10 years of Thoth Boycott and now ...

TheOld

yeah i don't know exactly why but after 10 years i finally came to like it ;-)

maybe it's the acceptance of my dark self that gave me the capacities to like this deck (i was finding thoth too much dark)!!!

Anyway now i like it verry much, i find it verry deep (did you know that there is 1200 symboles paint in the entire deck ?) and use it most of the times ;-)

so what's your storry with the Tarot of Thoth ?

Omeada

Cosmotaroist

Hello...

Im in the processing of "getting used to" the Thoth..and still trying...

I found the Rider Waite verision "easier" to work with...but the thoth's symolisms would, I think, gives me more information to work with in a reading.

I think Thoth, I'm not saying that it is dark, but it is darker than RW deck for me...overall... for example....i prefer the Aeon over the RW Judgement card....and I prefer the thoth devil over the RW's...but thats just me...

Im still learning the Thoth a bit day by day......thats my story

Tarotphelia

I liked it right off. I don't pay attention to Crowley and his ideas , I just see it as the work of Lady Harris. I didn't think it was any darker than any of the other common tarots.

MikeTheAltarboy

At first I was kinda afraid of it - and Crowley. ;-) It seemed dark to me too. I don't remember when I changed, but I did, and now it's my favorite. I don't see it as dark anymore, and I actually like Uncle Al quite a bit! :-D I just got my 2nd thoth - I had the large one, and now I got a tiny one.

Edge

Thoth is the only deck I use. This deck surpasses simple tarot card meanings and spreads, it has introduced me to Thelema and has challenged me to undertake the Great Work. Have never considered it "dark" or to advanced. However it's wisdom may only be understood by the adept. :)

Sophie

I've never found it dark - just very powerful. It can be dark if you are exploring the dark, and light if you are exploring the light. In that way, it is a truly universal and flexible deck. It's also very beautiful, complex and subtle. Like Aleister Crowley, in fact ;)

To me, it is the result of one of those dream collaborations. I see DarkInquisitor sees it only as Lady Harris's work. That is much more than Lady Harris herself thought. The Thoth tarot is the child of those two great people - a child of their minds, hearts and wisdom, and of their combined energies. That's why it is so beautifully balanced.

I am far from knowing it well, though I had my first Thoth years ago. I stopped working with it for a while, frightened off by Crowley, until I came to read more of his work, and understand where he was coming from, and what he was striving to achieve. When I came back to the Thoth, it was after I had spent many years in close contact with some real darkness - the darkness of war, torture, death and immeasurable loss, the darkness of hunger, rape and cruelty. Having worked to bring about peace, respect and understanding in these surroundings, I have come to appreciate the Thoth as a deck of light - light in a world that can sometimes be so dark. A deck of hope.

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the Law, love under will.

Those two sentences course through that deck - words of love and responsibility. And also this one: Every man and woman is a star. I turn to the Thoth star card, one of the most beautiful cards ever painted, and I can see my own starryness, and that of my fellows.

It's a magical deck, in every sense of the word.

Ross G Caldwell

Helvetica said:
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.
Love is the Law, love under will.

Those two sentences course through that deck - words of love and responsibility. And also this one: Every man and woman is a star. I turn to the Thoth star card, one of the most beautiful cards ever painted, and I can see my own starryness, and that of my fellows.

Dear Sophie,

your words brought tears to my eyes, words of recognition. I HOPE (the meaning of the Star) that everyone can see this, how simple, true, and beautiful it is.

Emerald

I too was frightened by the Thoth Deck because of Crowley's dark side. I first began reading meanings for the cards on a web site. They seemed so simple yet deep I decided to get the deck. At first glance I thought the cards were dark and I have to say frightening. Now I think they are the most beautiful cards I have. Use them every day for my daily card. I find they give great insight.

My favourite is the Queen of Disks. I would love a poster of this card to frame.

Sophie

Thanks Ross :)

People think the Thoth is dark because it does not shy away from showing cruelty and violence - the dark sides of life. But it really is light: because it shows love and beauty triumphant, despite the darkness. It shows that cruelty and violence are shadows we live with, but need not choose to accept or concentrate on.

Life is irresistible in the Thoth. Look at the Devil and Death, and place them next to any other modern deck's Devil or Death. In the Thoth, these cards affirm and celebrate life - with a dance and a head-butt! - and let us know that even in pure matter or in death, life abounds and will overcome degradation.

TheOld

Theses last word describe so well the thoth!!!
Thanks Helvetica

btw i forgot to tell that it is my 3th thoth i Buy, the first and the second one i'v sell back the next month i got them, i'm sure i will not sell this one :)

In fact i'm planning to buy a large one so i'll trimm it and it will become a full size standard one!!!

Have Fun
Omeada