Mantegna Deck (merged threads)

Strega

MystiqueMoonlight, congrats on your new deck! Enjoy! :)

wavebreaker

Does it come with an LWB that explains a bit more about the meaning of the cards?

I'm going to pick up my Meneghello Mantegna at the post office tomorrow and am still waiting for the Silver Mantegna to arrive... ;)

MystiqueMoonlight

The silver deck has 25 additionla cards which give brief (and I mean brief) meanings and there is a LWB, however those of you who know me know my thoughts on LWB's :)

But I must say there is a very interesting layout in the LWB which I have never seen before (no reference is made to the Celtic Cross). I haven't quite gotten the grasp of yet, but when I do I will post it here for those of you who don't have the deck.

wavebreaker

I just picked up my Meneghello Mantegna at the post office and it's beautiful!

The packaging is lovely: it's not just a box, but a book cover that is made to look old; it even has a red seal on the back... ;) The book cover closes with two white ribbons.
The cards themselves look wonderful, like they are really printed on old paper. You shouldn't pick them up though, because then you realise they are printed on new, thick paper ;).

There's a small booklet with it, in Italian. At first glance, it doesn't give any information on how to use the cards, just a description of the five "suits".

The deck is numbered: I got number 222 out of 1000.

MystiqueMoonlight

Wow that's cool. However the copy I have is the silver one.

Is all of the LWB in Italian, because there is an interesting spread in there I want to try out which I have not seen before.

If it is let me know and I'll scan it and post it here.

You can take a look at some samples of the deck I have here http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/mantegna/

catlin

Oh, dear, you all want me to have this deck! Hm, guess I know what I will give myself as Samhain gift ;)

wavebreaker

MystiqueMoonlight said:
Wow that's cool. However the copy I have is the silver one.

Is all of the LWB in Italian, because there is an interesting spread in there I want to try out which I have not seen before.
I'm still waiting for my Silver Mantegna, which I got on eBay, so I will soon have both editions... ;)

Yes, all of the LWB is in Italian. There are two "schemes" in it, showing the different "suits" in a spiral form, but I don't know whether that's meant as a spread. I'll wait until I get the Silver one and then I can compare it with the spread in that one's LWB.

And here are some scans of the Meneghello edition.

catlin

I ordered my Mantegna yesterday but the book seller could not figure out from the listing in the computer if it is the silver edition or a "normal" one. Luckily,

I can have a look at the deck before I will buy it ;)

Cerulean

This link has a full numbering of the 50 cards for your Meneghello edition.

http://www.trigono.com/Tarocchi/tarocchi-del-mantegna-meneghello.htm

Thanks for the Pasteboard Masquerade review. I thought I read in the Silver Edition by Lo Scarabeo that G. Berti is writing a book on the Mantegna, and he mentions the time of Lionelle D'Este...that is in the early 1400s, I think. I'm very curious if anyone has seen a book.

I've been working on and off trying to check about the 1465 tarocchi poem and subsequent 1495 etchings done for the D'Estes, but that is on human passions and one of those other variants that didn't make a big historical game splash. The Mantegna is definitely prettier and fun to look at now.

Mari H.

wavebreaker

I got my Silver Mantegna today and it's absolutely beautiful!!! :)

The LWB is in French (I could have known, since I got it from someone in France... ;) ), however I can manage that. Besides, the meanings on the cards and on the extra cards are in Dutch as well. But yes, very brief...