Stolen Child Tarot... all 78 cards

cSpaceDiva

I wanted to use a majors only deck today, so I pulled out my Stolen Child cards. I didn't have the field guide, so I went online looking for it. Along the way, I came across Monica Knighton's patreon page and was delighted to find that she is still working working on completing the 78 card deck (and has been for at least a year!).

I spent the morning looking through the minors she has completed so far and they are every bit as beautiful as the majors. She is using non-traditional suits of Flames, Brine, Zephyrs and Oaks. I think the Nine of Brine is my favorite so far.

Her plan now is that once she has all of the art completed she will launch a new Kickstarter to cover the cost of printing (rather than covering her living expenses like the previous campaign). Of course it is taking longer to complete since she has to work to earn a living in the meantime. Those who do want to support her in completing the artwork can do so on patreon (there is a link from her blog in the post above). This does not guarantee that the deck will end up being printed, that will depend on the success of the eventual Kickstarter campaign.

I was excited to see the progress Monica has made on this deck and I have high hopes for a complete 78 card deck in the future!

cSpaceDiva

The majors only deck was funded and published, but the campaign to complete the 78 card deck in 2013 did not meet the funding goal. It had a high funding goal because the funds were not only to print the actual decks, but to pay living expenses so she could devote her time to creating this deck. The understanding at the time was that without funding Monica would not be able to continue working on the art for the remaining cards. Instead she would need to focus on commissions and other work to pay her bills.

Unlike Kickstarter, Patreon support does not need to meet a certain goal by a deadline, it works more like a subscription. It does not guarantee that a deck will ever be published but does provide some rewards and access to work in progress. She is using Patreon to get support for creating the art. After she has completed the art for all of the cards, she plans to launch a new Kickstarter with a smaller funding goal to cover the cost of printing & publishing the decks. If that (future) Kickstarter fails, then the 78 card deck will not be published.

Edited to add:
The Patreon campaign launched at the end of 2014 with about 50 cards to complete. I estimate that she has roughly 30 more to go at this point.

RavenOfSummer

Has anyone heard the latest on this 78-card deck?

gregory

The patreon campaign is still running. But you can't see all the updates unless you chip in - and I'm sorry, but Patreon is one I don't do.

There seem to be new cards from "Jan 31st" and "Feb 16th" - but it doesn't say which year.

RavenOfSummer

The patreon campaign is still running. But you can't see all the updates unless you chip in - and I'm sorry, but Patreon is one I don't do.

There seem to be new cards from "Jan 31st" and "Feb 16th" - but it doesn't say which year.

Thank you gregory! Darn, I wish there were some public updates. I'm not sure about Patreon as I've never done it, but it might be helpful to decide about such things if there was a better sense of where things are.

gregory

I just won't donate to something like that every month for an indefinite period, is all. I used to back her on kickstarter, but...