Salamander

poivre

O.K. boot me off the boards if I'm not doing this right!
"The Animal-Wise Tarot
by Ted Andrews
designed and produced by
Dragonhawk Publishing

He has this to say Salamander = 3 of ancients (wands)

"...Salamanders are very sensitive to their environment and all changes within it. If Salamander has appeared, it is important to maintain or develop a more compatible relationship with our environment and those within it. Harmoniously cooperations is key to our success. Answers and solutions will be found within our environment-often in unexpected ways.
Male salamanders court the females with special displays, then deposit packets of sperm which the females collect. When Salamander appears, someone will be giving us the knowledge and support we need to be more productive and more fertile. There may be temporary partnership, a temporary courting, but any seeds planted from will prosper. We should plant as many of them as we are able.
Salamanders are nocturnal, avoiding direct sun, so the help and assistance we need for these successful changes and endeavors will likely come from sources which are not readily apparent, from things and from people not normally recognized...."

hope I did this right & hope you like the 3 of wands (salamander)

lark

Majecot said:
The name salamander comes from Greek words meaning fire-lizards. Ancient peoples linked salamanders to fire because salamanders often crawled out from logs that had been thrown onto fires, leading people to believe that these animals could walk through fire.
Wow, thank you Majecot for looking that up. It's nice to know my camp fire experiance was based on fact and not just alot of confused Northern Wisconsin salamanders.

poivre

What if salamanders mean the ability to handle or control the fiery energy of oneself. ( meaning fire sign people, their energy)

Why does the King, Knight & Page of Wands all have the salamanders on their clothes but the Queen does not ?

WalesWoman

What about resilliance? Even tho' the reality is salamanders escaping the fire before being crispy fried or baked, they come out just fine regardless. That Phoenix rising from the ashes aspect of conflict and struggle associated with wands. You can't repress or destroy the energy, atleast not by things getting too hot or destruction by fire. Fire purifies, tempers and hardens what it doesn't turn to ash.

It is ironic that such a damp little creature is symbolic of this suite. But maybe it's like wearing a wet towel in a fire, to cut the smoke and keep from burning, it is protection in a sense.

Indigo Rose

I found an interesting reference to this subject in the book Pictures From the Heart: A Tarot Dicitionary-by Sandra A.Thomson
salamander-"....As one of the alchemical symbols for the prima materia, it's purpose was to help the substance under transformation give up it's secret fire." pg 300.

This is quite a profound idea. What is someone's "secret fire"?
I have not studied Alchemy, so I don't know the definition of this according to that discipline. However, it came to mind that each person's secret fire is their spirit.

I would love some more insight on this topic if anyone can share their knowledge or ideas.

Blessings,
Indigo Rose

poivre

Mabee the secret fire of Wands mean these people have that extra boost left when there is nothing left to give. The people who just keep on going like The Terminator.

Indigo Rose

ros said:
1) What if salamanders mean the ability to handle or control the fiery energy of oneself. ( meaning fire sign people, their energy)

2) Why does the King, Knight & Page of Wands all have the salamanders on their clothes but the Queen does not ?

First Question:
Perhaps that "secret fire" is the spirit. The salamander represents the ability to control that fiery spirit through all of life's challenges, and transforming events.

Second Question:
I had a thought after reading some information on Alchemy, that perhaps it was based on the concept of men being in control over women. Given the time frame that the original RWS deck was created and the authority of men in all matters; especially spiritual/religious realm. This would explain why all of the male fire/wand court cards possess the salamander and the female does not. Women were considered the weaker sex in spiritual matters and control.

Blessings,
Indigo Rose

CreativeFire

Thank you to all for the information on salamanders as my son and I were discussing them this afternoon, being shown on the Wands cards. I could only tell him that they were representative of fire, but I did not know why.

Will have to tell him of the interesting story of the salamanders and the camp fire! :)

In the Sharman-Caselli deck a salamander is symbolised on nearly every one of the Wands cards, in different spots (not just the court cards).

CreativeFire

Phoenyx*

Jewel-ry said:
Notice that the salamanders on his robe are shown with their tails in their mouths. The closed circle means maturity and completion.

J :)

Perhaps this could also point to the oroborous (the snake consuming its tail) on the Magician's belt, a symbol of maturity and completion as well?