One Deck Wonder Resurrected

hopena

The DruidCraft and I are getting along well. I have always felt that if I had to get rid of all my decks, it's the only one I would have to keep. So far this ODW has re-enforced that feeling. I've done personal readings with it, readings for others with it, a few study group entries with it, and the daily draws rather consistently to my surprise and delight- and I am not tired of the deck at all and have no need or desire to pick up another deck. It could become my main reading deck after all this is said and done.

It is nice though, that the rules allow us to continue to participate in previous commitments that we wanted to continue. :)

I think it's just my state of mind. I'm now thinking of the Shapeshifter Tarot that I've barely used, because I saw things in hat deck - I could feel the cold in some of the cards, or the sadness. I'm feeling groundless in life, and I'm not feeling attached to my Druidcraft anymore. I'm feeling this way with everything, though.

I might try working with my Tarot of the Master, today.

Tarot Orat

Lots of us have big collections of decks and they're all so appealing and beautiful, we hop from one to another and never get to know any of them as well as we'd like. So the One Deck Wonder is a way of slowing ourselves down to take a good long look at one of our pretty little friends. :)

Exactly! Most of the time I would want to do a reading and dither for so long over which deck that I never actually did it....or I'd pick a deck and then not be satisfied and wish I'd used another one. Having the always-go-to decks keeps me from wasting mental energy that I could be using for the reading!

ETA: There's actually something called "choice fatigue," the brain can't constantly make decisions with the same level of efficiency....and if you use up your efficient-choice-making time with small details, the big decisions later in the day can be rushed or poorly considered.

Tarot Orat

I think it's just my state of mind. I'm now thinking of the Shapeshifter Tarot that I've barely used, because I saw things in hat deck - I could feel the cold in some of the cards, or the sadness. I'm feeling groundless in life, and I'm not feeling attached to my Druidcraft anymore. I'm feeling this way with everything, though.

{{{{{{big hug}}}}}}} Take care of yourself, do whatever feels best for you!!!!

Alamaris

I'm back!

With the International Icon! :D

The break I took to recover from all that hospital guff was precisely what I needed, both physically and mentally. On the tarot front, it allowed me to clarify my opinions as to what I wanted from the ODW -- in essence, to be able to read off-the-cuff without books or guides. (It also allowed time for the IIT to arrive in the mail, which solved the "which deck?" question in about 0.02 seconds.)

My new guidelines:

1. I will use the International Icon Tarot from February 20th to December 31st of 2013. If I want to use a Marseilles, I may do so in September.

2. If I happen to purchase a deck, I will check for completeness and then store it with the rest of my decks in a sealed tote bin.

3. I will continue my already-begun study binder, which has a page for each card and lots of room for notes. My focus will be on the Golden Dawn system and how it applies to the RWS, as well as some degree of study on Qabala and traditional astrology. I will journal my readings in the same binder, even if I only write down the spread and the card names whilst in a rush. I will read as much extraneous tarot material as I need to satisfy my study itch. I will also make an honest attempt to restart my blog, but this is not a hard and fast promise.

4. I will draw at least one card daily, and shuffle frequently. When I feel sufficiently comfortable with the deck, I will offer free readings in the appropriate subforum.

5. I will allow myself to "cheat" on certain, infrequent instances. For example, my mother and I do a Grand Tableau Lenormand spread together at least once a month. Similarly, she prefers using her own deck when doing tarot readings, so I will very occasionally be handling hers while I help her interpret (the Doreen Virtue tarot -- what a contrast!). I may use the Halloween Tarot on, well, Halloween.

6. I will post here frequently, to support others and to get support if I need it. Oh -- and I shall have fun! :love:

Flaxen

Still using Dame Fortune's as often as possible. I don't read for myself every day - never have been a daily draw kind of person - but I am enjoying getting the cards out and just looking at them.

