Mark Filipas - The Pasteboard Masquerade

venicebard

Stuff from Lingua Franca thread

le pendu said:
Is he only choosing the word with the right letter? Even if it is less common or not really appropriate? Is he only focusing on the things that do match and ignoring the ones that don't?
Well of course he is. The question is twofold, then: (1) is too much of each letter's words left out for what he's found to remain convincing, and more importantly (2) could one find most of the items under another letter -- if scattered under several letters, it would not constitute a fatal flaw methinks, and indeed I reject outright the possibility of there being as complete a collection of items shown on the cards for every card (though two or three are sparser than the rest) by any other method of letter-application.

I have, though, embarked on a study (which I should have performed long ago) of old Hebrew words starting with each letter that reinforce the bardic meaning, with special attention of course to the three-letter roots. And Robert, you might be glad to hear that I, who fear language study as consisting of endless memorization, now see that Hebrew is going to be simpler, in that words conjeal about the consonantal roots with only a difference in vocalization or the addition or insertion of one or two further letters: the roots themselves are not endless in number (being three-letter roots). As a preliminary to findings with regard to one letter, offered only as an example of what I am about, I bring over here what I originally posted on the Lingua Franca thread as to specific exoteric/esoteric letter-shifts:

Exoterically XII LePendu is punishment of a wrongdoer, hence L, whose meaning is 'teach, learn' (Hebrew lemedh). But esoterically, it is D the oak of self-sacrifice.

Exoterically, VI L'Amoureux is vav as conjunction, U-heather of summer, full moon, and love's consummation. But esoterically, it is that higher love represented by grape's sweetness, M-vine, which in Hebrew is a supplicant kneeling before the Ark (intermediate mem kneeling before rectangular container represented by final mem). [The Welsh (and Irish?) notoriously confused V and M, leading me to speculate that AMBROSIUS AVRELIENUS is MERLINUS AMBROSIUS (through AMRELINUS such like).]

Exoterically, XVI LaMaisonDieu is all those O words for the outward calamity, including OTRH 'Crown', and represents its unsettling. Esoterically, it is shin, the crown itself (currently with 3 prongs but originally with 4, according to tradition), and admonishes us: "Shsh, be silent concerning your sufferings."

Similarly, the P words for 'Paradise', 'Nakedness', 'Orifice of womb', etc. condense esoterically into the mere letter V, vav-as-conjunction, which represents (as U-heather) love's consummation. Or consider how those Q words for 'Summer', 'Sunbeam, Rey', and so on condense into the space of the mere letter yod, which is bardic II-mistletoe/loranthus -- the Golden Bough!

Or from another angle -- and quite striking -- consider samekh as SMK 'To support, Prop': to the Gnostic, man's exoteric support goes to XVI LeDiable, whereas esoteric support goes, more properly, to VIII Justice.

And consider how one of the three mothers, Sh-shin, is caught in the trappings of XXI LeMonde exoterically, while esoterically XXI The World is distilled out as teyt, the world-serpent (in square Hebrew one's crossed legs under one when meditating, in old Semitic and Greek the symbol for earth, a crossed circle, to represent the equator).

NOW:

Just one example of a pattern I expect to be repeated in most cases (though I am beginning to suspect that Hebrew mistook zayin for straif-'strife'-blackthorn based on its meaning 'weapon', which would make bardic I-yew tzaddi, a whistling, which would fit the fact that in Irish the letter was used to indicate shrillness, I believe).

Gimel: Whereas Mark has found words for the specific individual items pictured on trump III L'Imperatrice, here I present words relating directly to trump X LaRoue deFortune that I found in my favorite (new) Hebrew dictionary and confirmed to be old by checking in B. Davidson's Analytical Hebrew and Chaldean Lexicon, expressed using Mark's transliteration.

First, his GBYRH 'queen' has its root in GBR 'to become strong, powerful, mighty', which is more vague and generates other words besides just 'queen'. Now, with regard to FORTUNA:

GDSh 'heap'/'plenty'.
GVRL 'fate; lot', from root GRL, 'to be gritty, stony' and also 'lot, prop. the stone by which the lot was determined'.
GZL 'to rob, plunder' (jockying for position on wheel).
GLGL 'wheel; circle; winch' (was around the Empress's neck, now it is the whole card).
GAH 'rise'.
GMD 'dwarf'!, though only 'a kind of measure or length' in the Lexicon, which could easily have become 'dwarf' by medieval times, yet this is a specific object anyway (crowned atop wheel), not the trump's greater or inner meaning I think.
GDL 'grow, increase, become great'.
GMD 'reduce; contract'.
GMVL 'reward; payment; retribution; retalation; deed', from root GML '1. to retribute, to recompense, good or evil', and also 'ripen; mature', and of course 'camel'.
GMR 'finish, conclude' (come full circle?).
GNB 'steal; deceive; cross stealthily'.
GNZ 'treasure'.
GRS 'crush, mill, grind'.
GRO 'reduce, subtract, diminish'.
GRR 'drag, tow, bring about, imply' (dragged around by wheel?)
GShVM 'realization, materialization', and GShMY 'corporeal, material, temporal', both from root GShM 'to cause to rain' and also 'body'.

