my new thoth

Ventrue

yeah, it really does lead you on a wild goose chase at times...you read Duquettes book, and then your like, well, I need to go on ahead and get into BoT. Then your like, well, I dont know enough about x(Qabalah, Eastern Mysticism, astrology, egyptian iconology, High Magick, greek mythology, etc etc etc). Or thats how it is/was with me, although i'm enjoying the trek.

Ven

Crowqueen

Emily said:
Hi Emelya,

Do a few readings with the Thoth first and see what you get out of them intuitively because once you hit the books, it could turn into some kind of chore.

The cards are so bursting with imagery that it is hard to move on to an analytical method of reading them. I have only done one reading - for someone else - with my new Thoth, and I didn't find it as hard as I expected, though I did find a book in a charity shop which explained the reasoning behind the Princess as opposed to the Page, which helped enormously to overcome one of my barriers to understanding Crowley (and indeed Kris Waldherr uses Prince and Princess instead of Page and Knight).

Cosmotaroist

Just got the DuQuette and the BofT yesterday....read the former for about 100 pages so far....all the little things...I really wished there was more information on the the spread....he basically just quoted the BofThoth spread...I appreciate the colour explanation the Ross Cross and the Quabalah...but i really wish this is more to the spreads themselves...but I will finish reading the DuQuette book first....this is just what i think of it so far...its been interesting

Emelya

So I finally got my DuQuettes and Book of Thoth. I have been avoiding my Thoth deck before I got these because I was feeling overwhelmed by all the knowledge I don't have that I feel I need to make sense of this complicated and beautiful deck. At the occult store I hesitated a long time over the two books. Even though I had come to buy them I was hesitant thinking... "Do I really want to get myself in to this? It is going to be sooo much work! Perhaps I should just trade it and concentrate on becoming a better intuitive reader of the other decks I have". But I did buy them and I'm glad I did. I started with DuQuettes and am finding it very readable. I skipped ahead for a moment to the section where the individual cards are explained. I flipped open to the page on the Princess of Swords and read about her. I was struck by how much she reminded me of aspects of myself that I know I need to learn to let go. Then later I finally opened up my Thoth Tarot again. I said "I will choose one card that I need to learn about" and cut the deck. Well there was that Princess of Swords again! This is indeed a magical deck and although my journey of learning it has just begun I am very, very glad I did not give up before I got going.

SarahRose

LOL, mine has a sense of humor too.

Good luck with your future. :) ;) :D

Edge

Emelya said:
Do I really want to get myself in to this? It is going to be sooo much work! Perhaps I should just trade it and concentrate on becoming a better intuitive reader of the other decks I have

This deck will tremendously sharpen your intuitive ability. Just stick with it. Sounds like your on the right track. Best of luck and do please keep us (fellow Thoth fans) posted.