Deviant Moon; The Fool

Briar Rose

Deviant Moon; The Fool

The card shows a 'menacing Harlequin' beginning his journey through the canal, with a fish jumpin through his legs, and one fish bitting his other leg.
In the back ground is a brick wall, and buildings. There is also I gondola in the picture. The moon is wanning.

Thus begins of the journey the fool. His eyes wide open.

I believe the fish in the deck represent that we are never alone in this world.

Sar

He does not seem very naiv this fool. More like he actually got a plan with this journey.

Adrasteia

It looks to me that he is wearing a sleeping cap and pajamas ~ Perhaps to signify chasing one’s dreams.

The fish, one biting his raised leg and the other jumping forward, could be saying that you never really know where your dreams will lead you: Either joyfully ahead or painfully behind.

Since he is facing the fish that is biting him, I would tend to agree that he is not as naïve as the average fool.

callistoluna

I like this fool. Part jester/part sleeper. It's like he has just woken up to run and splash in the water. Plunged in and not even thought about the dangers or the reality. Puts me in mind of the Vicar of Dibley in the episode where she playfully jumps into a puddle and ends up waist deep in mud. LOL. Didn't turn out like she thought, but it was really funny:)

bumble bee

Deviant Moon the fool

It almost looks like he is teasing the fish- Na Na Na Na Na! He has jumped in the water representing emotions and it is muddy and the fish jump out and bit him. Hes young - Its like the school of hard knocks we all go thru when we are young and inexperienced.

RYANtheBassMan

callistoluna said:
It's like he has just woken up to run and splash in the water. Plunged in and not even thought about the dangers or the reality.

This is what a lot of other decks use to portray the fool. In the Rider Waite deck, it is as though the fool is joyfully on his journey unaware that he is about to head off a cliff.

mrmond

Adrasteia said:
Since he is facing the fish that is biting him, I would tend to agree that he is not as naïve as the average fool.

Either that, or... he raises his hand as if he wanted to scratch his head. As if he was wondering "Hmm, what does this fish want from me?" or perhaps asking himself what is this strange feeling in his leg.

I wonder what is he doing with his other hand? Could this be a mocking gesture perhaps?

RYANtheBassMan said:
This is what a lot of other decks use to portray the fool. In the Rider Waite deck, it is as though the fool is joyfully on his journey unaware that he is about to head off a cliff.

This seems just a little bit different than the usual portrayal... Jumping into the river is less dangerous than falling off of a cliff (unless... there's a waterfall on the way :D). So the Fool here is less careless, notices more of a reality. As someone already wrote, he seems like he might just have a vague shape of a plan in his head (the boat in the background indicates perhaps that's he's going to let himself be carried off by the river?), but still full of spontaneity.

iceclone

The fool is not properly dressed for his new adventure. I think he was so excited to start his new journey without taking much time to prepare. He just got out of bed and jumped to an unknown body of water (or canal according to the lwb's description).

The strange fishes are the surprises in his journey. One is biting him and one is not. These may well symbolize the challenges and experiences on his way.

His pajama has a balanced mixture of red and white stripes... color-wise, this means a combination of innocence and passion.

Rafaël

Why Venice?

Hi Moon addicts ;)

What I wonder about is why put The Fool in a Venice (Italy) context, since the main inspiration for the surrounding is from an old manufacture in New-York?
What meaning does it add? I associate Venice with arts, romance, tourism perhaps. Also with the Doges, Saint Marc and recently with flooding.
Any more ideas?

Rafaël

Herzog

imagination. curiosity. wonder. dreams. This Fool follows his inner vision, his inner voice...his dreams. He's dressed in pajamas and prancing around in water with fish biting at his ankles. This suggests a dreamlike reality...he is driven by his unconscious....the fish are his ideas...his creativity

The whole card expresses an attitude of unreality. When a person's reality is dreamlike, anything can happen.

Pay attention to your ideas, your imagination, your dreams. They are trying to tell you something important