To these, which constitute a substantial portion of the G roots, I would add:
GLH 'go into exile, wander', and
GRSh 'expel, deport',
which point to the reason it means camel: in the geodetic bardic model based on Giza, G represents the desert approaches to lower Mesopotamia (from the west). (Earlier 'heap' or 'plenty' is what the poor camel has to carry.)

[I will continue my pursuit quietly for now and post its findings only once I have something more substantial to say.]

kwaw

venicebard said:
I honestly now believe it likely that the Tarot of Marseilles was both children's Jewish picture-lexicon and esoteric world-model (based on bardo-Judaic rectification of an extremely ancient tradition whence the Jewish and Keltic both branched off originally).

In terms of language education [jewish or latin] how do think the lexicon was applied? What was its utilitilatarian value [I presume for the education of children it would have had one?]. What is the value of a dozen non-despcript words for head gear or vegetation? None of which serve as a grammatical model. How does this apply to language education of the period which commenced with memorization of non-semantic syllables?
Curious

Kwaw

jmd

It's probably not a very good idea to post in such a thread when I have little time and may not be thinking as clearly, but here goes.

Firstly, regarding VeniceBard's "I would say that if you believe the scattered trump-order variants found in Italy extant pre-Marseilles actually predate Marseilles historically, then you would have to reject Mark's hypothesis", I simply disagree.

In fact, Filipas's alphabetic suggestion may instead provide an account for a stabilisation into the Marseille sequence from earlier variants that had numerous other influences - with some of these possibly not even having 22 in total. If anything, with an alphabetic sequence the numbering (or at least ordering) becomes a more important consideration than may otherwise be the case.

With regards to Kwaw's "Unfortunately it isnt' a chain or complete sequence, as it appear to break down at the Hermit", I do not see that at all! Perhaps (and here it is Mark that has to provide evidence to the contrary) that single word 'TMPV' should not be there, but this is only one from a set that is included within his booklet.

I also suspect that the approach to the criticism is stemming from the wrong direction, so let me suggest the following.

Firstly, let's begin with a suggestion (an hypothesis, if you like) that the sequence of cards reflects an alphabetic image-set. If this is the case, then one would expect that important aspects within the card imagery reflect this.

What Mark Filipas shows is that important aspects within the card imagery does indeed do this. Furthermore, it does this in a manner that reflects, in ordinal value, the Hebrew alphabet.

Is this sufficient to conclude that the hypothesis is correct? no. It simply shows that the sequence may have indeed been constructed out of an alphabetic consideration (amongst, undoubtedly, other factors).

Kwaw's criticism (in part - and am sure to be corrected if I have read more than I should have) is that the ordinal sequence suggested by Mark can be criticised as unimportant for a number of reasons: firstly, Mark makes errors with the usage of some words (such as TMPV); and secondly, that different letter sequences also results in correlated matches.

The first of these is important in that if even ONE (and there are two examples I am aware of, the other not for the Marseille sequence) of these words is incorrect, then how are we to trust the others without the resources that one needs to do so? My response at this stage is that if Mark has made a couple of errors in the 150 page document, it is unfortunate, but does not take away from the bulk of what is being presented.

The second no-one has yet presented, EXCEPT for a few isolated cards. If there was such an equivalent match for an altered sequence, that may be for three possible different reasons, each of which applies even if no other sequence is shown: firstly, it could be that no intended alphabetic sequence was intended and that the words presented are simply an occasion to show the richness of language (the main critique I have heard about his work in any case); secondly, that the deck was standardised (or created) according to the alphabetic sequence shown by Filipas, but that the richness of language cannot 'prove' this as numerous other words can be 'found' if looked for in other cards (eg, Kwaw's presentation of the letter B with the Bateleur, and A with the Fool); thirdly, an intended alphabetic sequence was intended, but not the one presented by Mark - his find being no more than a lucky coincidence given the richness of language.

