Pronunciation....

gregory

HudsonGray said:
For the same reason Agatha Christie's Poirot had one? LOL Maybe it's a French thing?
ghoti.

catlin

Why don't we just agree on calling it Crowley Tarot?

So we only have to agree if Crowley rimes with "holy" or "fouly" :D

gregory

Oh "Holy Croly" - definitely !!!! :TDEV

SarahRose

I always believed it was "thawth" but when I read it I can't help but hear "thoeth" in my head, lol. I guess the latter is correct? I just don't want to utter it aloud and sound stupid, lol.

My best friend has a Thoth as well, and doesn't know how to pronounce it. The girl at the New Age Shop (who was very well-versed in Tarot) wasn't sure either!

Ross G Caldwell

SarahRose said:
I always believed it was "thawth" but when I read it I can't help but hear "thoeth" in my head, lol. I guess the latter is correct? I just don't want to utter it aloud and sound stupid, lol.

I would say that, in contemporary English, both are correct.

"Thoeth" (rhymes with "both") is closer to how Europeans and Egyptologists say the name ("tote" is how they say it; both "t"s are just a little aspirated, "t'hot'h"). This has to be how members of the Golden Dawn, like Crowley, said it.

"Thawth" is how most owners of the Thoth deck in North America (I don't know the English or Australian pronunciation) say it. It is a natural way to pronounce this series of letters in English. And it is current enough that it should be regarded as an accepted usage.

So, if you want to sound different from the average, and maybe cause a few quizzical looks in your direction, say the "educated" pronunciation. Also, if you are a stickler for historical accuracy, use this pronunciation. And, it seems that you had it right with "thoeth" more-or-less already - so go with your instinct.

My best friend has a Thoth as well, and doesn't know how to pronounce it. The girl at the New Age Shop (who was very well-versed in Tarot) wasn't sure either!

Netzach noted this page -
http://www.bartleby.com/61/6/T0180600.html

gregory

I remain committed to Thoth as in Goth. :)

Lillie

Yes.

When I make the effort of pronouncing this proper, it is always Thoth like goth.

It's how it's spelt.

So why not.

I read the Thoth Tarot.

Which rhymes with Goth carrot.

Cool!

SarahRose

Not sure if you were kidding, but carrot doesn't rhyme with tarot, lol.

Lillie

It does where I come from.

And no. Not joking.
I have had this conversation before.

Carrot, tarot.
Both got a T at the end.