my new thoth

Emelya

i have been wanting this deck for some time and finally bought it yesterday.

i did a quick past-present-future reading for myself before bed. i was not careful with my wording and for future just asked what does my future hold. i got the death card. i asked for clairification and got the completion card. so i hummed and hawed... something is definately coming to an end ...but what? i don't feel like i am at the end of a stage so i was a little puzzled. then i remembered oracles and tarot love to play with you if you are not careful with your wording. of course there will be endings and completion sometime in my future... i was not the least bit specific with my question. i feel like my deck said to me "you're gonna die someday, duh, everything ends. we're all gonna die". i'm glad my thoth deck has a sense of humour. i think we will get along just fine. :)

.traveller.

"i feel like my deck said to me "you're gonna die someday, duh, everything ends. we're all gonna die". i'm glad my thoth deck has a sense of humour. i think we will get along just fine. "

This made me laugh because I just pulled my old Thoth deck out of the closet last night. I decided to just read single cards because of the amount of info these cards give you.

I had forgotten how blunt they are. It was really quite refreshing. :laugh:

gorgeousbutterfly

the death card for future. it could mean the change and transition will occur in the future on a subconsious level. some things change and we are not really aware of. also its the future so you don't know w hen excatly that will be? so who knows.

Edge

Emelya said:
i have been wanting this deck for some time and finally bought it yesterday.

i did a quick past-present-future reading for myself before bed. i was not careful with my wording and for future just asked what does my future hold. i got the death card. i asked for clairification and got the completion card. so i hummed and hawed... something is definately coming to an end ...but what? i don't feel like i am at the end of a stage so i was a little puzzled. then i remembered oracles and tarot love to play with you if you are not careful with your wording. of course there will be endings and completion sometime in my future... i was not the least bit specific with my question. i feel like my deck said to me "you're gonna die someday, duh, everything ends. we're all gonna die". i'm glad my thoth deck has a sense of humour. i think we will get along just fine. :)

Congratulations on your new deck. You said you had been wanting it for a while and now that desire or need has ended, perhaps drawing this card is reflecting new transformations as you begin working with your new deck. I love the Atu XIII, very cool card like all in the Thoth. :)

Emily

Hi Emelya,

Getting Death is a good positive sign because when you start to use and learn the Thoth, you'll be moving away from RWS imagery. The Thoth really is a deck that stands apart from others so really you will be starting afresh with it. :)

minimonster777

When I got my Thoth deck, the first few readings were very blunt. Death, 5/Cups, 9/Swords, Tower...all those fun cards. I was initially disappointed, and thought about investing in a happier, fluffier deck, but I decided that I had wanted the deck for too long and I wasn't going to let it intimidate me!

I think that the deck was just testing me though, because after only a few readings I started to connect with the cards, and now my spreads are positive (though not unrealistically so!) and eerily accurate, even when I'm doing spreads online for people I've never met in real life, or for friends-of-friends-of-friends at parties! I carry it everywhere too, which doesn't hurt :)

So maybe your deck is seeing if you're "hardcore" enough for it!

ravenest

Emily said:
Hi Emelya,

Getting Death is a good positive sign because when you start to use and learn the Thoth, you'll be moving away from RWS imagery. The Thoth really is a deck that stands apart from others so really you will be starting afresh with it. :)

Good point! Check out the difference between RW Devil and Thoth Devil as well.

Emelya

it's true that i've found my readings with it so far both very blunt but also that there is always some thing a little puzzeling. i am sure the deck is testing me and although i freely admit i am not yet worthy i am up to the challenge. i am brushing up on my kaballah and astrology symbology and ordering 777, the book of thoth, and duquettes thoth for dummies, um i mean understanding ac thoth tarot.

on top of that i am setting about learning this whole system of dignified, ill-dignified. sheesh. this is going to be a lot of work. i am relatively new to tarot (within the last year) and i feel like maybe i should have gotten to know the regular (rider-waite) tarot more before undertaking thoth but i have been so drawn to it. i am feeling somewhat overwhelmed at the moment but it really was calling me so i guess nothing to do but start studying.

Edge

Emelya said:
ordering 777, the book of thoth, and duquettes thoth for dummies, um i mean understanding ac thoth tarot.

Those are excellent books, they we're recommended to me and am glad I got them. Have learned a great deal already. I know the Book of Thoth will continue to be an often reffered to text for years to come.

Emelya said:
maybe i should have gotten to know the regular (rider-waite) tarot more before undertaking thoth but i have been so drawn to it.

You said you are more drawn to Thoth so why bother with the RW? If you have no passion for it how connected to it do you think you'll become, I would guess not very. Good luck to you in your studies. :)

Emily

Hi Emelya,

Do a few readings with the Thoth first and see what you get out of them intuitively because once you hit the books, it could turn into some kind of chore.

I like Duquettes book. Its good for trying to get a grip on the Book of Thoth which can be a hard read because of Crowley's language use. But try not to overload yourself with too much info all in one go. :)