What Mark also presents, however, is that the lexicon of the time (at least in Hebrew) was more limited than the later expansion of language. The overall 'fit', than, is quite astounding.

Let's say that various decks existed prior to the Marseille (contra VeniceBard), and let's say that I wanted to make use of these to reflect an alphabet given that I notice some existing resemblances. I would be both constricted to what was there as a base to play with, but also freed to alter details and order to make this set. The Bateleur and Hanged Man I could easily mildly alter to reflect not only items, but the very shape of the letter (Alef and Lamed) - this would not be possible for all images, of course, but in all cases would be able to bring the existing set into line with the intent.

IF something along those lines occured, it would be difficult to prove without any doubts arising. The evidence would rather be multivarious, each in isolation of no great psychological strength. The combined evidence, however, has an explanatory force that no other evidence to date has provided (save the accidental one).

kwaw

Through the happenstance crowds off random events
That battle like soldiers on the gaming table of life,
As jester headed puppets of a hobby horse, we hop and
Dance with baubles, oblivious to the swords and strife
Beyond the shores of our own obsessions; between
The roll of the dice, the turn of the cards, the ebbs and flows
Of fortune, we failed to notice the lord of chance
Behind his gaming table, the battle field of our lives,
Above the haphazardous crowd had stepped, and
Before our very eyes, and right beneath our nose, had left.

Kwaw

kwaw

jmd said:
With regards to Kwaw's "Unfortunately it isnt' a chain or complete sequence, as it appear to break down at the Hermit", I do not see that at all!...

The combined evidence, however, has an explanatory force that no other evidence to date has provided (save the accidental one).

We all have our bird/tree = butterfly/flower moments I suppose :)

Kwaw

Rosanne

I have found that if TDM is a lexicon, then what aid to memory is it for? It would seem to me that it must jerk the brain into seeing a longer script. For example- I think it is visual shorthand. When you look at the Bateleur's hollow tube -ABVB- what longer script does it signify. I am not conversant with Jewish mysticism, but as a wild example the the Hollow tube= reed? Lo, thou trusted in the staff of this broken reed (Egypt)- on whom do you trust? from Issiah. Maybe AB the shoots of a plant = ..Surely the people are grass- grass dies, flowers fade but the word of the Lord shall stand forever
I can accept a lexicon only if it has meaning other than ABC. This is how I use Tarot today- the image expresses a longer script. ~Rosanne

Rosanne

To add to thoughts on why a alphabetic Masquerade would be used. In Medieval times it is thought that learning was based on memory processes rather than what we use now i.e. communication of information by the written word. So an image like the Tarot card was a memory device- an inventory used as memory training- to retain the order and flow of speech in an ordered way you used the image. These images became markers to cue other material.
With Tarot I just do not know what other material was cued by the image. It often seems to me to be astrological and sometimes biblical, sometimes alchemical, but most probably it was something to do with Jewish mystical thought. I read somewhere images were called Literature of Laity. ~Rosanne

kwaw

jmd said:
With regards to Kwaw's "Unfortunately it isnt' a chain or complete sequence, as it appear to break down at the Hermit", I do not see that at all! Perhaps (and here it is Mark that has to provide evidence to the contrary) that single word 'TMPV' should not be there, but this is only one from a set that is included within his booklet.

Yes, but it is a comparitively poor set, and the fact that Mark has chosen to use a made up word to ''demonstrate the presence' of an alphabetic sequence reflects that fact. That there are sets with an abundance of words and others with relatively few reflects of course exactly what may be expected by chance. Why does he need to posit it at all if not in recognition of the fact that it is indeed a poor set?

The first of these is important in that if even ONE (and there are two examples I am aware of, the other not for the Marseille sequence) of these words is incorrect, then how are we to trust the others without the resources that one needs to do so? My response at this stage is that if Mark has made a couple of errors in the 150 page document, it is unfortunate, but does not take away from the bulk of what is being presented.

It is not an error, Mark purposely posits the existence of this word for which he has no evidence [unless he has come up with some since], and then used it on that page of his web site rather than one of the 'real' words from the [poor] set to 'demonstrate' an alphabetic sequence. Why didn't he use one of the real words from the set when he deems the presence of an alphabetical sequence essential to his theses?

What Mark also presents, however, is that the lexicon of the time (at least in Hebrew) was more limited than the later expansion of language.

However limited it was, he certainly demonstrates for example, how rich the language was at the time in synonyms for non-descript items of headgear and pieces of vegetation!

