comparing it to the Lovers, where the decision can be super important, and you may have regrets depending on your choice.
I agree, energy and action are implied here and yes, it's not a serious, urgent decision.

Laurelle

Note that the two wands look almost identical. This has always implied to me that the decision isn't that dire; you won't end up regretting that you didn't pick the other wand.

Yes, if you look closely one wand is bolted to the wall and the other is held steady by his hand. I believe that could mean a lot of things depending on the question and the surrounding cards.

elena_jaymz

Yes, if you look closely one wand is bolted to the wall and the other is held steady by his hand. I believe that could mean a lot of things depending on the question and the surrounding cards.

Yes yes, we should always look at the context and the surrounding cards, my question was more general :D