Why are playing cards not so popular?

Phoenix Rising

Two very experienced cartomancers of over 20 years have both said that their intuition opened up after 2 years of continuous use of the cards, they just knew their cards so well it became a part of them.

I think any tool that you use continually, you will soon master it and it's message.

celticnoodle

not sure why it took me this long to find this thread! when i first began to read cards, i started with an ordinary deck of playing cards. i found them much easier to read then the tarot cards. I thought it was because i was so very familiar with the cards, already. they just seemed to be so simple to understand--hearts were just what you thought when you looked at them-about family and friends, diamonds re: wealth & means, etc. ordinary decks 'speak' to me.

however, when i began to read for my family and friends, my friends wanted the tarot cards. they would look at me funny, when i would bring out my playing cards. my family was okay with it, as my mother read with regular cards years before as did other members of my family. however, my nieces were also more drawn to the tarot. so, i began using them. i do still bring out the playing cards on occaision. i like them immensley, as they are also much easier to stick into your purse when you are on the go then the 78 card pack. like someone else who mentioned in this thread-if i was forced to give up all but one deck of cards, the one i would keep is my 52 deck. :)

Little Baron

Nice to hear your thoughts CN.

It is funny how people trust the pack, more than reader. Essentially, tarot is just a set of images, not unlike a playing card pack. But because of the media, people seem to imagine that they are going to get a 'better' reading with a tarot deck than a playing card deck.

I am finding them fascinating and I love the movement in readings. They feel so much more alive than my tarot spreads. The harsher cards make me jump and are far more bothering to me than the Death and Tower cards ever were.

And when I read with tarot, I never allowed myself to move from it's pathway to much. This meant this and that meant that. With playing cards, you are pretty much encouraged by successful cartomancers to bend the rules (of which there does not seem to be many) and shape the deck and your readings to suit your own personal slant. And I think that is very healthy. I got so stuck in my tarot readings, so this is a very important lesson for me.

The other thing is that I could never settle on a particular deck. Here, all of them are pretty much the same, so I can grab any card pack and get going. I don't have to think about elemental differences, added or taken away symbolism.

I think I have returned to playing cards just at the right time.

LB

Flavio

Perhaps is the "availabilty" of the playing cards that prevents the people to see them as a valid divinatory tool.

I got into reading playing cards as an "emergency divination tool" you see, I was on a businesstrip and really needed to have a reading but my Tarot cards were safe at home, later that day I went to buy some food at a small supermarket and playing cards were sold there, at that moment I realised it was important to add pc reading to my skills as they are available everywhere.

Besides, during a business trip I wouldn't mind loosing a pc deck, but if I loose my Hanson Roberts, that would be real drama.

Joermit

Yes... the availability of pcs is wonderful... you can find them most everywhere... what's cool with working with pcs, is when they seem to pop up in your life... like... I park my car at the mall and open my door and there's a nice like ace of hearts laying before me... or... I'm taking a walk and I see a few cards scattered by the road... never had this happen with tarot... and it's sorta cool...

also... in working with pcs... I find those that may be unsure about tarot and shy away from tarot readings, are okay with pcs... don't seem as threatened by them or view them as "bad"

likewise... I've found that people who often get tarot readings are a bit blown away by pcs... like they'd never thought it could be done or accurate... or are actually put off cause they get so many readings they actually know what certain tarot cards mean and look for them and assume so much... they can't do that with the pcs...

and like LittleBuddha said... the flexibility of working with pcs is its true gift... also the nuances that at first seem overlooked...

great posts all! thanks...

Joey

fall_guy

LittleBuddha said:
The harsher cards make me jump and are far more bothering to me than the Death and Tower cards ever were.
Perhaps the 'problem' with tarot is that the cards have become increasingly ambigious? We're encouraged (by books and learning) to see the positive and negative aspects of all the cards. Death can be a good thing. The Tower can be liberating. I haven't used playing cards, but it might be refreshing to use a tool that cuts out all the b-s (no offence intended :D )...

ArcanoMáximo

Tarot is Tarot

to me there are also questions that are very difficult to answer with pcs...
for instance,
how do you answer a question like:
Which might be my best profession?
If Strength is the card that the querent gets i know that something related with animals or even a dentist is the best in this case,
and usually the client says "oh yes, that's true, is what I've always wanted to be!"
How do you do that with pcs?

Joermit

Well... personally, I would never use any divinatory tool to tell someone what job would be best for them... I would pull in regards to what they need to know in finding a profession in which they'd be happy... and then see what I get... hearts could indicate someone who might excell in the arts, counseling, healing, creative fields, etc.... clubs someone who's a good communicator so sales, marketing, public relations... diamonds could indicate financial professions, banking, accounting, etc... spades someone with big ideas and good thoughts... advertising or something...

when it comes to questions of this nature, I usually encourange my clients to go after what makes them happy and fulfilled... they can do whatever they want to do... it's just a matter of taking a leap of faith and actually find what they enjoy... we create everything in our lives... I encourage all to create positive change and what they want...

just my thoughts...

Joey

Flavio

Joermit said:
I would pull in regards to what they need to know in finding a profession in which they'd be happy... and then see what I get... hearts could indicate someone who might excell in the arts, counseling, healing, creative fields, etc.... clubs someone who's a good communicator so sales, marketing, public relations... diamonds could indicate financial professions, banking, accounting, etc... spades someone with big ideas and good thoughts... advertising or something...
I see, each tool has its own way to tell you things, given you ask in accordance with divinatory tool limits.