The Darkness

TemperanceAngel

ros said:
Does the question have to be about health or do you just use your intuition & the client to know.
I don't do a lot of health issues in readings.
Can be a question, a divinatory meaning or intuition..
Remember that worry and anxiety does affect our health.
XTAX

Centaur

I have just been thinking and it would seem that there are two different types of darkness in these cards (FYI I am referring to the Universal-Waite). There is darkness which is present in the cards themselves (eg. The Tower), and there is darkness which is implied by the use of blindfolds and closed eyelids, (eg. Eight of Swords). Sometimes there is the presence of both external and implied darkness (2 of Swords).

I am thinking what if anything this distinction might bring to our understanding of the cards.

For instance, in the Eight of Swords, the woman wears a blindfold, and the card is relatively bright in colour. It is not an external darkness as in the presence of darkness in the card itself, but rather a self-imposed, internal, and reflective darkness hinted at by the use of a blindfold. If she where to remove the blindfold then she would be able to move out of her rather tricky situation. I suppose then that in some of these cards the use of blindfolds and closed eyelids could refer to an inward focus rather than an external focus. For instance, in the case of the Eight of Swords the woman could be perceived to be trapped by her own anxieties and insecurities.

In the case of the Two of Swords, the darkness seems to be both apparent in the colour of the cards, and implied in the fact that the person is wearing a blindfold. This might then suggest a combination of both external and internal misery.

I suppose we could go through each card and say something along these lines, but then that would take forever. ;)

Rusty, I never knew that about the 5 of Pentacles. I must have skimmed over that part when I read the Pictorial Key To Tarot. Hehe.

C

WalesWoman

I had Morgan-Greer before getting RWS, Radiant and my first impression of this card was seeking comfort or forgiveness for creating some sort of loss. The poor guy looks remorseful and shell shocked, like perhaps he was ambushed. Sort of the return of the prodigal son? I found it really interesting that love was part of the original DM, because when my 8 year old daughter looked at it, she told me it meant "love". I'm thinking she has some real potential as a reader and wants to learn. There is a real difference in the feelings that come from the Radiant image for 5 pentacles, it seems so hopeless and destitute, where the other acknowledges the loss and gives comfort.
The darkness is things we don't know, but in that darkness is also the potential for what can be, so in a sense it does offer hope.

Dexter

To me the five of pentacles has always represented a need to just keep trudging along one foot after another. The image of them passing by the chruch window without even looking towards it tells me that you have to make your own way. The the comfort and assistance that you have always turned to is no longer available. Hence the shocked espression. You have to take it one day at a time. There is movement but very slowly almost to the point where you feel your not making any progress at all. The snow has always given me the feeling of being left out in the cold. No place to turn for comfort.

The nine of swords also is the feeling of being alone but alone with ones own thoughts and anxiety. There is no other time that this feeling of lonliness and anxiety can hit then at night. No distractions from your thoughts just the blackness and you. A feeling of being overwelmed by all that is hanging over you. With no help but from yourself.

Same theme as the 5 of pentacles.

SeaPrism

darkness in cards

...darkness as illusion...

We are stuck because of what we CHOOSE not to do or see or decide or have... not the truth but what we believe.