Interest in a Deviant Moon Study Group?

redflash

Me me meeeeee !!!

How come there are only a few people up for a study group ?!!! I thought there would be gazillions !

Cosmic Ray

Hi Redflash. welcome to Deviant 101!
I think there is so much to look at and we need a place to start! Onyx, you have me wondering about that Death card now. My question is why is it the only trump unnamed? There is a sinking sailing vessel in the back, looks like the sails are torn. (I see that same ship in the world, but intact.) There is a small child being held back by it's mother? WHat does the child want? Death looks pregnant, how great is that? This death card also does not have the signature eye pattern as the rest of the deck, in fact, it is the only one lacking it. Interesting. I also notice the sea is black, and the sky is of a very rough texture, maybe a storm? Gosh, I could go on and on. Thoughts?

afrosaxon

This deck caught my eye when I saw it used in the Tarot Reflections's tarotscopes for July. Then another ATer did a reading for me and used the Deviant Moon as well.

I'm going to break down and buy it, so count me in! :D

T.

Onyx

Cosmic Ray said:
Hi Redflash. welcome to Deviant 101!
I think there is so much to look at and we need a place to start! Onyx, you have me wondering about that Death card now. My question is why is it the only trump unnamed? There is a sinking sailing vessel in the back, looks like the sails are torn. (I see that same ship in the world, but intact.) There is a small child being held back by it's mother? WHat does the child want? Death looks pregnant, how great is that? This death card also does not have the signature eye pattern as the rest of the deck, in fact, it is the only one lacking it. Interesting. I also notice the sea is black, and the sky is of a very rough texture, maybe a storm? Gosh, I could go on and on. Thoughts?

Oh Yearh! There are boats in many cards!

There look to be dragon/viking boats on the 4 and 10 of Cups.

There is a gondola in the Fool

A Single sail ship in the King of Cups

The Three sail ship is in the Queen of cups, The World and the Thirteenth Trump. (If the creator isn't going to call it Death, I surely am not either! I read somewhere, possibly Umbre's review that this was a traditional choice to leave it unnamed.)

Things I have notices in the last couple of hours.

Justices has a bunch of keys, I have asked this before but just notices that there is a key hole in the background wall/door (unclear) where does it go and what does Justice keep under lock and key?

there are from my count five cards that show what looks like the moon blowing on someone or something. (The Lovers, Ace of Cups, Three of Wands, 8 of Swords, and Judgement (unsure if this counts).)

New Questions:

I am desperate to find out what is written in the message carried by the black bird (raven/crow?) in the 8 of Wands?

There are many phases of the moon shown. Has any one seen a lunar eclipse yet?

What is the difference in the cards that show a full moon with the face and those that show the full moon without the face?

Okay back to looking and pairing up the cards.

Onyx.

afrosaxon

Onyx said:
I am desperate to find out what is written in the message carried by the black bird (raven/crow?) in the 8 of Wands?

I've had it interpreted as a message of life changes.

This is a good discussion to have in a separate thread for the 8 of Wands.

T.

TomTom

Don't start without me :)

My decks are stuck at Canadian customs for days :(

TomTom

Sulis

This deck hasn't even arrived in the UK and Europe yet.. I think that this will be a very busy group once everyone who wants a copy finally has their hands on it...
I for one will certainly join in :D

I think if folks want to start then they should just dive in, the threads will still be there waiting for others to add to them as their decks arrive :).

It's lovely to see such excitement over a new deck, I'll bet Patrick is feeling very proud of himself (and so he should).

Onyx

Daily Observation

Welcome to your daily dose of what I am currently looking at in this amazing deck.

In the Major Trumps, I think four people that fall together naturally. The High Priestess, the Empress, and the Emperor are just a tight square of the public, the private, societal and the spiritual. (For some reasons I think of the Magician as outside of this group, almost that he is the result of the work of the four.) As I was looking at these together as I do in every new deck I get I noticed that they all appear to be on a chess board. I know that at first I disregarded the fact that the floor is black and white squares but I could not ignore that they all seem to be sitting on the same little stools. Two of them are white and the other two are black. (The High Priestess and the Hierophant are on white stools, and the Emperor and the Empress are on black (okay gray) one.

This made me think because the game of chess makes an appearance also in the 10 of Pentacles. I think that I read somewhere that chess was important to the story behind the deck that he actually created the chess pieces he drew on the 10 of Pentacles. I can’t remember where I saw the picture of it.

The only other thing I could relate to this theme is the 2 of Cups where they appear to be standing on a black and white square floor. But they are in the corner of two walls so it may not relate.

Happy exploring,

Onyx.

Cosmic Ray

Yes, this is so true. There must be something special about the Empress, Emperor, High Priestess, and Hierophant. Maybe they are related somehow? Maybe the Hiero and Priestess are inlaws or something? Or maybe they are the ones who truley hold the power, since they frame the other two like a sandwich on the outsides? I find the 10 of pentacles to be the most facsinating 10 of pentacles in any deck I have ever seen. Talk about layers!

I have the deck spread out all over my floor right now. What an enigma!

Onyx

Cosmic Ray said:
I have the deck spread out all over my floor right now. What an enigma!

Ha! I had it spread out on my bed. Much Softer. But you are right this deck sometimes needs both the up close observation and the step back grand scale view as well.

I keep looking at the photo on the Deviant Moon website that has the whole deck on one sheet. I would love to have that sheet. I would have a frame made and hang it on a wall and just stare at it.

Onyx.