Kwaw

kwaw

kwaw said:
If its of any interest some lingua franca words that can be found transliterated into Hebrew in the Shay Lamara, include for example:

bagatela
a trifle. baga+yla dy cwldy. This trifle of a solde. [SLE 70b, 133a]

baguette
stick. wcbt fy qlbha wwaHd lbagy+. And I found a stick in it. [SLE 50a]

Kwaw

An alternative B list then may look like:

BAGYT - baguette - stick
BAGATYLA - bagatelle - a trifle
BRA – to curse/to bless
BRVQM – rich apparel, many colours
BRVSH – a tree [mulberry, balsam]
BQAY – a coin [worth half a shekel]
BChVR – youth, young man
BD – liar, boaster, charlatan, oracle priest
BDIM - liar, false oracle, conjuror
BGD – deceitful, treacherous dealer
BLY'L – scoundrel

A list [from another thread]

ABVZ - BUTTOCKS also AChVR
ABYVN - POOR MAN, BEGGAR
ABD - WANDERING
ABRQYN - UNDERCLOTHES, UNMENTIONABLES, BREECHES
AGD - A STAFF/POLE USED AS A YOKE TO CARRY BURDENS ON THE SHOULDER
AGVDCh - BUNDLE
AGVR - HILL
AGYA - RIDGED OR ROUNDED HILLS
ADQ - CAUGHT HOLD OFF, FASTENED TO
AChZ - SEIZE
ADR - LEATHER BAG
AVDNA - LEATHER BOTTLE
AVVR - TRAVELLORS
AKSA - MAD
AY - WILD BEAST, HYENA, JACKAL, WOLF [Animals that howl as if in lament]
AYN - NOTHING, NOT
AYN - NOUGHT, SOMETHING ROUND, BUTTOCK SHAPED
AYLA/N - TREE
AYLM - DUMB, MUTE
ALM - DUMB, IGNORANT
AVVLTh - FOLLY, FOOLISHNESS
AVYL - FOOL, FOOLISH MAN (DROP THE Y AND YOU GET AVL = CIRCLE, BEGINNING; ALVL = THING OF NOUGHT)
AVYRTA - KNAPSACK

source:Jastrow, Driver-Brown, Shay Lamara.

Kwaw

le pendu

Thanks Kwaw,

This really illustrates my concerns.

Let's look at them together:

kwaw's list said:
Fool = Aleph
ABVZ - BUTTOCKS also AChVR
ABYVN - POOR MAN, BEGGAR
ABD - WANDERING
ABRQYN - UNDERCLOTHES, UNMENTIONABLES, BREECHES
AGD - A STAFF/POLE USED AS A YOKE TO CARRY BURDENS ON THE SHOULDER
AGVDCh - BUNDLE
AGVR - HILL
AGYA - RIDGED OR ROUNDED HILLS
ADQ - CAUGHT HOLD OFF, FASTENED TO
AChZ - SEIZE
ADR - LEATHER BAG
AVDNA - LEATHER BOTTLE
AVVR - TRAVELLORS
AKSA - MAD
AY - WILD BEAST, HYENA, JACKAL, WOLF [Animals that howl as if in lament]
AYN - NOTHING, NOT
AYN - NOUGHT, SOMETHING ROUND, BUTTOCK SHAPED
AYLA/N - TREE
AYLM - DUMB, MUTE
ALM - DUMB, IGNORANT
AVVLTh - FOLLY, FOOLISHNESS
AVYL - FOOL, FOOLISH MAN (DROP THE Y AND YOU GET AVL = CIRCLE, BEGINNING; ALVL = THING OF NOUGHT)
AVYRTA - KNAPSACK

marks's list said:
Fool = Tav

Folly — ThHLH, ThPLH
Fool — ThVRMVN, ThRDA
Vagabond — ThVOH
Wandering, Waywardness — ThYVBA, ThOH
Masquerade costume, Mask, Disguise — ThChPShTh, ThLBVShTh
Crownlet — ThYN
Timbrel (around waist and neck) — ThP, ThVP
Knapsack, Travelling bag — ThRMYL
To carry a knapsack — ThRML
To suspend, To hang down — ThLY, ThLH
Pole — ThRN
Ladle — ThRVD
Staff, Crutch — ThGDA, ThGRA
Fox — ThOL, ThOLA, ThOLH
Wolf — ThVRMVS
Tearing off — ThLYShH, ThLSh
Pantaloons — ThChThVNYM
Underpants — ThChThVNYM
Furrows, Hillocks — ThLVLYTh, ThL, ThLM, ThPThYChA

Your lists make just as much sense to me personally. Each list has words in it that make a lot of sense, and others which fit with a bit of imagination.