Etteilla

Herodotus

Are there any books out there on the subject of Etteilla decks? I don't read any French.

Thanks.

AnemoneRosie

I'm not sure about books (I read French) but there's a really great blog about how to read Etteilla cards!

Herodotus

Thanks! This is very helpful!

Barleywine

I'm not sure about books (I read French) but there's a really great blog about how to read Etteilla cards!

Thanks for the link! I read the descriptions of the court cards with interest since they focus heavily on personal interactions in a reading, especially the "facing" factor as an expression of compatibility. I have always started with court card interpretation in any reading as an indication of people who may be influencing the querent, and step off into the realm of more general "forces" and "energies" only if there are no obvious interpersonal connections at work in the matter. I find this the simplest way to treat the courts since a querent will usually relate most strongly to identification of people they may be dealing with, and less so to the more abstract interpretations. They both have their place, but I find querents engage more readily with an initial discussion of exterior influences rather than interior or psychological ones.

Sibylline

Whoa! Thanks AnemoneRosie! I had no idea that blog existed.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think the LoS Ettiella needs a modern and well-researched guidebook?

_R_

Ronald Decker's "The Esoteric Tarot" devotes 2 chapters to Etteilla; one to the man and his works, another to his approach to Tarot - divinatory meanings, spreads, use of cabala, etc.