6 of wands and 6 of swords

214red

I just pulled to cards about a lesson to learn, and i got both sixes, wands and swords.
Looking at the cards they are very similar, there is movement forward, toward something, the person is not alone they have support.The mode of transport is different and the number of people involved are different.

What do people notice about the differences and the smilarities between the two cards.

Thanks
Nikki

Amanda

Perhaps the lesson is learning when to lead and be led and finding a balance between the two.

214red

funnily enough i was working through the cards and noticed that same thing, i am on the horse, but in the boat i am not the leader...i am simply along for the ride

Thanks amanda

Anastacia

All the sixes show aspects of the large compared to the small - the ones who have and are capable compared to those who don't and need help.

Compare the 6 wands to the 6 swords - in wands the rider is in control and is carried on horseback, above a sea of people - there is a lot of distance between the rider and the people, who may be mostly adoring, but can be seen as looking on jealously. He takes others to victory with him, but may be oblivious to how they really feel. The solutions here are creative and ambitious. People are caught up in the excitement of the moment.

In 6 swords - the person with the pole is in control, steering, carried in a boat supported by water. There are people huddled in the front of the boat. Here the solutions are about clear, logical decisions while being careful about disturbing the emotional depths. Gratitude and recognition for the help given will come much later here. People here are more in survival mode.

Shebelle

I read all 6s as harmony since they relate to Love. It's finding your other half.

Since Swords are about mental processes, problems, communication, and war, I tend to read the 6 of Swords as being about a solution to your problem, the discovery of the best way out of a bad situation (or just being able to navigate a complicated one), or even having someone around you whose input helps you come to some realization that is helpful to you (hence, Swords as communications).

I read Wands as being about passion, growth, energy, health (to a certain degree), and creativity. The 6 of Wands is, to me, about the harmony between an actor and her audience -- I do my bit and you applaud me. It's about taking pride in something...and also getting recognition (which you feel you deserve). It's about creative efforts that benefit from everyone's creative input, and also efforts that are encouraged to grow.

Wands and Swords are similar in that they tend to be more "active" or "fast" than the Cups or Pentacles, and both sort of deal with intangibles (unlike Pents) and are more outward-facing (as opposed to the Cups, which can be pretty introspective).

If I got these cards in a read about a lesson to learn, I'd say that maybe you need to be encouraged. People will be cooperative OR people may be solicitous of your input and advice. Go forth with confidence and stand by your beliefs. Speak with authority. Don't shy away from things, even if they seem difficult. It's a combination that speaks, to me, of being confident.

Baroli

Absolutely agree with Shebelle on 6s being about Harmony and the Lovers or Love.

I think though you have to see who you relate to in the two cards. Do you relate to the adoring masses shouting accolades to the victor, or do you identify with the Victor. It is in my mind, always a give and take thing going on in the sixes, which achieves the Harmony and balance. The same goes for the 6 of swords; do you identify with the ferrier of the boat, who is navigating through rough waters to get to safer smoother waters, or do you identify with the huddled woman or for that matter the small child next to the woman, seeking comfort or giving comfort. Again the give and take aspect is all over the place with that card.

Anastacia

Yes, but the Sixes show situations of inequality - not equal halves.

The Lovers often turns up when the needs of the individual are not being met in a relationhip or situation, and the balance of give and take needs to be adressed - what do I get from this cmmpared to what it costs me? How much of myself am I prepared to sideline - how much of the other person do I deny?

nisaba

Anastacia said:
All of the sixes do, in fact - the Six Pentacles shows fiscal inequality, and the Six Cups shows age/power inequality.

Perhaps the deck is trying to demonstrate that the message is something about the actual characteristics of the single *number*, rather than the two cards? It might be worthwhile reading a numerological text on the values of Six, and see if the message is actually in the number.

Amanda

Anastacia said:

The Lovers often turns up when the needs of the individual are not being met in a relationhip or situation, and the balance of give and take needs to be adressed - what do I get from this cmmpared to what it costs me? How much of myself am I prepared to sideline - how much of the other person do I deny?

Balance doesn't necessarily have to do with equality.

Anastacia

Amanda_04 said:
Balance doesn't necessarily have to do with equality.

Just noticed that these two Sixes both require balancing skills - on one the water and one on the horse.

Also was thinking that the Devil is part of the 6 story too.