Tabula Mundi

Spiffo

Listened to the podcast for The Fool today, and you're right, it's great.

(As a bonus, I couldn't help but notice a quick reference 30 minutes in to the fact that MM has begun work on a third deck!)

Really glad you enjoyed it.

And knowing that MMM is already working on something new is kinda thrilling yeah.

Babalon Jones

Yes, a new Fool's Journey has begun. I have the name and the concept and the enthusiasm. It may be a loonnngg time though before it is done as I'm only a few cards in as far as what is painted. This one is painted on board with acrylics, and I'm not fast. It takes me a lot of thought to scry the image and a lot of time to paint it. I hope to get some wings soon with it but we will see; there is a lot going on to deal with in life right now. Will share some pictures in the creation thread, eventually!

Also maybe of interest to some, I had to get more books printed so I not only got much better laminated covers (I was never 100% please with the old covers as they showed wear too easy) but also the books going out now have 6 pages of color inserts showing many of the cards in full color on glossy stock. You can see a few pics here on the tm blog and there is a special on the new books too, and if you just want a bargain the few copies of the old ones without the insert will be deeply discounted until they are gone.

tarotesoterica

I bought the book and the deck set without the extra cards. I love it. I just did a review on it and I don't have a negative thing to say about it. I'm really into the Qabalah so it spoke my language, but I see how some people could be turned off. It isn't for everyone.

Peachess

Hi there!

As suggested by some of the members in this thread, I got the Fool's Dog application for android and scrolled through the cards. I also read the entire book M, which was included! I thought it was fantastic, layered and new. This could definiteley be a game changer for my journey in Tarot.

I have one question, though: sine the extra cards aren't mentioned in the app, how do they look and how am I supposed to use them? Since my astrological knowledge is rather limited, I would have greatly appreciated some guidance on that subject. I am now torn between getting the deck with or without the extra cards. Also, is the alternative Ludt card featuring Babalon one of the extra cards? Thanks!

baconwaffles

Hi there!

As suggested by some of the members in this thread, I got the Fool's Dog application for android and scrolled through the cards. I also read the entire book M, which was included! I thought it was fantastic, layered and new. This could definiteley be a game changer for my journey in Tarot.

I have one question, though: sine the extra cards aren't mentioned in the app, how do they look and how am I supposed to use them? Since my astrological knowledge is rather limited, I would have greatly appreciated some guidance on that subject. I am now torn between getting the deck with or without the extra cards. Also, is the alternative Ludt card featuring Babalon one of the extra cards? Thanks!
I would go for the whole deal, decans included. Yes the Babalon card comes with the decans. I went through the same process as you, getting the app first and reading the book. I find the decans really complement well the deck, especially the minors. I use the decans to study astrology, especially the decan system. For now at least, once I understand a bit more the astrology part, I am a newbie, then I will add the decans into the deck for readings. The whole package I feel is a masterpiece, and I love the Thoth deck. I am even a little afraid to shuffle them.

Nosgo

Does anyone knows if there are independant reseller in Europe who sell this deck and book (like Beth Maiden at Little red tarot who sell a few independant tarot deck)? Because the postal charges are a bit pricey for me who live in France.

Nemia

About the decans: Mel writes quite a bit about them on her website, but I'm glad she left us something to do with these cards.

The IMHo best way to understand them is to study the associated majors (the zodiac major and three planetary majors) and minors (the three decan minors), for example for the Decans of Cancer card:
majors: Chariot (for Cancer) and Empress (Venus, 1st decan), Magician (Mercury, 2nd decan), and High Priestess (Moon, 3rd decan),
minors: 2, 3, 4 of Cups

You may also take along the High Priestess because the Moon rules Cancer.

By looking at the decan card, comparing it with all the cards that are incorporated in the decan card, you can see where each motif comes from.

It's something between the intuitive and the intellectual.

There is actually no need for Mel to explain more than that. After you have all the information about the cards that make up the decan card, the decan card itself becomes obvious. But nearly unsayable because they're so full with symbols, associations and relations.

I find this act of synthesis in the card and in my head when I look at the whole "map" of cards one of the most enlightening acts in my tarot studies ever. My old little neurons are jumping wildly.

Right now, I'm only studying the deck, not reading with it - I should buy an additional... NO NO NO I won't.

ETA: I added my study layout for Taurus/Hierophant. Added the court cards for the decans, too - although the decan cards are, far as I could see until now, built from the decan cards and zodiac major.

Nemia

I want to add another insight from my tarot calendar. Right now, I have the 2 of Cups from a number of decks on my board, among them the Maria Celia Tarot (a lovely new interpretation of the TdM), the Thoth and the Tabula Mundi.

And I realize how attentively the Thoth follows the TdM tradition - just look at those two dolphin heads and how they're transformed into active dolphins, interacting with water, the Cups element.

And now look at what the Tabula Mundi does with the dolphins - it transforms them into hippocampi (the same ones that pull the Chariot - but in the Chariot, you might still think they're horses, associated with Poseidon).

It's such a striking example of the innovative ideas this deck brings, while always keeping tradition in mind. The artist doesn't just take high flights of fancy. She's absolutely grounded in esoteric tradition.

What the Thoth does to the TdM, the Tabula Mundi does to the Thoth.

I really appreciate and love that golden thread of tradition running through the deck's surprising and new images.

csmith0406

Thank you everyone. I definitely get a sense of cardstock from all these comments. This one above is my favourite - and it's interesting what Nemia says about the off-white colour. That does makes a huge difference-. I have an early Navigators of the Mystic SEA and the later very-white bordered ones have a different feel. Conway's Intuitive Tarot also has off-white borders and it makes it a very pleasing and restful to look at.

Did you receive your deck? And if so did you like it?