Common Sense Lenormand - Keywords

Lee

"Common Sense Lenormand" is a system for reading the cards which I created because I felt the need for a system which was logical, understandable, and easily explained, without the necessity for the reader to guess at how cards in a line should be combined.

There are four threads in the series:

Level I - the basic 5-card spread
Level II - one way of expanding the spread to go deeper
Level III - another way of expanding the spread to go deeper
Keywords (this thread) - you can certainly use your own meanings but these are the keywords I developed for this method.

I've gathered these meanings from various sources based on what makes sense to me.

The keywords are comprised of an introductory word or phrase which is intended to give an overview and set the tone for the card, followed by two additional keywords which give further specifics. When I chose the additional keywords, I omitted concepts which I felt were already covered by the overview phrase.

1 Rider
Incoming. News. Person/thing arriving.

2 Clover
Lucky day. Opportunity. Unexpected benefit.

3 Ship
When my ship comes in. Travel. Commerce.

4 House
Home sweet home. Family. Property.

5 Tree
Health status. Growth. Branching.

6 Clouds
Gray area. Confusion. Complication.

7 Snake
Snake in the grass. Immediate threat. Jealousy.

8 Coffin
Time's up. Depression. Financial loss.

9 Bouquet
From me to you. Beauty. Reward.

10 Scythe
Snip. Decision. Accident.

11 Whip
Drama. Conflict. Repetition.

12 Birds
Chatter. Nervous energy. Worries.

13 Child
Childish/childlike. Beginning. Immature.

14 Fox
Survival instinct. Deception. Job.

15 Bear
Heavy duty. Authority. Resources (food/money).

16 Stars
Plan. Guidance. Clarity.

17 Stork
Moving up. Promotion. Relocation.

18 Dog
Friend. Loyalty. Support.

19 Tower
Corporate matters. Large building. Ambition.

20 Park
Networking. Gathering. Public.

21 Mountain
Roadblock. Challenge. Delay.

22 Roads
Alternate futures. Decision. Several.

23 Mice
Mice in the attic. Non-immediate threat. Stress.

24 Heart
Love. Affection. Compassion.

25 Ring
Marriage. Contract. Promise.

26 Book
Information. Secret. Education.

27 Letter
Text. Correspondence. Document.

30 Lily
Peace. Longevity. Wisdom.

31 Sun
A sunny day. Energy. Confidence.

32 Moon
Reflected glory. Awards. Prestige.

33 Key
Answer. Certainty. Taking action.

34 Fish
Liquid assets. Abundance. Independence/self-employment.

35 Anchor
Deep attachment. Security. Career.

36 Cross
Dukkha. Sacrifice. Guilt.

Notes:

The Snake and the Mice are different kinds of problems. Snake represents big, immediate, obvious problems. Mice represents small, niggling, hidden problems. Note that the problem represented by the Snake might be alarming, but the Mice problem might ultimately be more damaging due to its insidious nature.

There are three "work" cards to represent different aspects of work. Fox represents a job, something that pays the bills. Anchor would represent more of a career, and Moon would be a public role.

Bear represents resources of food or money because bears store resources for hibernation.

The phrase for Cross, "Dukkha," is a Buddhist term which can be variously translated as "suffering," "anxiety," "frustration," etc. It's a more useful term than "suffering" because it encompasses a fuller variety of experience.

I've attached a PDF document with the keywords in a table, for those who might want to download it and print it out. The first column contains the cards' numbers and names. The second column has the key words and phrases which provide an overview and establish a tone. The last two columns are additional keywords.

Attachments

• Common Sense Lenormand Keywords.pdf
    26.7 KB · Views: 597

daphne

Thank you, Lee, for taking time to write this for us! And for the PDF!!

I find it interesting, I will try your meanings with your spread.

Lee

Thank you, Lee, for taking time to write this for us! And for the PDF!!

I find it interesting, I will try your meanings with your spread.
You're very welcome daphne, let me know how it goes!

Island Dreamer

Thanks from me too, Lee :thumbsup:

I believe that simplicity is the key when starting out and this is very helpful.

I've printed out the pdf - thank you.

Amanaki

Would it not be better for those who are new to Lenormand to learn the Most common system as it has been for more then 100 years before they mix in this new system?

I would think that a system that has been used for around 100 years have found and fixed problems with it and now the Lenormand system is as good as it can be?
And there are already more then one style. Licke french, Belgium and germand system of Lenormand.
In my opinion new people should first learn those system, but again that is only my view of it.

Amanaki

Lee

Thanks from me too, Lee :thumbsup:

I believe that simplicity is the key when starting out and this is very helpful.

I've printed out the pdf - thank you.
You're very welcome!

Barleywine

Thanks, Lee. I will stick this in my notebook along with the wealth of "traditional" keyword lore I've already gathered. And, for what it's worth, I certainly don't see what you've done as in any way "foreign" to the tradition, it's simply a creative take on ways to give some of the arguably thinner or drier "standard" meanings more anecdotal immediacy (for example, the Birds have always made me think of "chatter," too.) I like that you haven't just piled on more meanings of a personal nature, but instead have slightly re-envisioned how existing keywords might come across in a reading. As a reluctant modernizer, I view any attempt at innovation with a skeptical eye, but by-and-large this seems to make the cut.

Lee

Thank you Barleywine, I really appreciate your kind words! I agree entirely; I feel that there is room in a traditional approach for some innovation.

manandcards

Thanks for this Lee, I've got a little overwhelmed over the last two weeks since learning that Lenormand was in the world. I'm hoping this will help me to break it back down again.

TarotDreamer

Love your keywords

Hi, Lee,

Just wanted to say that I love the keywords you've chosen for the cards! They're awesome! And thank you for creating a pdf for the rest of us!