The Hermit and Death

Genny

Probably the pair that i understand the most..

Getting the Hermit for the 2nd time, the first was when i tried studying four cards, improved my journal with these notes:

- On top of a mountain (Superiority)
- Looking down, lighting the way (Guide)
- Lamp's fire (is it a star?)

Mainly, i see the Hermit as a person in the prime of his life (achievement-wise) and is now passing the torch to someone.

And now, Death. Finally got this card for initial study. Well, it's not really the first time i studied it because i have already read alot of references about it..But it is the first time i'm studying it by observing it. (So far, it doesn't scare me anymore XD)

- Skeleton-in-armor (Probably the Grim Reaper w/o his Scythe..and Why is it in armor?) parading along the road with dead people behind it's tracks.
- There's a priest and a few people who are on their knees seems to look like their begging to Death.
- I have to wonder if the background is a river and a waterfall..and from the distant there are two towers and the sun rising. (A gateway to renewal)

Having these ideas posted..The remind me of people who are about to die and the thought of asking God for forgiveness and asking for another chance to escape their life-threatning situation.

Having both of them drawn (picked) together..First thing that comes to mind is the late passing of my grandfather. Although my notes don't relate to it but it does make me think of what our grandfather has done to our family and now it's time for him to go.

job

The hermit

I see the hermit as described in a passage by Diogenes (Greek philosopher).

from wikipedia

"Contrary to the other citizens of Athens, he avoided earthly pleasures. This attitude was grounded in a great disdain for what Diogenes perceived as the folly, pretence, vanity, social climbing, self-deception, and artificiality of much human conduct. He used to stroll through the Agora with a torch at full daylight. When asked about it, he would answer "I am just looking for an honest man". Legend sometimes has him holding a lantern, rather than a torch."