Renaissance Tarot (Jones / Lyle) - 7 of Swords

Sulis

OK, I'm starting a thread about this card because I just don't get it.
Knowing me, the more I stare at it, the clearer it will become but that's not happening at the moment so I would like to discuss it.

Against the usual violet background of the Swords suit we see 7 swords arranged in a pattern.

At the top of the card are three crossed swords bound together by a blue ribbon.
Below them are 2 lots of 2 crossed swords, each pair bound by a blue ribbon.

Sevens to me are very complicated cards.
On the one hand they are related to The Chariot and are about challenges and how we overcome them.
They are the challenges that we push ourselves into to move forward from the success, harmony and balance of the sixes. They are that push to the 'next level'.
On the other hand, seven is a very magical number and has elements of introspection to it.
It can be seen not only as a push from the six but also as a pause to look within and decide which way to go next, which direction to push in or which chance to take.

I usually interpret the 7 of Swords as meaning using your wit, your intellect and your communication skills to overcome some sort of problem.
It can be about studying or gathering information in the form of research.
It can also be about coming up with a cunning or crafty plan and taken to the extreme it can mean deceit.

I often split the sevens into a three and a four.... The creativity and progress of the three interacting with the grounding and manifestation of the four but this pattern of swords isn't saying anything to me. I see the three at the top but then 2 lots of 2..... Help....

Attachments

• 7 of Swords.jpg
    7 of Swords.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 667

Debra

I don't get it either. However, it reminds me of political intrigue--battles, factions, the two pairs at the bottom are tied up together and there's a bigger faction at the top. If you walk into this card--like a cocktail party--you won't be welcome and it's not easy to see where you should stand.

Sulis, much appreciate your taking initiative with so many of these discussions.

Papageno

this is the card of the tactician.

motto: by whatever means necessary

it is Machiavellian in nature.
many people see this as a "bad" card ie sneaky underhanded deception devicive etc.

what they fail or refuse to see is that the importance is in the intent.
is the motivation/goal indicated by the tactics in this card ultimately for good or bad?

edited:

"using your wit, your intellect and your communication skills to overcome some sort of problem"

"political intrigue--battles, factions"

think of intense negotiations - backroom deals - power behind the throne - United Nations - corporate manueverings - military - legal proceedings - contracts ......you get the idea.

and everything else we deal with on a more mundane level in the course of our everyday routines. we embrace the spirit of the 7/swords all the time.
if you can't get something done/a problem solved one way you will look for an alternative solution.
if customer service won't give you what you want you will demand to speak to a supervisor.

so it seems to me that you both "get it"......very much so :)

edited again:

you see a dual set of 2/swords and the 3/swords hangs over them.

X III X ...........barrier - divide/conquer - barrier

computer retailer ABC vs. computer retailer XYZ
you say to XYZ.........match ABC's price, throw in extra memory and I'll buy this notebook computer from you.

Sulis

Thank you Papageno, I think I do get it now.

So this could be negotiations, folks trying to solve a problem using their wit and intellect.

2 factions both wrapped in the ribbon so unable to get anywhere, they need the third sword (shown in the top 3) to cut through this stalemate and work it out...
Is that it?
Do I get it?

I guess it will become clearer when it shows up in a reading. You know what they say, context is everything :D
If often (usually) takes a reading for me to really see what cards that I struggle with are trying to say.
I'm sure it will turn up in a reading and (hopefully) will shout out it's meaning to me :)

And Debra, thanks for the thanks :) but no need really, I'm enjoying myself. I usually end up posting study group threads alone so I'm pleased to have some people to discuss this really interesting deck with :D
I think study groups often go off the boil if they move too slowly so I'm trying to keep the input going on this one.
So thank you all for joining in with me :)

Papageno

Sulis said:
So this could be negotiations, folks trying to solve a problem using their wit and intellect.

2 factions both wrapped in the ribbon so unable to get anywhere, they need the third sword (shown in the top 3) to cut through this stalemate and work it out...

yes that's it, that's the positive aspect.
a third party steps in to mediate/negotiate a just and peaceful settlement that is equitable and beneficial to all parties.

the dark-side scenario would be a third party intervening under false pretenses. he wears two faces playing both sides against the other while currying favor with both.
he is a mercenary and profiteer.

Enchanted

Debra said:
Sulis, much appreciate your taking initiative with so many of these discussions.

I just wanted to second this! :)

I feel like I'm always running behind, and playing catch up, damn time differences! :( Off to catch up! :D

Debra

Enchanted, no hurry! I'm always glad to see these discussion continuing!

Sulis

Enchanted please don't feel as if you have to rush to keep up. It's wonderful to log on and see a thread from last week or the week before still getting new insights. There is such a lot to talk about with these cards, the images are completely original.

I hope you don't mind me going this fast. I know that to keep my interest up in a study group it has to be a bit dynamic. It's the very slow moving study groups that fizzle out quickly, I think it's because people just get bored and move onto something else.

I just keep pulling the odd card and writing what comes into my head... I think we're doing really well, I'm enjoying this study anyway :).

Oh and if anyone feels like pulling a card and starting a thread, just go ahead :)

Enchanted

Sulis said:
I hope you don't mind me going this fast. I know that to keep my interest up in a study group it has to be a bit dynamic. It's the very slow moving study groups that fizzle out quickly, I think it's because people just get bored and move onto something else.

Oh no, I didn't mean it that way, that things were moving too quickly for me, just as a reason for me being a day or two behind with posts. Sorry, sometimes things don't come out the way I meant. But I did want to thank you for starting most of these threads for us. :) I'm really enjoying this study! :)

The 7 of swords poses a problem for me, I just don't like it! I think Papageno is right, it is because I don't understand it and take it's meaning to the nth degree of nasty and underhandness. I like that this card has no sneaky guy in it, but on the other hand it is a difficult card for me also, because now I'm just not sure what to do with it.

I usually learn through writing, so I thought that I would try just looking at the card and writing down whatever came to mind... so forgive my gobbledegook! :D

Three swords bound together by a ribbon, bound by energy... bound to seperateness... the lone wolf perhaps? Thoughts, communications all tied...tongue tied? Thinking the people are out to hurt you.

Two sets of two swords seperate but bound, truce, indecision.

The ribbons around the two sets of two swords are floppy, inactive, at rest, at peace. The ribbons around the three swords, are in motion, they look like arms, are they reaching out or are they flailing... out of control. Throwing caution to the wind.

Saying what you want, or not saying what you want, being unable to, having your own words being used against you. Be careful what you say.

The two sets of two swords are horizontal, the three are vertical. Why?

After all that I still don't feel any the wiser. :(

It strikes me as being restrictive, I feel quite tight and claustrophobic almost when looking at it. I feel like there is no way out. Take out the sneaky guy and I still don't like this card, or understand it.

WooMonkey

Enchanted said:
I just wanted to second this! :)
I feel like I'm always running behind, and playing catch up, damn time differences! :( Off to catch up! :D

:D HAHA! I felt this way too, when I came back after being gone for a week. I started wondering if I had been gone longer!

This card was/is unclear to me also. The swords seem to be pointing in all different directions, and it feels chaotic and undirected. The 3-2-2 grouping doesn't speak to me either. The book mentions a second possible meaning as theft of ideas or creative energy. Perhaps if I take a later look, something will become apparent. (Unless the card has sucked out all my creative energy :) )