Cards that say marriage

214red

I was playing with some cards preparing for a class, and the combo 3 of cups/4 of wands/Hierophant and the word marriage came into my head, I think it’s a perfect to represent it.

re-pete-a

The feeling in 3 cups could possibly mean there are already three, as in a child somewhere.
If you get marriage, then marriage it is.

214red

i didnt get marriage, it wasnt a reading it was playing with cards and this combo made sense as marriage to me, obviously it depends on the reading

re-pete-a

The time and moment of the impression is unique too. Logic sometimes fades the first impressions impact and becomes less likely to sustain life. Thinking about it can take away the colour and brilliance of that first impression.

nisaba

The problem with trying to come up with something to represent "marriage" is this.

You could - accurately - predict that your client will marry Person X.

that does not mean they will stay married to Person X.

It also does not tell you whether they will be happy with person X.

It also does not tell you whether they'd be happy with Person X, but after a while, Person X will be dying inside.

It also does not tell you whether the marriage would be long-lasting or short-lived.

It also does not tell you whether you might never actually go to church and buy the big expensive dress, but nevertheless, you and Person X might live together in happiness and harmony for many decades.

It also doesn't tell you whether you will marry Person X, then deeply regret it as they become abusive and trap you in a hateful situation for years.

Or whether *you'd* do that to them.

Marriage.

It's a church ceremony, a big dress, a piece of paper, and in some cultures a convention of one person changing their surname to make themselves look like a mere piece of property belonging to the other person.

Why do people stubbornly ask about marriage as such, when what they are (or should be) vitally interested in is the actual health of the relationship?

re-pete-a

Perhaps because they're led to believe that marriage is the final solution to happiness. Where the hunter and hunted become one for ever more . And a day.

But this has naught to do with the question or card indications.

Amanda

214red said:
I was playing with some cards preparing for a class, and the combo 3 of cups/4 of wands/Hierophant and the word marriage came into my head, I think it’s a perfect to represent it.

I think the 4 of Wands and the Hierophant would be sufficient enough. The 3 of Cups there right next to the 4 throws everything off for me. I tend to see the 3 of Cups as divorce a lot of times. It's not as "serious" to me as the institution of marriage... 3 of Cups is like the reception to me- the after-party, if not representing a divorce. ;)

Chiriku

In an RWS system, I echo Amanda_04's views that, theoretically at least, a 4 of Wands and the Hierophant together would arrive at "socially legitimized and encouraged union that is often celebrated--literally or figuratively--by society."

nisaba said:
Why do people stubbornly ask about marriage as such, when what they are (or should be) vitally interested in is the actual health of the relationship?

The same answer as with most human institutions and behaviors: Socialization.

And I *do* think your question is on-point here.

After all, if one wants to try to figure out what a certain card combination could represent, one has to arrive at the "essence" of that thing. What is the essence of "marriage?"

Mind you, this essence is only as it exists in the abstract or theoretical sense, as the OP is positing. Personally, I think this sort of abstract "What card could represent X?" is a good thought exercise, but not as helpful in an actual reading later down the line, when cards seemingly totally unrelated to marriage could pop up linked to others and tip off the alert reader to the idea of a "marriage."

But back to "the essence of marriage."

If it's "a long-term, monogamous relationship," then certain cards could seem ideal to represent it.

If it's "a long term, sometimes monogamous but also sometimes polygamous relationship," well, now some other cards could pop in the mix.

If it's "a happy domestic union" of any duration, yet other cards.

A "public ceremony legitimized by society," still other cards (my money's on the RWS Hierophant somewhere in the mix).

And so on...

Glass Owl

Amanda_04 said:
I think the 4 of Wands and the Hierophant would be sufficient enough. The 3 of Cups there right next to the 4 throws everything off for me. I tend to see the 3 of Cups as divorce a lot of times. It's not as "serious" to me as the institution of marriage... 3 of Cups is like the reception to me- the after-party, if not representing a divorce. ;)
I think that what you said has helped me to realize what was bugging me a bit about this combination. It could possibly mean marriage but for me these cards could point to a situation where someone is a partyer/player who has had their share of fun with various partners and then feels the need to settle down with someone and celebrate that important milestone, which they feel (for whatever the reason) is the proper thing to do at this particular stage in their life.

Feeling the need to get married for the sake of getting married. All I keep seeing is images of those bridal reality type shows.

LovelyMissAries

Having the 3 of Cups next to the 4 of Wands makes me think of something growing, so maybe they're married and there's a baby on the way but not born yet, similar to re-pete-a's answer. I just kept seeing the 3 of Cups sprout up underneath the 4 of Wands canvas. Maybe it's polygamous?