Aeclectic Tarot
Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum

Procession of Riders

  > Aeclectic Tarot Forum > Tarot Special Interest > Rider-Waite-Smith


 
BrightEye's Avatar
BrightEye  BrightEye is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Oct 2005
Location: Venus
Posts: 27,643
BrightEye 

I'd see the cards as saying that all victory and worldly gain are transient in the face of death.
Top   #21
moderndayruth's Avatar
moderndayruth  moderndayruth is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 14 Nov 2006
Location: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Posts: 7,201
moderndayruth 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightEye
I'd see the cards as saying that all victory and worldly gain are transient in the face of death.
That's a great insight! Thank you for sharing it BE!
Top   #22
lucifall  lucifall is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Jan 2006
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 163
lucifall 
Are the seven Riders symbolising the Procession of the Sun?


I hope this is not too far off topic.
But reading this thread my thought was There are 7 Riders in The Rider Tarot Pack.
Are those together also make a connection to a procession?

The Doors “Love her madly”:
“Seven horses seems to be on the mark”

There are seven riders in tarot.
We find them on 2 Trump cards; 4 Court Cards and on one minor.
Respectively Death (XIII), The Sun (XIX), The four Knights and 6 of Wands.

In Hinduism Surya is a Sun God. Surya rides across the heavens in a chariot drawn by seven horses. The seven Horses symbolize cosmic rays and the colors of the Rainbow and also the seven days of the week.

Now look to the Cards: They are all connected with the Sun in my opinion:

Death is connected with The astrological Scorpio, a fixed Star sign.
XIII is connected with The Hebrew Letter Nun, which means Fish.
Nun is The Path between 6. Tipharet (Sun) and 7. Netzach (Venus)

The Sun is connected with our central Sun. The Sun rules Leo and The element Fire and is exalted in Aries. The Sun is also connected with the 6th Sefira. Only This naked Child-Knight, The Sun, has no reigns! (He does not need these as He is the Center)

Knights are riding on horses. Horses are symbols of the Sun. All Knight are connected with the 6th Sefira Tipharet, The Sun.
Astrological attributions of the Knights are Connection between the Fixed signs and Mutable signs. Reflect this on the Knight of Death. Connected with a Fixed sign Scorpio and meaning Fish in Hebrew, but what also corresponds with the mutable Fish.
Knight of Wands : 20° Scorpio to 20° Sagittarius
Knight of Cups: 20° Aquarius to 20° Pisces
Knight of Swords: 20° Taurus to 20° Gemini
Knight of Pentacles: 20° Leo to 20° Virgo

The minor: 6 of Wands ( rides on a partly covered horse). The sixes from the Minor Arcana are connected with Tipharet, The Sun. Astrological attributions of 6 of wands: Jupiter (Wheel) in Leo (Ruled by the Sun).
A Fixed star sign with the "mutable" wheel

Direction of the seven Riders:
Knight of Cups and Pentacles; Death, Six of Wands: East
Sun: Coming out of the Center marked by the central Sun: South East
Knight Of Swords and Wands: West

All Knights are connected with the 6th Sefira, Tipharet (= beauty), The Sun.
The thirteenth Card Rider of Death makes a connection with Netzach (= triumph) , the Seventh Sefira, which corresponds with Venus. Venus changes from the "Evening star", visible after sunset, to the "Morning star", visible before sunrise.


Are the 7 riders symbolising the procession of the SUN?

Lucifall
Top   #23
moderndayruth's Avatar
moderndayruth  moderndayruth is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 14 Nov 2006
Location: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Posts: 7,201
moderndayruth 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifall

Are the 7 riders symbolising the procession of the SUN?

Lucifall
I don't know, but i am impressed by your analyzes!
Top   #24
Teheuti's Avatar
Teheuti  Teheuti is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 24 Aug 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,539
Teheuti 

In the first version I could see a Memento Mori but even more I see a story where Death has come and cleared the way, destroying everything in his path, like a harvest, after which the fields lie barren. The Knight comes along. He's like Pluto/Hades on his black horse and the fields around him are bare. But, he carries a seed, so I can see him planting that seed or giving the first impetus (in the dark) to what is to come later. The 6 of Wands is like a new force that is able to move easily (successfully) into or through the area that had been cleared, perhaps not even realizing that the way had been prepared or blessed after its destruction by the Knight of Pentacles.

In Procession II in which the 6 of Wands goes first, it's like heading into something optimistically but this brings devastation (Death) in its wake - perhaps a good intention that ends something. Afterward, either the Knight is left "holding the bag," or the Knight represents a new person or force who considers what can be built or done in the aftermath.

Alternatively, in Procession II, the Knight could be envisioning what needs to "go" in order to be successful. [I like this one!]
Top   #25
moderndayruth's Avatar
moderndayruth  moderndayruth is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 14 Nov 2006
Location: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Posts: 7,201
moderndayruth 

Teheuti, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts, its a real honor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teheuti
In the first version I could see a Memento Mori but even more I see a story where Death has come and cleared the way, destroying everything in his path, like a harvest, after which the fields lie barren. The Knight comes along. He's like Pluto/Hades on his black horse and the fields around him are bare. But, he carries a seed, so I can see him planting that seed or giving the first impetus (in the dark) to what is to come later. The 6 of Wands is like a new force that is able to move easily (successfully) into or through the area that had been cleared, perhaps not even realizing that the way had been prepared or blessed after its destruction by the Knight of Pentacles.
Such a powerful description! Genius!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teheuti
In Procession II in which the 6 of Wands goes first, it's like heading into something optimistically but this brings devastation (Death) in its wake - perhaps a good intention that ends something. Afterward, either the Knight is left "holding the bag," or the Knight represents a new person or force who considers what can be built or done in the aftermath.