Although they follow Etteilla's meanings and can seem a bit 'fortune telling' at first glance, I am finding that there is a lot of depth to them. I really don't feel tempted to use any other decks at the moment which is a good thing. It's nice to be monogamous for a change. :)

Carla

Thoth

I'm becoming quite fond of Thoth. I can't believe how much my relationship with it has changed in just 19 days. (I think that's how long it's been). -- and I still have until 20th March to keep breaking the ice with this amazing deck. We may even be on speaking terms by then (where I call it 'Excuse me, Mr Thoth' , it calls me 'Did You Hear Something?') ;)

AmberFox

2 weeks in...Tarot of Vampyres

Okay I am 2 weeks in and am having the best tarot readings ever for my self. I am learning new techniques from people on youtube and learning alot about my self, my craft and spiritual life and every day life.
I am also loving comming here on the forum in my breaks at work and just reading and posting. It is making my work days a whole lot more fun.

Even though I don't take my cards out at work to play with them, I am taking them with me in my bag every day so they are realy taking on my energy.

I have already blessed this deck but am going to make a ritual/incantation/spell to basically make a pact with this deck. It will be for me only, and if I ever would use it to read for others, they will not be allowed to touch the deck. I have no problem any one touching any of my other decks, but this one is becomming real special real fast to me.

You might think I am maybe going a bit OTT but...... I guess words can not describe the lessons I am learning. I did my daily draw summary spread tonight and it just blew me away, and it was a reading showing me my everyday life.... and it has clarified so much.

Any ways thats enough ramblings from me....(I am soo tired, going to go to bed now!!)

Stick with it you all because great things will happen, and most of all HAVE FUN!!
BB AF

Disa

Hopena, please do take care of yourself. Do what you need to do as far as working with a deck that makes you feel the best.

I'm back!

With the International Icon! :D

The break I took to recover from all that hospital guff was precisely what I needed, both physically and mentally. On the tarot front, it allowed me to clarify my opinions as to what I wanted from the ODW -- in essence, to be able to read off-the-cuff without books or guides. (It also allowed time for the IIT to arrive in the mail, which solved the "which deck?" question in about 0.02 seconds.)

Welcome back, Alamaris. I'm glad things are working out for you :)

revivifyingraine

Hello! I will be using my Mary-El. Something about it is attracting me to look deeper. I will keep it in my bag and skim through it at work if I can hide it from nosy eyes. For the pip deck, I shall use the BOTA deck. I enjoy the concept of studying my decks, but can't commit a whole year or so to one. I have about 12 decks right now. Of course, that number will most likely grow. I'm resisting the urge though.

I have a notebook. I jot down whatever comes to my mind, and I fill up a few pages with thoughts each time.

I just ordered the Pamela Colman-Smith commemorative box to replace an incomplete Universal Waite (but I don't need to look at that deck just yet), along with Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom. The Mary-El book is horrible and boring and doesn't really help me understand the deck well so I'll also read the threats here on AT as well.

I'm kinda getting bored with reading. I would like to really understand my cards better. But, if anybody wants a reading, I'm going with my Tea Leaf cards. But that's not often so I'm not worried about it.

So I'm committing to a Fool's Journey. I've been playing around with Tarot for about 13 years now, and I do feel as if I'm just beginning to really understand it better. I'm going to go put my Mary-El in a bag now.

cheers!

Tarot Orat

Welcome back, Alamaris! And welcome, revivifyingraine :)

I love reading everyone's posts in this thread. It's great that so many of us are really getting in touch with our Tarot roots and learning so much not only about the decks, but ourselves and our lives! The Daily Draws thread is also insightful, I check it a few times a day. So far I've managed to write up a daily draw every day, even though I don't always post them right away. Finding that "me-space" and "me-time" to shuffle, draw the card, contemplate it, and write about it is really refreshing even (especially?) on the busiest day!

Maybe at the end of the month I'll take a look back on the "statistics" - how many Majors, how many of each suit, how many courts, how many of each pip number - just to see if there's some overall message or underlying theme. (Also because I'm a nerd and like to make spreadsheets! :D )