Rider-Waite

katyanne

I don't own a Rider-Waite deck and don't want to. Is that a bad thing? Someone told me everyone should own one of those but I really don't like them at all. I thought the cards were supposed to speak to you in some way.

gregory

If you don't want one, don't get one. BUT - it has been perhaps the most influential deck over the years - Marseille is older, and Thoth is very different.

I would bet that the majority of decks used are based on the Waite deck. It is very valuable for learning, I have to say. But if vampires are your preference - as long as they work for you, don't let it get to you ! Your Vampyres deck is based on the Waite deck anyway.

barefootlife

Eh. I don't own a traditional RWS. I just don't like it. Yeah, it's the deck upon which a bunch of decks are based, but I find it stiff, unyielding, and unpleasant to work with, where its 'clones' are more flexible.

Ace

There is no one true way. If RWS doesn't do for you, don't use it. I don't (and haven't--with a few exceptions) use a RWS deck in YEARS. But once in a while, I go back to it. It is somehow comforting for me. NOT the Christian symbolism or anything--I am not even sure why I still use it but I do.

So use what works for YOU and never apologize and never explain.

barb

devilkitty

Psst - you're not alone.

The PCS illustrations have always been a huge turn-off for me. They just sit there, mute and mocking, on the table.

That said, some of the RWS-based packs are fine. Mystical Cats (of all things! - do I need to turn in my "Thothies" card?) reads beautifully, and has perhaps the most moving Death card I've seen.

Use what speaks to you. No one will take away your tarot license.

Abrac

If you don't have good reason to own one then don't. Some day you might be inclined to look into it, but till then no sense in forcing it. :)

Wheel of Fantastic

Here's the thing about the RWS; since I studied a bit about the Tree of Life (to gain more understanding of the Thoth) I find the RWS and RWS based decks are the only ones I can stand (plus Thoth influenced decks). I guess I have been brainwashed into the Golden Dawn system - everything else is just non-occult gibberish.

BeyondtheVeil

Just...NO to RW deck lol

I don't own a Rider-Waite deck and don't want to. Is that a bad thing? Someone told me everyone should own one of those but I really don't like them at all. I thought the cards were supposed to speak to you in some way.

So with you! :thumbsup: I have one... but it is soooooooooooooooooo boring!! It is never used and I actually forgot where it is. I think that the rumor mill is probably the maker of the deck as I can't actually see it's benefits. There are so many other great decks {based on the Rider-Waite Meanings} that are so much better.

Forget what you 'hear" about any deck. I have fallen into the band wagons of "having to have such and such deck". Really.. they did nothing for me. All hype and no substance. Always purchase Tarot Decks that draw you in and not what others tell you 'everyone should have".

They are to speak to you and if the RW doesn't.. .I don't think you are alone! :thumbsup:

I have nothing against the deck.. it is just quite boring and doesn't draw me in at all either. I wish I had not bought into the hype as I have not used it after the first time trying.

Brightest Blessings! :heart:
BeyondtheVeil

Le Fanu

I shall go against the grain here.

Firstly, as a reader with a reading deck, you should go with whatever most appeals to you. However, I honestly think that if you reject the Rider Waite Smith - and I shall cool-y overlook the use of words such as "hype" and "boring" - be aware that your tarot knowledge will be missing something.

Some people just want to be intuitive readers and are not interested in tarot knowledge - but your tarot knowledge will be incomplete, like it or not. That doesn't make someone a worse reader. For me, a familiarity with the RWS in the context of tarot is like Shakespeare in the context of literature. You can still read books but your knowledge of literature will be incomplete because Shakespeare - like the RWS in tarot - is such a towering figure.

Of course there will always be those who say that Shakespeare is all hype and "boring" - and likewise there will always be a piece missing from all those RWS-based decks. You won't have a complete picture. But I don't expect anyone to agree with me :D

mrpants

Some people just want to be intuitive readers and are not interested in tarot knowledge - but your tarot knowledge will be incomplete, like it or not. That doesn't make someone a worse reader. For me, a familiarity with the RWS in the context of tarot is like Shakespeare in the context of literature. You can still read books but your knowledge of literature will be incomplete because Shakespeare - like the RWS in tarot - is such a towering figure.

This is probably the most important thing to remember. The Victorian occultists changed the face (literally and figuratively) of Tarot forever, and their influence should be noted, even if you don't use it in your practice per se. I've never owned a Rider deck, and I've been reading and studying for over 20 years. You can, however, still study the system for relatively cheap, and I'd recommend doing so as most modern decks are based on the system (Marseille and Thoth inspired works aside). I picked up a $5 copy of Eden Gray's The Complete Guide to the Tarot when I got my first deck, and found it a worthy companion as I began exploring its structure and uses.