Alternatively, in Procession II, the Knight could be envisioning what needs to "go" in order to be successful. [I like this one!]
Respect! Just wow!

Once again, thank you so much!
Top   #26
Teheuti's Avatar
Teheuti  Teheuti is offline
Resident
 
Join Date: 24 Aug 2003
Location: Northern California
Posts: 5,539
Teheuti 

These cards would be interesting to integrate in a 3-card drawing. By this, I mean doing a drawing in crayons in which the three cards are integrated into one image. (Okay to use stick-figures.) They could be three figures in one scene (substitute the Knight & 6W for the figures lying under Death, for instance) or one figure and background that contains pieces of all three. It's usually best not to pre-think the drawing but do it spontaneously starting with anything that strikes you.

This is the best way I know to learn to integrate three cards.
Top   #27
moderndayruth's Avatar
moderndayruth  moderndayruth is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 14 Nov 2006
Location: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Posts: 7,201
moderndayruth 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teheuti
These cards would be interesting to integrate in a 3-card drawing. By this, I mean doing a drawing in crayons in which the three cards are integrated into one image. (Okay to use stick-figures.) They could be three figures in one scene (substitute the Knight & 6W for the figures lying under Death, for instance) or one figure and background that contains pieces of all three. It's usually best not to pre-think the drawing but do it spontaneously starting with anything that strikes you.

This is the best way I know to learn to integrate three cards.
I think that's an amazing exercise! I used to draw cards to understand them better, some of the drawings at the end seemed quite minimalistic and some would turn out rather expressionist, but i hadn't though of substituting the figures or putting together pieces of various cards! That's so interesting!
Will do that, i wonder what does the exercise change in my perception of the procession!
Thank you so much for this!
Top   #28
lucifall  lucifall is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 21 Jan 2006
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 163
lucifall 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teheuti
These cards would be interesting to integrate in a 3-card drawing. By this, I mean doing a drawing in crayons in which the three cards are integrated into one image. (Okay to use stick-figures.) They could be three figures in one scene (substitute the Knight & 6W for the figures lying under Death, for instance) or one figure and background that contains pieces of all three. It's usually best not to pre-think the drawing but do it spontaneously starting with anything that strikes you.

This is the best way I know to learn to integrate three cards.
Thanks for the inspiring thought Teheuti!
I make glass paintings inspired on tarotcards, but never combined them!
This is an idea for new work………
In the creative mood you brought me in, I have made some compilations of the 3 in procession, with the fine drawings of Pamela.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4...fa887d89ee.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2...37e4f749cc.jpg

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9...7c3214bf20.jpg

Light Luci
Top   #29
moderndayruth's Avatar
moderndayruth  moderndayruth is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: 14 Nov 2006
Location: Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Posts: 7,201
moderndayruth 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifall
Thanks for the inspiring thought Teheuti!
I make glass paintings inspired on tarotcards, but never combined them!
This is an idea for new work………
In the creative mood you brought me in, I have made some compilations of the 3 in procession, with the fine drawings of Pamela.

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/4...fa887d89ee.jpg

http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/2...37e4f749cc.jpg

http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/9...7c3214bf20.jpg

Light Luci
Now these are great, Luci!
The 'switch' you (no pun intended lol) executed - and the head on the top of the wand reminded me of some of "war habits" that my people, Montenegrin, practiced during centuries long fight for freedom against Otomans...
More precisely i recalled battle of Grahovac, you can read more about it in wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Grahovac


ETA: yours gives totally new dimension to what i thought initially; remember, my first thought was the riders were spreading some new religion?
Arranged your way, they get a diametrically opposite meaning to me - they are fighting against being enslaved and against a new religion that's being forced on them!
(My association derives from the fact that one of the main points in Montenegrins battling Ottomans, apart from the country's sovereignty, was the resistance of Montenegrins to be converted to Islam - majority historically prefered death to conversion.)
Top   #30




 


 


Tarot Cards & Reviews Free Tarot Readings Tarot Books Tarot Card Meanings Tarot Forum
Aeclectic Tarot Forum Links
· Tarot
· Tarot Special Interest
· Beyond Tarot
· Forum Library

Aeclectic Tarot Categories
· Angel Decks
· Dark & Gothic Decks
· Goddess Decks
· Fairy Decks
· Doreen Virtue Decks
· Beginner Decks
· Cat Decks
· Pagan & Wiccan Decks
· Ancient Egyptian Decks
· Celtic Decks
· Lenormand Decks
· Rider-Waite Decks
· Marseilles Decks
· Thoth Decks
· Oracle Decks
· List All Decks
· Popular Tarot Decks
· Available Decks
· Tarot Books
· What's New

Copyright © 1996 - 2019 Aeclectic Tarot. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Contact us.